North Coast 500 (with whisky detour!) (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Will do @Kool Kroozer
image.png

And we've not even started on the NC500 yet. Bring it onnnnnnnn.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
I bought 6 bottles at £29 from waitrose online. Not keen on this version of pulteney
View attachment 124307
Bargain Andy !
£4.40 a shot in the pub (y)
We both preferred the old Pultney but it was a different version we had in the Star. So many whiskeys so little time .......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Lovely photos and food looks great ,proper grub!!
Did I say Bev that I hate lovely thin people who say they are fat...!!:LOL: No house side in those shorts love!!

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Saw this in Moffat town today. We've never seen one before. It was the same size width as our xlwb PUG . Bed across the back with a hinge lift up. Garage storage underneath . Proper door on side. Never heard of them before . The cab was cut under the door and top of the windscreen. To bond to a 1 peice fibreglass body.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
View attachment 124317 View attachment 124318 Saw this in Moffat town today. We've never seen one before. It was the same size width as our xlwb PUG . Bed across the back with a hinge lift up. Garage storage underneath . Proper door on side. Never heard of them before . The cab was cut under the door and top of the windscreen. To bond to a 1 peice fibreglass body.
Those vans are like the tardis!!

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
We're now in Aviemore.
image.jpeg
The sun is with us again .
This is the first time we've been to Aviemore without snow , it's always got a good vibe , especially in the ski season .
Here's a few pics of today . We are staying High Range .
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
It's got an Italian restaurant on site . Which is great if you like all you can eat buffet style Italian food , very reasonable . We've been several times when the kids were small lots of pizza ,pasta ,salad .
image.jpeg
We've actually taken the kids to this hotel /spa swimming in the past . When we've been up here skiing . You can see the snow on the ground outside from the pool .
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

We're in the Bridge inn having a couple of drinks now , before our meal .
It's worth booking here , as it's always busy if you want to eat .

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Here's one for you @JockandRita
We saw it and thought of you.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The beer is sh!te up here.
Like the worstest home brew ever .
Not like Yorkshire ale , we're definitely spoilt ....... With our beers and ales .
Tried a couple of different pints in the pub tonight , but we left it !
I'm on the wine and Ralph's on bottled beer ! Just ordering the food. Internet is slow so will post meal tomorrow .

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Here's one for you @JockandRita
We saw it and thought of you. View attachment 124415View attachment 124416
The beer is sh!te up here.
Like the worstest home brew ever .
Not like Yorkshire ale , we're definitely spoilt ....... With our beers and ales .
Tried a couple of different pints in the pub tonight , but we left it !
I'm on the wine and Ralph's on bottled beer ! Just ordering the food. Internet is slow so will post meal tomorrow .
That's more like it @Ralph-n-Bev. You've picked a smasher there. (y)

Re the beer, there are lots of little micro breweries creating some cracking real ales in Scotland.............but it did take some years for them to catch on. :LOL:
Beers from the Arran Brewery, and the Orkney Brewery are worthy of tasting. One of my favourites is Dark Island, from the latter. Enjoy your meal, and your bottles of Old Jock. :)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

P.S. Schehallion from the Harviestoun Brewery is a Lager based real ale, and very nice too. (y)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I must agree on the beer, yet to find a decent Scottish brewed bitter, but we keep trying as well :)

I have to revert back to continental lager for consistency when my own stocks run out, really cant see why they cant make beer like we like it though and I don't like whiskey :( Bev's favourite that Bunnerhanarummer stuff, £28 from Ocado last month. Recommended by Alan @Moodybrook (not heard from you for a while) we had a whiskey tasting on a Dumfiries car park a couple of years ago, Bev had bought another from Islay we didn't find the Bunnahana place

We always find Aviemore slightly odd in summer, like you say it buzzes in winter, useful stop off although we have now migrated to Grantown on Spey

upload_2016-9-15_19-23-2.png

not sure how far you are going tomorrow but the weather gods look to be with you still :)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I must agree on the beer, yet to find a decent Scottish brewed bitter, but we keep trying as well :)
Och away David. If you are referring to the big boy breweries, then I agree with you. :( Have you tried ales from the Harviestoun Brewery, or ales from the Caledonian Brewery, or the Belhaven Brewery (unfortunately Greene King owned now :cry: ) ?

Cheers, :drink:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Och away David. If you are referring to the big boy breweries, then I agree with you. :( Have you tried ales from the Harviestoun Brewery, or ales from the Caledonian Brewery, or the Belhaven Brewery (unfortunately Greene King owned now :cry: ) ?

