Noisy sliding door (1 Viewer)

Lost Sun

Free Member
Aug 13, 2017
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout
OK so I'm looking for a bit of guidance. We have a 2015 Globescout and when travelling there are loads of squeeks and rattles coming from the sliding door area. We do not have the electric close and I wondered if anyone else had cured noises in this area?
Simon

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Have you tried silicone lube,spray it on.

OP
OP
Lost Sun

Lost Sun

Free Member
Aug 13, 2017
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout
On which part? that's really the issue. I can't tell when I'm driving where the noise is coming from. I have a silicon lube but what areas of the door would help, or could it be the blinds?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Don’t know enough about that particular vehicle I’m afraid. But I think @Minxy Girl has one and expect she’ll be along soon with the answer.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
My on board engineer (Ann) sorts out all the rattles, squeeks, fridge and unlocked drawers whilst I drive. You say "we" Can your other half locate it?

OP
OP
Lost Sun

Lost Sun

Free Member
Aug 13, 2017
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout
It needs greasing / adjusting. It's simple worn.
Not too sure about greasing. Many of the parts are sealed bearings and designed to run dry. Grease may cause another issue further along the way.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If it's like our Ducato PVC there isn't a lot to adjust on the sliding door but you could check all the screws are tight. You could also check the door is closing against the rubber seal. Use a bit of paper and check it gets trapped all the way round the door.
My guess the noises are coming from somewhere else. You could try driving with the door window blind closed and see if that makes a difference. Also check the bit of kitchen which sits across the door and flyscreen if you have one. Blinds below roof lights are also a source of rattles. Again, try driving with them closed or open and see if there is any difference. :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not too sure about greasing. Many of the parts are sealed bearings and designed to run dry. Grease may cause another issue further along the way.
do NOT grease a sliding door, quickest way to wear it out, collects grit and dust and grinds it away also sticks the little wheels in one place and you get a flat spot and they no longer turn:(:(

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

I can't help feeling that even sealed roller bearings will wear the steel tracks they are running along.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I can't help feeling that even sealed roller bearings will wear the steel tracks they are running along.
i know it sounds daft but they will wear the tracks even quicker if greased , it acts like a grinding paste, and eventually the wheels will get a flat spot and slide against the track instead of turning.

Deleted User
Our Globecar rattles a lot from the sliding door window, less if the blinds are closed but I think some noise is inevitable.

Reactions: DBK
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Silicone spray on the rubber stopped my sliding door squeaking on my PVC (fiat ducato), it also worked on the works sprinter van sliding door when it was squeaking and on my old car boot as well. I've only ever had to apply it once to each.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Lost Sun

Lost Sun

Free Member
Aug 13, 2017
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout
Silicone spray on the rubber stopped my sliding door squeaking on my PVC (fiat ducato), it also worked on the works sprinter van sliding door when it was squeaking and on my old car boot as well. I've only ever had to apply it once to each.
When you say on the rubber, do you mean that massive black rubber on the inside where the door closes?

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
When you say on the rubber, do you mean that massive black rubber on the inside where the door closes?

The door seal (couldn't think of the name for it before :rolleyes:), definitely runs around the top, can't remember without nipping out to have a look if it runs down the side and bottom. I know it's on the top as I'm forever pushing it back into place.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Don’t know enough about that particular vehicle I’m afraid. But I think @Minxy Girl has one and expect she’ll be along soon with the answer.
The only thing that made a noise in that area on our Familyscout was the window blind which was caused by the bottom corner plastic frame trim moving as we travelled - unfortunately ours had been badly fitted and didn't fit tight up to the door side itself leaving a gap of about 5mm and, as they're only held on to the door itself with a single screw (stupid design), they can 'see-saw' back to front - although I tried to mitigate this by putting some padding (eg small sticky pad) between the back of the corner piece and the door inner face to prevent the movement, whilst it stopped the squeaks the damage had already been done and eventually the corner pieces cracked horizontally where the upright for the blind frame sat, you can see what I mean in the below 2 pictures.

blind corner.JPG

sliding door bump stop removed.JPG

I first mentioned it in this post - last paragraph:

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/globecar-modifications.144156/page-3#post-2443907

Minxys van wouldnt dare squeek
... it did ... but not for long!!! :sneaky:

OP
OP
Lost Sun

Lost Sun

Free Member
Aug 13, 2017
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout
The only thing that made a noise in that area on our Familyscout was the window blind which was caused by the bottom corner plastic frame trim moving as we travelled .
Just had a look and we have the same issue. Thank you as I would never have noticed without your pictures. I'm unsure weather to order new corners or to put a curtain on there as we never really open that window other than when we are cooking.

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
I've noticed this too. Whenever one of those amenage type vans parks near to us they are forever sliding those damned noisy doors all day and night. They don't seem to be able to make their minds up - open or closed! :D2

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just had a look and we have the same issue. Thank you as I would never have noticed without your pictures. I'm unsure weather to order new corners or to put a curtain on there as we never really open that window other than when we are cooking.
Unfortunately it will only get worse and the upper bit of the corner that holds back the vertical piece will completely break off leaving you with nothing to hold it in place. As I found out you cannot buy the corners at all, not even just the framework, but the whole inner including the blinds - even dealers can't get them separately, so you either have to buy the whole unit or cannibalise existing ones which is what SMC did when they had full ones come in under warranty but only needed the actual blinds themselves. Totally stupid isn't it!

You need to check all the other bottom corners as it might not only be restricted to just this one ... we had lots of them go in our Familyscout ... best to check and see if you can do something about them if they have only just started to crack. If I hadn't been able to get them done under warranty I'd have set-to to make my own strengthening piece to fit on the outside of them.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I've noticed this too. Whenever one of those amenage type vans parks near to us they are forever sliding those damned noisy doors all day and night. They don't seem to be able to make their minds up - open or closed! :D2
We always groan when a ‘slidey door van’ parks anywhere near us.
Grind, slam. Grind, slam. Grind, slam.
Should have their own Aires and sites or be banned. :(:(:reel:

Richard.

OP
OP
Lost Sun

Lost Sun

Free Member
Aug 13, 2017
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout
....And seperate sites for crying babies, magpies and people that snore

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
We always groan when a ‘slidey door van’ parks anywhere near us.
Grind, slam. Grind, slam. Grind, slam.
Should have their own Aires and sites or be banned. :(:(:reel:

Richard.

I think that is going a bit too far Richard. You have to allow for those people who are too big to fit through the doors of 'normal' vans :rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back