Normandy beaches (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Morning guys. We are driving to Normandy at the end of this month and picking up my mate whose travelling from Jersey at St Malo for a tour of the Beaches. He's never been to the Beaches before and has a week before we take him back to St Malo. Has anyone any recommendations on the best way to organise the tour? Should we drive from St Malo to Pegasus Bridge and start the Tour there so that we finish back at St Malo?

mta

Free Member
Oct 21, 2013
nuneaton
Funster No
MH
Carado T138
Exp
since 2000
Guess that was about 1944, june at a stab.
St Malo has an interesting fort to visit with a lot of scars on machine gun cupolas that really shows the ferocity of the attack by allied forces.

Last edited:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I can't really advise on route, order of visits etc... But I would say take time out to do something different as well--a market, maybe some open air music. Visiting the beaches, and any graves you might visit, can be very sobering and weigh heavy on you -make sure you balance it with a little lightness. I have known people come back from such visits very depressed so it is important to look after yourselves.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I used to drive kids coach trips through the beaches area. Would recommend you start at Pegasus Bridge - great museum there, then work slowly south along the coast, finishing up at Colville, the American Cemetery. This also seems to have some kind of chronological order to it too. Take opportunities for "side trips" as you see them, but the total length of the invasion beaches is actually not all that big and using the N12 will get you to almost anywhere in the area quite quickly.

From a m/h point of view this also reduces the chances of meeting a tour coach on the often narrow roads - they go this way too!

Plenty of campsites as well as the usual aires.

mta

Free Member
Oct 21, 2013
nuneaton
Funster No
MH
Carado T138
Exp
since 2000
forgot to mention a must see......Merville Battery close to Pegasus bridge. They have a superb sound and light recreation of the storming of a gun stronghold.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back