North Coast 500 (with whisky detour!) (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Dunrobin Castle 18th century . We didn't pay to go in , being tight Yorkshire folk (y) plus it was massive and would have took hours to get round it , and we wanted to get to our campsite . To chill out for the evening .
But you can park up and walk to the right of the castle down an old road , with cobbled water drains to the side of it .
Once at the end of the road you come to the best side of the castle , for photos , we think .
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Dunrobin Castle 18th century . We didn't pay to go in , being tight Yorkshire folk (y) plus it was massive and would have took hours to get round it , and we wanted to get to our campsite . To chill out for the evening .
But you can park up and walk to the right of the castle down an old road , with cobbled water drains to the side of it .
Once at the end of the road you come to the best side of the castle , for photos , we think .
View attachment 124792 View attachment 124786 View attachment 124787 View attachment 124788 View attachment 124790 View attachment 124793
Lovely! Just what is Bev doing behind that big rock!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Anyway they may have won awards......
But we wouldn't recommend going out of your way to try them .
( very very greasy and we think twice cooked chips , that were hollow like freezer chips , the batter was very chewy on the haggis )
We were also disappointed. I think that us Yorkshire folk have higher expectations ;)

Dunrobin Castle is excellent - the falconry display is the best bit.

We're heading south on Monday morning, we might see you somewhere, depending on your planned itinerary.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Lovely! Just what is Bev doing behind that big rock!!

I'm trying out my sheewee :Eeek:

:wink:
Actually round the other side of the wall , it's a big carved stone , high backed bench. Probably where the gentry sat to get some nice fresh sea air , back in the day .

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I see from the chippy blackboard, they sourced their Markies spuds..................all the way from Cambridgeshire.
@Ralph-n-Bev, maybe the spuds don't travel well, hence your disappointment with them. :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
I don't think it was the produce Jock . The fish was ok inside , More the oil /fat and the amount of it in the batter andchips . It was soaked right into them .
There were two young lads cooking maybe the man who won the awards was on a day off !
Eating in pug tonight . Hot smoked salmon and salad . Ralph's got some more beers to try too.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I'm trying out my sheewee :Eeek:

:wink:
Actually round the other side of the wall , it's a big carved stone , high backed bench. Probably where the gentry sat to get some nice fresh sea air , back in the day .
I want/ need one of those Bev!!!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I don't think it was the produce Jock . The fish was ok inside , More the oil /fat and the amount of it in the batter andchips . It was soaked right into them .
There were two young lads cooking maybe the man who won the awards was on a day off !
Eating in pug tonight . Hot smoked salmon and salad . Ralph's got some more beers to try too.
I was Joking Bev. ;)

What beers did Ralph get to try please?

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
A lovely drive from the castle to the campsite on the coastal road . You could see for miles out over the lovely blue sea.
Now tucked up at the campsite . Lovely spot .
image.jpeg
We've just had a red hot shower in the clean and tidy block .
image.jpeg
Sea views again from the pitch .
image.jpeg
weve got some lovely neighbors
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Pugs resting up now , ready for a little short drive to Jon-o-Groates tomorrow . Bit touristy , but it's on the route , so it has to be done.
image.jpeg

We are sampling these tonight
image.jpeg
@JockandRita .
Not sure if it goes with hot smoked Scottish salmon and salad , but hey ! Don't think we will be late to bed tonight we're both whacked !

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
image-jpeg.124813
@JockandRita .
Not sure if it goes with hot smoked Scottish salmon and salad , but hey ! Don't think we will be late to bed tonight we're both whacked !
They both look worthy of a taste. (y)

Enjoy. :)

Jock.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
@JockandRita
Ralph says he's looking forward to trying the whiskey beer ,Belheather , but he's just finishing off his raspberries and cream .
Nice food , nice booze, and fantastic places make good holidays .
We've been lucky with the weather and lack of midges so far. Think we're supposed to get some rain in the afternoon tomorrow though .
It's supposed to drop right down in temperature tonight too .
The Webasto may even be on .....

