Noisy A-Class (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Picked up my new-to-me Geist i585 last week. It's a 6m 2020 A-Class on Ducato chassis. Geist is a sub-brand of LMC, which is a sub-brand of Hymer group. I don't know much about them really. The interior seems to be really good quality. Nicely put together with hidden screw heads, thick panels and a good design. Lots of quality touches. I'll do a mini-review on another thread at some point because there's no much info out there about them...

The issue is the noise when driving...

I come from a post-conversion 2007 Ducato panel van. The conversion that was done was with reasonable quality furniture, but it was just all screwed together to make it fit. I don't think there was any consideration about how it needs to flex or move when in motion, so it creaked, squeaked, rattled and boomed a lot. But we drove around Europe in it for 6 months a couple of years back. I got used to the noises.

On a rare bit of smooth road, the Geist is fairly quiet. There's only a purr from the engine and there's not a lot of wind noise and the road rumble isn't too bad. However, as soon as I hit a bump or a tarmac joint on the motorway, it shakes and bangs really badly. It's uncomfortably loud as it shakes it way over the surface of the M6. Through the seat of 'yer pants, the ride isn't that bad, it's just the racket it makes as it hits a rough bit of tarmac (which is everywhere). This is before I've loaded any stuff in it, so it's not plates and bottles of beer that are making the racket, it's the body of the van. Any ideas what I can do?

The massive dash cowl appears to be pretty thin plastic. I assume there must be something behind it as I can barely hear the engine. But it sounds thin. Are they normally easy to get out? Could I stick some sound insulation to the back of it? I previously put sound insulation in the doors of my van and it made a big difference...

The tyres are Michelin Agilis Camping. They've only got 10k miles on, so they are pretty new. I know they've got a stiff sidewall. How much difference would a set of normal van tyres make to the ride quality? The van is well under it's 3.5t limit.

I've put semi-air suspension on my previous van. That was riding very low, so it was resting on the bump-stops all the time. It made the ride on big bumps a fair bit better. But I've checked the Geist and there's a good gap between the stops and the pad when it's at rest with a belly load of water, so I'm not sure how much difference semi-air would make. And when I hit a bump, the front causes just as much crash as the back. With the few trips I've made so far, the handling seems OK too.

Are there any bits that typically make the most noise? Is there anything else I can do?

Cheers.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
It’s not the pressure in the tyres that cause problems in some accidents it the pressure I must overtake this one in front, the pressure to answer the damm phone, the pressure to drive the extra 100 miles when tired or late.

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
It’s not the pressure in the tyres that cause problems in some accidents it the pressure I must overtake this one in front, the pressure to answer the damm phone, the pressure to drive the extra 100 miles when tired or late.
I quite agree - that's why I like the drive in the MoHo as its like sitting in an armchair - I am much more laid back and don't get upset with those who push past, drive like loons or speed. I know I will get there, in time, and if I get there five minutes after them, what are they going to do with the time they have saved - take another pill to calm down.
Our relaxation starts as we close the front door of the house!
D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I had the Michelin Agilis Camping tyres replaced last week with Continental VanContact 4Season. I'm using the Continental handbook for reference to give me suitable pressures, so I can run 51psi front and 54psi rear.

The van still squeaks and rattles on poor surfaces. It's no magic carpet ride. But it is SIGNIFICANTLY better. It's now comparable to the volume in my old van. It's now possible to have my tablet do satnav duties on the notes holder above the dash. Both because it no longer gets bounced out of the holder, and that I can hear it. Running over the joints on the raised sections of the M6 are merely loud and irritating rather than me slowing down because I'm worried something is about to be wrenched off...

Yes, it was an expense of £650 that replaced tyres that still had good tread. But it was worth it.

Upvote 0

Kevmand

Free Member
Jul 16, 2017
Ripon
Funster No
MH
C class a class
Exp
Since 2015
We sold our pilote 740 after 2 weeks for the same reason. tried and purchased a hymer exsis, totall different. We found out that the hymer we bought had come with the comfort pack which included better front springs …..as is able to be fitted at a cost of £800 by most suppliers.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back