Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have just fitted a 300 watt inverter into our motorhome and I didn't realise they would be so noisy, are they all noisy or just the smaller wattage inverters?
It's a pure sine wave inverter from a local electrical dealer.
We are just running the tv and freesat box on it , but doesn't like anything else running from it.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Is it a noisy fan or is it squealing, mine does the latter if the connection to the battery is not good.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
When you say noisy, do you mean the fan is noisy. Some of them are, I had one that was so noisy I couldn't hear the TV. The one I have now is fitted in the garage and as far as I know the fan only comes on when needed. Have never heard it as its to far away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
As others have said, you need to define 'noise'. If they suffer supply voltage drop from the battery to the inverter (usually caused by thin cable or poor connections) they will squeal. Otherwise, I don't know why a 300W PS inverter would make a noise. I have a 150W PS inverter from Stirling and it is silent in operation.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
The fan runs noisily, it did beep when the battery went down.
We realised that running it through the 12 volt sockets run down the vehicle battery, not the leisure batteries which are fully charged through the solar panel.
luckily the sergent consumer box then charged the vehicle battery.
It's now connected to the 2 leisure batteries but the fan is still noisy.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
having the fan run all the time the inverter is on is a cheap option.

good quality ones will have a thermostatically controlled fan...only running when needed.

a 300w inverter running a tv and digibox (probably no more than 60w) should rarely, if ever, need the fan.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
price doesnt always come in to it . some expensive ones have it running all the time .
i do know many disconect the fan and put a switch for it when using higher end of the scale items . they seem to last for years sometimes like it .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
price doesnt always come in to it . some expensive ones have it running all the time .
i do know many disconect the fan and put a switch for it when using higher end of the scale items . they seem to last for years sometimes like it .

not always a question of price Alan......I said quality.

a few pennies for a thermistor and a bit more circuitry....even lower quality ones could do it.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes sorry .i have a 24v 300amp in the cab came from radio spares . not cheap and you would think highish quality but fan stays on . luckily i only use it for walkie talkies or phone . and while driving cant here it . but it is a bit noisy if i switch off .
dont know what quality is these days . is there any goods made anywhere but china or africa .

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We have just fitted a 300 watt inverter into our motorhome and I didn't realise they would be so noisy, are they all noisy or just the smaller wattage inverters?
It's a pure sine wave inverter from a local electrical dealer.
We are just running the tv and freesat box on it , but doesn't like anything else running from it.

Mine's pretty noisy, but it is only used for short periods, such as for running the washing machine. Your TV and freesat box should be run off 12V, not via an inverter. It would be more efficient and much quieter. Most LCD TVs (at least the smaller ones) run off 12V with a external power brick, so you're just converting from 12V to 230V and back again.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Mine's pretty noisy, but it is only used for short periods, such as for running the washing machine. Your TV and freesat box should be run off 12V, not via an inverter. It would be more efficient and much quieter. Most LCD TVs (at least the smaller ones) run off 12V with a external power brick, so you're just converting from 12V to 230V and back again.

The tv can be run off 12 volt but as we have a 240v freesat hd recorder and use it a lot for watching prerecorded tv shows and films to fast forward the ads, it would be more expensive to buy a new12v freesat hd recorder than buy an inverter so opted for the inverter to run them and other electrical items when not on hook up.
The inverter has saved us a lot in just the one week having to be on hook up just to run a few electric things, in the summer not needing heating.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back