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
A lovely drive from the castle to the campsite on the coastal road . You could see for miles out over the lovely blue sea.
Now tucked up at the campsite . Lovely spot . View attachment 124807We've just had a red hot shower in the clean and tidy block . View attachment 124808 Sea views again from the pitch .View attachment 124809weve got some lovely neighbors View attachment 124810 View attachment 124811 Pugs resting up now , ready for a little short drive to Jon-o-Groates tomorrow . Bit touristy , but it's on the route , so it has to be done. View attachment 124812
We are sampling these tonight View attachment 124813 @JockandRita .
If these beers are as good as other Belhaven beers I've tasted then you're in for a treat. Enjoy and sleep well!(y)

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
For the driver and passenger that sleep in the car (n)
Maybe too embarrassed to sleep in a caravan :sneaky:

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
I think that may be it (y)
Not sure though .:LOL:
Ralph's stuck to the old jock and 80 shilling beer tonight . BTW.
He's totally couched nearly asleep . As am I .

So , Jon-o-Groates tomorrow . (y)

There's a couple of caravans , a land rover camper , autosleeper pvc , and one of those off roading boxy wagon campers ( can't remember their names ) on the campsite .
Very quiet , and peaceful . Lovely sea views .
We'd recommend . Mind you the one we were at last night was lovely too . With the Dolphins .
Come to Scotland it's lovely Jubbley hahaha

Last edited:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Could it be someone who wants to leave their van there during the week and visit at weekends.
OK, that makes sense.
I think that may be it (y)
Not sure though .:LOL:
Ralph's stuck to the old jock and 80 shilling beer tonight . BTW.
He's totally couched nearly asleep . As am I .
So , Jon-o-Groates tomorrow . (y)
There's a couple of caravans , a land rover camper , autosleeper pvc , and one of those off roading boxy wagon campers ( can't remember their names ) on the campsite .
Very quiet , and peaceful . Lovely sea views .
We'd recommend . Mind you the one we were at last night was lovely too . With the Dolphins .
Come to Scotland it's lovely Jubbley hahaha
Quite a bit of that doesn't though! - what're you on Bev? :rolleyes:

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
If you ever travel to Callendar from Strathyre at Kilmahog the Lade Inn has a shop that sells Scottish beers from Black Isle and Cairngorm breweries and others such as Fyne. Sheepshaggers and Stag such interesting names.:D

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Ralph-n-Bev said:
and one of those off roading boxy wagon campers ( can't remember their names )
A demountable possibly? ;)

I hope you both had a peaceful night's sleep (with Ralph snoring away the effects of the beers ;) ), and are ready for John O' Groats. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
We both had a great sleep . Woke up to a lovely sunny day . We didn't need the Webasto on as it didn't drop cold enough .

Uni mog , I think they call those vans Jock . Like the ones you use in Oz /Africa etc.
I remembered when I woke up this morning ! (y)

First stop today is The Grey Cairns of Camster , which is supposed to be midge heaven:eek: But we will be prepared just in case !
Moving on to Whaligeo Steps .
Then on to Wick .
Moving on to Sinclairs Bay and Freswick Bay . Hoping to see some seals and orcas here .
Finally on to Jon-O-Groates where we camp for the night . But after tea we are going on to Duncansby Head light house , to see the Stacks .
Then that will be the East coast leg done. Pictures to follow 3G permitting .

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Loving your blog and pictures love the East coast too. (y)
The East coast part of the far North often gets dismissed by people posting about the NC500, but as Ralph and Bev (and a few others) have shown, while it might not have the 'magnificence' of the West side, it has delights all of its own.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
There are lots of roads that hug the coast on the east side and bridges, a few years since I went to remember all the detail, but I certainly wont avoid the east when I go again. Found some lovely forgotten places off the main route too. Saw the porpoises at Banff. Might go again in 2/3 weeks.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Sounds great Bev .we found John o groats a right dump a few years ago! Derelict big hotel ,a gift shop And a man charging money to take your picture by the post . :eek: We sneaked one for free when he went for a waz!!:LOL:
But the ferries to the Orkneys looked great and we said we would like to do that.:)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We did a one-day ferry-&-coach trip to Orkney; well worth it, a good "taster" that left us wanting to see much, much more. I expect we'll be back, in the moho.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
It's chucking it down here in Stornoway right now ,looks like it's heading your way

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back