None DVLA registered self duilds and MOT's (1 Viewer)

Mr Drizz

Free Member
Aug 14, 2021
Liverpool, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Dispatch.
Exp
2018 but still a newbie.
So I'm just starting my self build journey, a 2016 Citroen Dispatch.

Pretty excited to get cracking but someone mentioned in passing that a camper van has a slightly different MOT. But that's for registered campers and MoHo isn't it?

My van will never pass the DVLA requirements to be classed as a camper van so do I just get a regular class VII MOT as technically it is still a panel van in the DVLA eyes.

Thanks.
Mark.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Might not be classed as motorhome... but if you follow DVLA and get it registered as "van with windows" then in all intents and purposes it's same as motorhome and therefore class 4 (car) mot.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Edit just reread... are you saying you will be converting inside to camper but leaving outside as a stealth looking builders van ????

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mr Drizz

Mr Drizz

Free Member
Aug 14, 2021
Liverpool, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Dispatch.
Exp
2018 but still a newbie.
Edit just reread... are you saying you will be converting inside to camper but leaving outside as a stealth looking builders van ????
Ahhh yes I should have mentioned that I do intend to add windows. (This weekend I hope)
I never thought that van with windows would've made a difference as it's still a van.

Worth getting it registered as such then.

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
My local guy says that "if it's got a sink and a bed in it, then I do it as a Class 4". I've got a 3500kg Transit, and he doesn't check the V5C. The price difference to a Class 7 is minimal anyway.

The DVSA has an MOT inspection manual here. If you've got 12 or fewer seats you're Class 4, or Class 5 for 13 or more seats. Appendix C says:
A ‘motor caravan' is a motor vehicle which is both:
• constructed or adapted for the carriage of passengers and their effects
• permanently installed with equipment and facilities which are reasonably necessary to enable the vehicle to provide mobile living accommodation
Motor caravans are in Class 4 or 5 depending on their seating capacity. Size or weight doesn’t determine which class the motor caravan is in.
In other words, you don't need any sort of 'registration'.

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
Think it may also depend if the MOT station has the facilities to test heavy vehicles, not all garages have the necessary equipment. We have a Citroen Relay PVC converted from new and until last year our go to MOT garage could not test it, however since they upgraded the garage they now can.

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
Think it may also depend if the MOT station has the facilities to test heavy vehicles, not all garages have the necessary equipment. We have a Citroen Relay PVC converted from new and until last year our go to MOT garage could not test it, however since they upgraded the garage they now can.
The class doesn't depend on the weight, unless you're a "Goods Vehicle" (and you're not, if you're "permanently installed with equipment and facilities etc", which makes you a motor caravan instead). For goods vehicles, it's Class 4 up to 3000kg, and then Class 7 up to 3500kg.

I think the problem with getting your local garage to do the test is that many of them don't have ramps rated beyond 3000kg.

OP
OP
Mr Drizz

Mr Drizz

Free Member
Aug 14, 2021
Liverpool, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Dispatch.
Exp
2018 but still a newbie.
Thanks, guys.
Need to look at getting it re-registered as a van with windows. Once I get my V5 back.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back