Nov 25, 2020
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
AT Dakota SE - Merc
Exp
Pretty much got the hang of it now!
Dear Fellow Motorhomer
I have an active thread going re a faulty EC200/PSU2007 etc but I have another question to ask. I have been told that the cooling fan on a PSU2007 is noisy i.e as noisy as a Desktop PC cooling fan. As my PSU2007 was not working when I bought the MH in November, I have never heard it running so can't judge. In consequence, I am not sure whether I get my broken PSU2007 repaired by Sargent and have it with a noisy cooling fan (which I presume they fit) or purchase a new EC328 as a direct replacement as suggested by a Sargent tekkie? Does anyone know from experience if the EC328 has a noisy fan or not?

Thanks for any answers

Paul

OP
OP
P
Nov 25, 2020
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
AT Dakota SE - Merc
Exp
Hi Andrew

Thank you very much. That is very useful to know and helps me with the decision I need to make.

Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Also important, does your unit have just a red charging switch or does it have a green one next to it for the hot water heater. If the latter a newer ec328 unit will need a bit of fettling šŸ‘
Forgot to say anew cooling fan would not be noisy as I've just found out.

OP
OP
P
Nov 25, 2020
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
AT Dakota SE - Merc
Exp
Hi Emmenay
Thanks for that. It only has a red charging switch but from what I have gleened from their website is that they provide extra connectors to enable it to connect to the MH loom. My EC200 is an 'H' unit v2.2 of 2018 vintage so I'm hoping it is compatible with a new EC328 saving me the expense of buying a new one.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Yes thats correct the v2.2 is compatible. You will just need to change the menu to work with the ec328, if you need to know just ask.

OP
OP
P
Nov 25, 2020
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
AT Dakota SE - Merc
Exp
Hi All
I bit the bullet and bought a new EC328 and control panel. Sargent delivered two days after and I was very pleased not to have the 3-5 week lead time as stated on their website. Its always worth calling rather than just ordering off the website to ascertain the true state of stock. They forgot to include the new connector but that arrived the day after. All connected up now and working like a charm. Its a shame that Autotrail were a bit skimping with the amount of spare cabling attached to the connectors. It was a real pig to get enough slack in the cables to get the connectors securely clicked in. I didn't want to pull too hard and disconnect/snap anything tucked away. What does surprise me is that the white 8-way male connector on the new EC328 is different from the white 8-way connector on the old EC200/PSU2007. Yes they supply the correct new connector but you have to cut off the old one and join the corresponding wires together with a crimp connector and then plug the new connector into the new PSU. Why not make a male/male connector that just plugs into the new box and then the old 8-way just plugs into that? Or why change the male connector on the box anyway, every other connector is identical? Answers on a postcard???? Thanks for all the helpful advice -much appreciated.

russd65

Free Member
Feb 14, 2021
Llantarnam, South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kon-tiki
Exp
2yrs , caravaning before for 10 yrs
Hi All
I bit the bullet and bought a new EC328 and control panel. Sargent delivered two days after and I was very pleased not to have the 3-5 week lead time as stated on their website. Its always worth calling rather than just ordering off the website to ascertain the true state of stock. They forgot to include the new connector but that arrived the day after. All connected up now and working like a charm. Its a shame that Autotrail were a bit skimping with the amount of spare cabling attached to the connectors. It was a real pig to get enough slack in the cables to get the connectors securely clicked in. I didn't want to pull too hard and disconnect/snap anything tucked away. What does surprise me is that the white 8-way male connector on the new EC328 is different from the white 8-way connector on the old EC200/PSU2007. Yes they supply the correct new connector but you have to cut off the old one and join the corresponding wires together with a crimp connector and then plug the new connector into the new PSU. Why not make a male/male connector that just plugs into the new box and then the old 8-way just plugs into that? Or why change the male connector on the box anyway, every other connector is identical? Answers on a postcard???? Thanks for all the helpful advice -much appreciated.
Having similar issues with my 2006 swift kontiki ec200/psu2007. Fan noisey and red power switch faulty. I know I can send it off to sargent for a cost of Ā£295 for a refurbished replacement. Wondering what is the best way to go ahead.

OP
OP
P
Nov 25, 2020
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
AT Dakota SE - Merc
Exp
Hi Russd65
I thought a lot about whether to have my EC220/PSU2007 repaired or buy a new one. I came down on the side of going new as it was only Ā£55 more. I know refurbishment might be a tad cheaper but I wondered about the longevity of the components that weren't replaced hence going new. I didn't want to have it fail within 12 months send it back to be told something else went wrong with more expense or unrepairable. My old EC200 control panel worked with the new EC328 but didn't show all the data that was possible so hence the new control panel to match. These can be obtained for about Ā£50 cheaper than Sargent charge. By way of asking, are you certain Sargent repair for Ā£295 and it's not Apuljack Engineering? Sargent would only do a repair for Ā£150 if they had the parts after examining the broken unit. It would appear they are just using up any components left over as the EC200/POSU2007 is obsolete.

russd65

Free Member
Feb 14, 2021
Llantarnam, South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kon-tiki
Exp
2yrs , caravaning before for 10 yrs
Hi Russd65
I thought a lot about whether to have my EC220/PSU2007 repaired or buy a new one. I came down on the side of going new as it was only Ā£55 more. I know refurbishment might be a tad cheaper but I wondered about the longevity of the components that weren't replaced hence going new. I didn't want to have it fail within 12 months send it back to be told something else went wrong with more expense or unrepairable. My old EC200 control panel worked with the new EC328 but didn't show all the data that was possible so hence the new control panel to match. These can be obtained for about Ā£50 cheaper than Sargent charge. By way of asking, are you certain Sargent repair for Ā£295 and it's not Apuljack Engineering? Sargent would only do a repair for Ā£150 if they had the parts after examining the broken unit. It would appear they are just using up any components left over as the EC200/POSU2007 is obsolete.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back