Norfolk/Suffolk suggestions please (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks to all for your replies. It seems that the area is busy with all campsites suggested (save one I'm waiting on a response from ) are fully booked. Still there are lots of CLs and some suggestions here that I will get onto tomorrow.
Always 'wing it' in mainland Europe (always found somewhere), but don't feel confident doing that in the UK.

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
A friend got a last minute cancellation CL in Lower Gresham, Norfolk this last weekend. Said it was really good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 5, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Whenever we are staying on the Broads at Ludham we visit Gorleston-on-Sea.
With free parking for cars and motohomes, a fantastic dog friendly beach and superb food at the Beach Cafe, it never disappoints.

prentii

Free Member
May 10, 2016
suffolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2016
Holkham beach is great for kids but arrive early to get parking. Sea is usually clean and warm and less cross tide than Wells.

Take a picnic and windbreak and you are set for the day. End up in wells for fish and chips.

Beware north Norfolk beaches for rip tides etc - look up places before you set off.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Our 9 year old has asked if we can not look at too many 'monuments' on this trip!

I'm really pleased that funsters have come up with a lot of good suggestions for you

I am also very much on the side of your 9 year old - how about a "no monuments' holiday?
I consider looking at monuments as the sort of thing I'll do when I'm really, really old - like when I'm at least 130 🙂

Hope you have a great trip

Gritto

Free Member
Jun 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
IH J1000
Exp
1 month
Hunstanton is a nice town. Free parking all day on Cliff Parade but not overnight in summer. Dog friendly beach at Old Hunstanton which is the lighthouse end of town. Great fish and chips at Fishers as well.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I'm really pleased that funsters have come up with a lot of good suggestions for you

I am also very much on the side of your 9 year old - how about a "no monuments' holiday?
I consider looking at monuments as the sort of thing I'll do when I'm really, really old - like when I'm at least 130 🙂

Hope you have a great trip
To see a really old monument you just look in the mirror :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
North Norfolk coast is all good.
Steam railway at Sheringham.
Holt is a lovely Norfolk town. Has a country park with lovely walks.
Wells next the sea - crabbing for kids along the quay, little steam railway, great fish and chips. See the place from a webcam via the link below.
Cromer lovely but can be crowded in summer.
Be careful if you take the coast roads as the are frighteningly narrow through some villages even for cars.
The village of Thornham (well just outside really) has Drive Orchards. A lovely farm shop, a fresh fish shop, pizza takeaway and Eric's Fish and Chips - the best in Norfolk.

Wells webcam

Drove Orchards

Eric's Fish and Chips

Enjoy your visit. We are lucky enough to live in North Norfolk.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
North Norfolk coast is all good.
Steam railway at Sheringham.
Holt is a lovely Norfolk town. Has a country park with lovely walks.
Wells next the sea - crabbing for kids along the quay, little steam railway, great fish and chips. See the place from a webcam via the link below.
Cromer lovely but can be crowded in summer.
Be careful if you take the coast roads as the are frighteningly narrow through some villages even for cars.
The village of Thornham (well just outside really) has Drive Orchards. A lovely farm shop, a fresh fish shop, pizza takeaway and Eric's Fish and Chips - the best in Norfolk.

Wells webcam

Drove Orchards

Eric's Fish and Chips

Enjoy your visit. We are lucky enough to live in North Norfolk.
My gripe with Eric’s fish and chips is the delivery have to go the barns at the back but the access is through the car park where they are all parked for their fish and chips etc. No room for an artic to move through there. Apart from that lovely place.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
My gripe with Eric’s fish and chips is the delivery have to go the barns at the back but the access is through the car park where they are all parked for their fish and chips etc. No room for an artic to move through there. Apart from that lovely place.
I suspect that most people reading this may not be visiting by driving a delivery arctic there.

Nitram77

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2020
Kettering, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Some, but still alot to learn!!
I would second all the suggestions of Wells next the Sea, Sheringham etc and add crabbing at Blakeney plus trip by boat to see the seals. Also beach at Brancaster is on a par with Holkham.
Some great walks in the Sandringham estate just dont climb over any walls, as who knows what security detail may be lurking. Good castle just outside Kings Lynn - Castle Rising - Our kids ran riot there at about age 9!!
If you are up for a bit of cycling there are some easy going routes to be found.
Have fun

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Bircham windmill used to have activities going on.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
We have had to make a last minute change of plan (due to quarantine imposed in France and uncertainty with other countries), so instead of heading down to the Dordogne we have decided to head to the Norfolk/Suffolk area.

Looking for suggestions of places to visit and stay. Our 9 year old has asked if we can not look at too many 'monuments' on this trip!

I think going to see the seals would be great, although if we could do this without the boat trip that would be great (wife gets very sick in small boats).

We're happy with everything from CL's and campsites, to overnight stops (although I don't imagine there are too many places like that there).

Any recommendations would be great, along with any local knowledge of 'quiet' (if that's possible at the moment!), beaches/other places of interest with motorhome friendly parking!

Thanks All :)
The Peewit campsite at Felixstowe , Suffolk , Very large Lidl next door it's an old site , but, within walking distance to beach , amusements , 2 mile prom , pier, a bit of a nice walk is the viewing area , with very nice cafe , where you can watch the biggest container ships in the world come in , in the same area you can catch a small ferry to Harwich.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Nice cream teas at Poppy lands Horsey with a Dads Army type theme and museum plus little gift shop. Nearby Nelson pub is close to the beach for seal viewing. There's also horse and donkey sanctuaries and a pet zoo at Reedham. Some cs sites are still open and some have hook up.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Go a little bit further south, Try Landguard Fort, Felixstowe, Suffolk, its only open the weekends, you can either use Peewit campsite up the road, or park by the railings of left battery next to the fort, interesting for all the family with some fantastic history. walk down to the viewing area and watch the massive container ships from all over the world.
https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/landguard-fort

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back