LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
When we plug into EHU, we get a humming noise from the leisure battery storage unit - I haven't been able to investigate exactly where from but the storage area has the 110 battery and something like an inverter. Any ideas what could be causing the noise - it is certainly loud enough to be heard when trying to sleep so we unplug at night.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Could be the charger but is it normal for them to make enough noise to be heard from several meters away?

And it if it the charger, can I turn the charger off at night but still retain 240v supply for the heater & fridge?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sounds very much like your charger's transformer is beginning to fail. switch it off at night by all means

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Our charger normally quiet but does have an internal fan that only comes on when the charger is working hard. Very low battery or too hot. Area blocked with coats, etc.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
When we plug into EHU, we get a humming noise from the leisure battery storage unit - I haven't been able to investigate exactly where from but the storage area has the 110 battery and [HI]something like an inverter[/HI]. Any ideas what could be causing the noise - it is certainly loud enough to be heard when trying to sleep so we unplug at night.

If indeed this is an inverter then they can make various noises depending on the loading being put on it. They usually have a cooling fan which may be noisy, particularly if badly worn and they sometimes squeel if over loaded.

As others have said it may also be a charger past it's use-by date which you should be able to switch off while still keeping your 240v supply.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Or it could be a Sterling B2B....unless the batteries are fully charged when you hook up it can start charging and the fans will come on. Having said that it will not do that the whole time but it could be a few hours or so dependant on how much charge your batteries need. Jane

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Our charger makes a noise, I think it is the fan, especially when the batteries need to be charged after a spell of off grid parking.

As I understand it this is the type of charger that gives an initial boost to get the batteries up then it will go quiet and maintain the full charge. This is all quiet normal and has done it in our van since new (07).

As others have said it may be some form of inverter or transformer. We had an RV that had one fitted to change the voltage from 110 to 230 and that hummed, but not enough to keep us awake.

Maybe needs checking out by a qualified eleltrician.

Apr 10, 2012
Warks / Leics border
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
With the EHU connected and on, just put your ear close to the leisure battery and double check that the noise is not coming from your battery. I had this problem last year and wondered where the noise was coming from. It was a knackered battery which was also giving off hydrogen and triggering the CO alarm. Checked the charger and that was OK. Changed the battery (both - although only one was was making the noise) and problem solved.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Could it be your charger that's humming...?

You 'um it son and I'll play it :Smile:

gallery_shifter_400_400x300.jpg

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thanks for the replies. I'll experiment with turning off the charger etc. over the weekend. I'm hoping that I can isolate what every is making the noise so that we can keep the EHU on over night and then flick the switch to charge batteries etc. during the day when the noise is not so noticeable.

It looks like a new charger is cheaper than a new battery.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back