Noisy Mastervolt Charger/ Inverter (1 Viewer)

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
I noticed it the very first time I slept in our Morelo but as I was so tired just fell asleep however, recently it has started to bug me. Either my charger / inverter is particularly noisy or it has a fault which makes it whine or maybe they all do that and I just need to be aware of it and get used to it.

I made sure the inverter mode was off (as we had mains power) but it is still noisy. Are they all like this? and if they are as I suspect, why would you install it right under the bed rather in an area of the MH where no-one can be disturbed at night by it?

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We have the Mastervolt system and have never heard any noise at all. I would definitely notice any sound as I'm acutely aware of noise, even the most feint sounds register with me.

Are you sure its the inverter? I can't help you with regard to what it might be... all I can say is ours is totally quiet, no whining noise from anything at all. Have you been in the garage to check exactly where the sound is coming from?

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Our MasterVolt unit in the Van Bitz exhibition unit is noisy when we first plug in but settles down. Morello have dropped MasterVolt it seems and now fit Buttner systems.

Perhaps this is why?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Our MasterVolt unit in the Van Bitz exhibition unit is noisy when we first plug in but settles down. Morello have dropped MasterVolt it seems and now fit Buttner systems.

Perhaps this is why?

I think @sallylillian has the answer to that question.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp

Perhaps this is why?
Not that it was mentioned to me? The reasons were that Mastervolt requires too much software support, if a part is replaced, "The technical status of Mastervolt makes it even well-trained and specialized companies nearly impossible, repairing the vehicles in the event of malfunction, not to mention customers travelling worldwide. For example a battery with lithium technology can only be recommissioned directly from Mastervolt via wifi in the event of fault." Covered in the Morelo Palace 2019 thread.
Interestingly @CazPaul I have been having exchanges with Buttner and I have a strong inclination that they have some new developments in hand which may be available for my build which may mean I do not have to replace the positively Neanderthal Buttner inverter charger with the Victron Quattro as Plan A, but just reading between the lines.
@OurMoreloLife Peter, my Victron is under the bed in the Flair and I only occasionally notice it but never at night. One of the disadvantages of the Mastervolt system that was quoted to me is:- "Added to this are extremely high current consumption, quiescent current up to 3.5A and high susceptibility to faults in the control system" which may be a reason as it is busy cooking nothing?? Only a guess.

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
We have the Mastervolt system and have never heard any noise at all. I would definitely notice any sound as I'm acutely aware of noise, even the most feint sounds register with me.

Are you sure its the inverter? I can't help you with regard to what it might be... all I can say is ours is totally quiet, no whining noise from anything at all. Have you been in the garage to check exactly where the sound is coming from?
I have been in the rear to check and there are some pretty noisy fans running in the MV charger/inverter so it definitely is the MV unit

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Not that it was mentioned to me? The reasons were that Mastervolt requires too much software support, if a part is replaced, "The technical status of Mastervolt makes it even well-trained and specialized companies nearly impossible, repairing the vehicles in the event of malfunction, not to mention customers travelling worldwide. For example a battery with lithium technology can only be recommissioned directly from Mastervolt via wifi in the event of fault." Covered in the Morelo Palace 2019 thread.
Interestingly @CazPaul I have been having exchanges with Buttner and I have a strong inclination that they have some new developments in hand which may be available for my build which may mean I do not have to replace the positively Neanderthal Buttner inverter charger with the Victron Quattro as Plan A, but just reading between the lines.
@OurMoreloLife Peter, my Victron is under the bed in the Flair and I only occasionally notice it but never at night. One of the disadvantages of the Mastervolt system that was quoted to me is:- "Added to this are extremely high current consumption, quiescent current up to 3.5A and high susceptibility to faults in the control system" which may be a reason as it is busy cooking nothing?? Only a guess.
Maybe I need to get an Amperian unit installed & up and running to check the event logs to see what's going on in there. I'll try to find where I can get one

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
@OurMoreloLife in the manual for Mass Comb iUltra
http://productimageserver.com/literature/ownersManual/73819OM.pdf

there is a setting for silent, I assume this switches the fans off when possible but needs more reading,

Martin

6.2.3 List of event commands

This is the Mass Combi Ultra event commands list. Other MasterBus connected devices can be configured to initiate these commands

Inverter On/Off Change the Mass Combi Ultra inverter state to On/Off Charger On/Off Change the Mass Combi Ultra charger state to On/ Off Bulk Changes to charge phase Bulk
Absorption Changes to charge phase Absorption

Float Changes to charge phase Float
Mains limit A Fuse setting of the Mains input is set to 6 A (adjustable)
Mains limit B Fuse setting of the Mains input is set to 10 A (adjustable)
Mains limit C Fuse setting of the Mains input is set to 16 A (adjustable)
AC out 2 enabled Switched Output-2 is enabled
Force Sec charge Force charging of the second battery
Power off Command to switch off the charger, inverter and open the input relais

EN / Mass Combi Ultra

Event command

Description

Silent mode

Command to switch on/off the silent mode

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
I went onto the Mastervolt website this morning and was saddened/ shocked/ nervous to see that they no longer make the Mass Combi 12/5000-100 (which I think is the one we have)! Why would that be?

If its obsolete, how would I make a warranty claim if it went wrong?

Should I be concerned at having what appears to be obsolete kit in my MH?
Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 12.41.29.png

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I doubt whether there would be a problem with the warranty - if anything went wrong I expect they'd supply you with whatever model superseded it.

If you're concerned it would be worth giving Mastervolt a call.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Maybe not, this is the unit for the Lithium Package, well it is in the 2018 List, but in there the non Lithium Premium pack is based around the 2200 version you referred to above, so if you dont have Lithium sorry you are probably right and you have a defunct, unsupported, retro box:whistle: Only teasing!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back