Noise from brakes on 09 kontiki 649 (1 Viewer)

jonmid

Free Member
Sep 1, 2010
Funster No
Hi all I have a Kontiki 649 tag axle van. I was driving on the weekend & suddenly cam a noise from the rear n/s wheels. kind of a whish whish noise as if something was scraping it got quicker with speed as in road speed. I pulled the hand brake up gently then firm a few times and it when away. But it did return slightly about 25miles further down the road...

Any Ideas

thanks

JON

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Obvious is a good look around, strip the drums off and check the who lot over.

How much use recently?

On an '09 it's quite possibly just a bit of rust buildup in the drum cleaning off, but being brakes it's always best to check it thouroughly.

PS Welcome:thumb:

OP
OP
J

jonmid

Free Member
Sep 1, 2010
Funster No
I'm going to take a look tonight, I'm assuming it will be a drum setup within the discs?

Cheers

Jon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
I'm going to take a look tonight, I'm assuming it will be a drum setup within the discs?

Cheers

Jon

Disks? I truely don't know, I expected with the TAG it would be drums.

It could be a drun inside the 'bell' of the disk or simply a mechanical action on the disk, investigation will answer these questions.

If discs, you could have a simple sticky slider or piston, clean and re grease the former, exsersise the later or simply if the hand brake in a drum game clean them out as they can get rusted up, experience from car system of this type.

OP
OP
J

jonmid

Free Member
Sep 1, 2010
Funster No
Hi I've pulled it all apart. After spinning both rear n/s wheel I could here the front one making the sort of noise I heard on the weekend (all be it much quieter) so removed caliper & disc to expose the hand brake shoes inside. It's all like new! Well it's what I was hoping for really as its only done about 2k. I cleaned it all out with an air line after inspecting it all & reassembled it. I'll have to give it a run & see...

Jon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back