Cheers, :drink:

I would reckon over the years I must have tried them all Jock, although I don't recognise Harviestoun, I would add that there is a lot of English beer I wouldn't drink twice

Maybe I am getting too fussy with age :LOL:, definitely a pale ale man now, not the dark ones :)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
definitely a pale ale man now, not the dark ones :)
Ah, in that case David, Harviestoun and Caledonian might be the choice. ;)

I think there are too many Blonde Hoppy beers about these days, ie, it seems to be the fashionable beer to drink. :(

Anyway, back on topic, where next @Ralph-n-Bev? ;)

Cheers,

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
@JockandRita Hahaha I know It's that thin , so thin , I think you can even drink it when pregnant !
We liked the look of the can , in the local shop , we won't have it again..... Not like our usual Theakstones old Perculiar , that's for sure.
Hope you're not looking for bitter in Scotland :LOL:

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Used the star in moffatt for 25 years when on the lorry,used to go twice a week from somerset doug used to be the owner then great bloke, not quite sure if his daughter owns it now good memories

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Right we've got 3G again. We're up the Cairngorms !
Just been for a good walk where you'd normally be skiing .
Pictures to follow , but first last nights meal for the foodies in the forum .
image.jpeg
Not an extensive menu , but all freshly prepared and local produce .
image.jpeg
For starters I had Shetland scallops, twice cooked pork belly, sweetcorn purée, veg relish
image.jpeg
Ralph had Venison haunch, black pudding cream , with pickled cherries.
image.jpeg
Main course I had local lamb rump, haricot beans, braised gem lettuce, with butternut squash purée
image.jpeg
Ralph had Gigha halibut roasted on the bone with potato gratin and tomato and wine broth.
image.jpeg
for dessert i had Salted caramel cake with chocolate cream and a whiskey and brown butter ice cream . Ralph had the bourbon poached peach, with Alvie raspberries and vanilla ice cream
image.jpeg
a picture of the bar area , buster is under the table as dogs are allowed in this area.
image.jpeg
Through to the right of this picture there's the posher restaurant area. No dogs .
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Ralph liked this bottled beer the best . We gave up on the draught stuff. I stuck to red wine .
The food is fab , albeit on the small portion side.
But hey , that way you can fit in 3 courses each and still have room for beer !

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Lovely food photos! And liking the Pavlov's Dogs beer! Learnt about Pavlov's dogs and conditioning at college many years ago!!
Enjoy your trip.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
image.jpeg
Today we thought we'd go up the Cairngorms as we've only ever been up to ski , before . It had rained through the night but was bright and sunny as we set off. Once up there it was cloudy but dry . We had some lunch in Pug.
image.jpeg
Some great sculptures of skiers up there.
image.jpeg
We've bought a selfie stick!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Lots of lovely wood carvings inside the ski centre. Dogs aren't allowed up the feniculla ( ski lift )
image.jpeg
You can see the lift below.
image.jpeg
Buster the Border Terrier .
I see wabbits !
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Bumped into a funster Sid @seesaw who's very lucky to work up here on the mountain. He saw Pug and came over for a look , as he'd followed the build. What a nice man , and what a beautiful place to go to work everyday .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Heading over to Inverness castle the starting point to the NC500 now.
A quick food shop , then onto the Black Isle . There we will be staying Fortrose Bay campsite . We're hoping to spot some dolphins at Chanonry Point this afternoon . Fingers crossed .

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Looks like your having a great time. Keep up the photos.

The bottle of beer you showed Broughton beer is brewed not that far away from your favourite towns as its just up the road from Moffat.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
A selfie stick is the way to go!!! :LOL:I forgot I had one for xmas never used it must look for it now!! Get great pictures of backgrounds as well as peops!!!
Enjoy!

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
A selfie stick is the way to go!!! :LOL:I forgot I had one for xmas never used it must look for it now!! Get great pictures of backgrounds as well as peops!!!
Enjoy!
I've got one but can't get an adapter for my box brownie camera:)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Arrived at our campsite Fortrose campsite on the Black Isle
image.jpeg
parked up right at the end of the site . Lovely views .
image.jpeg
Having tea in the Pug , not the pub tonight .
image.jpeg
Pasta with king prawns for me , chicken and bacon for Ralph .
image.jpeg
We are now sat in the evening sun dolphin watching , well looking out for Dolphins ! Fingers crossed . We're well prepared , warm clothes ,wine,beer,chairs......
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
If we manage to catch some on film we shall post . Have a good evening everyone , whatever your up to xx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back