Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
26 years
Hi all. We are going to France for a quick trip in June. Planning to do some of the museums and beaches.
We are going Newhaven to Dieppe and would be glad to hear of any good places to visit and stop, Aires or municipal sites preferably. And the best places to visit...
Any great ideas?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We’ve just been to the aire at Merville-Franceville-Plage. Merville Battery and museum are good to visit. Walk along from the aire and visit the Redoubt ( currently being refurbished as a restaurant). Nice beach to walk on too. (Sword Beach)
Pegasus bridge nearby, great museum and outside displays including the original bridge and memorials where the D Day gliders landed
The Grand Bunker at Ouistrehem then all the landing beaches up to St Màre Église with the “parachutist” hanging on the church roof
Also, watch “The Longest Day” before you go. Fantastic film covering D Day and how the parachutist got on the church.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankiej

Frankiej

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
26 years
Thanks, @Allanm will mark these all off to visit.
Will try to see the movie before we go. Going to a special screening of The Dambusters tonight....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Get the 'searchforsites.co.uk' app on your phone or computer.

It shows up; Camp sites, Aires, Wild camping sites along with any facilities at each, plus photos and reviews if submitted previously.
Used it all over France and Spain and UK. Campercontact is good too but I find the Searchforsites format easier to use.

If you get chance visit the café at Pegasus Bridge. The owner, Arlette Gondrée, (if she's still alive) is a living part of the history and she is a fantastic and beautiful person to talk to. Loves Brits. The café is unique too.

Cheers
Nik

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
If you get to Pegasus Bridge near the 6th June, the place will be busy due to the DDay anniversary celebrations. We were there last year, great atmosphere and lots of extra things to see.
I agree with Nik above about the cafe, we were there yesterday though we didn’t see Mme Gondrée
If you visit the beaches, most have brilliant museums, early June will be busy but you will get into the spirit of the place.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
The 360 degree cinema above the beach at Arromanche has a great Aire overlooking the remains of the Mulberry harbour but you are made to move on at 8am the following morning now

OP
OP
Frankiej

Frankiej

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
26 years
If you get to Pegasus Bridge near the 6th June, the place will be busy due to the DDay anniversary celebrations. We were there last year, great atmosphere and lots of extra things to see.
I agree with Nik above about the cafe, we were there yesterday though we didn’t see Mme Gondrée
If you visit the beaches, most have brilliant museums, early June will be busy but you will get into the spirit of the place.

Didn’t think about that, we will be there 8 June so May see some of it?

OP
OP
Frankiej

Frankiej

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
26 years
Get the 'searchforsites.co.uk' app on your phone or computer.

It shows up; Camp sites, Aires, Wild camping sites along with any facilities at each, plus photos and reviews if submitted previously.
Used it all over France and Spain and UK. Campercontact is good too but I find the Searchforsites format easier to use.

If you get chance visit the café at Pegasus Bridge. The owner, Arlette Gondrée, (if she's still alive) is a living part of the history and she is a fantastic and beautiful person to talk to. Loves Brits. The café is unique too.

Cheers
Nik

I got the campercontact app but haven’t looked at search for sites, thanks will do that.
Personal recommendations are always good though...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes D Day week is the best time to go, loads going on. WW2 military vehicles diosplays and charging about on the beaches, military camps set up, air displays, fireworks displays in loads of towns & villages. Loads of places to stop for some they stop charging for the period.
Young need to get information from the tourist office in each district as they only list the local events.

If possible I would try and go over at least a week before your date to get the best out of it.
D Day week is a truly great week not to be missed. We have done it several times including the big anerversery.

Oh don't forget to take your 1940's cloths and uniform.:)

A few photos from the last time we went (guess who is in the 1st one:))

P1000680.JPG

P1000639.JPG

P1000645.JPG

P1000648.JPG

P1000664.JPG

P1000667.JPG

P1000684.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankiej

Frankiej

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
26 years
Yes D Day week is the best time to go, loads going on. WW2 military vehicles diosplays and charging about on the beaches, military camps set up, air displays, fireworks displays in loads of towns & villages. Loads of places to stop for some they stop charging for the period.
Young need to get information from the tourist office in each district as they only list the local events.

If possible I would try and go over at least a week before your date to get the best out of it.
D Day week is a truly great week not to be missed. We have done it several times including the big anerversery.

Oh don't forget to take your 1940's cloths and uniform.:)

A few photos from the last time we went (guess who is in the 1st one:))

View attachment 232038

View attachment 232039

View attachment 232040

View attachment 232041

View attachment 232042

View attachment 232044

View attachment 232045

Looks great, but now worried we won’t find any spaces on campsites and Aires....:unsure:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Looks great, but now worried we won’t find any spaces on campsites and Aires....:unsure:
No problem at all, even on the big anniversary (2014), those pics were 2015.
If the Aire is full often an overspill area. At Arromanches they open up a big field for parking where the D514 takes a shape right, you can stay there overninght (free of course) they won't let you stay in the car parks on top of the cliffs overnight. Arromanches is where you get the vehicles on the beach, don't even attempt to go to the aire only a few spaces an cars often park in the sevices & van spaces. There is a site about a 100yds from the field.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Looks a fantastic event @Lenny HB definitely on the todo list (y)

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
We stayed on the camping municipal in Arromanches in September last year. Site was fine and nice easy walk into the town. We second the recommendation for the 360 but its a steep walk up there. We took the overnight ferry and our first stop was Pegasus bridge so we were able to park in their carpark well before it opened. Easy mh parking at all the sites we visited.
Feel free to pm us

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Juno beach just up the hill on the coast road to the west form the Canadian Museum is a Motorhome parking Area marked on Goole maps as an Aire, signs saying No overnighting Camping Cars but nobody cares around D Day.
Omaha beach just west of the Museum similar and there is a camping car parks Aire just up the road turn left at the crossroads also big wild spot at the crossroads.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Hi all. We are going to France for a quick trip in June. Planning to do some of the museums and beaches.
We are going Newhaven to Dieppe and would be glad to hear of any good places to visit and stop, Aires or municipal sites preferably. And the best places to visit...
Any great ideas?

Grandcamp-Maisy (25 miles West along the coast from Arromanches) is a nice little town with a campsite - Camping Capefun at the West edge of town and a decent Aire at the East edge by the Fire Station!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Can't remember the name but a few miles inland from Grandcamp-Maisy there is a large patch of land brought by an English family. They dug out all the WW2 trenches and gun emplacements, found guns to mount, there building I remember German officers quarters etc. You actually walk round in the trenches, very interesting, I'll find some photos tomorrow.
Also Senior rate was about €2 when we went.

OP
OP
Frankiej

Frankiej

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
26 years
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions, I have written them all down in my book and planning a route, which may or may not be adhered to!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Can't remember the name but a few miles inland from Grandcamp-Maisy there is a large patch of land brought by an English family. They dug out all the WW2 trenches and gun emplacements, found guns to mount, there building I remember German officers quarters etc. You actually walk round in the trenches, very interesting, I'll find some photos tomorrow.
Also Senior rate was about €2 when we went.
We went there last year, very impressive what they have done, and still more digging to do, I think they have uncovered less than half the site.
Apparently, the Americans tried to hide it all because of a D Day c#ck up!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back