No Wildcamping anymore in Valencia Province (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Having wintered in Spain for the last 10 years I've never been sure of th law so we've just tried not to be a nuisance. During this time we started in sites but now use them less preferring camperstops, Aires or free camping in car parks, waste ground or supermarkets usually on our own. My understanding was that we could legally use car parks overnight with no camping activity which suited us, is this use of car parks regarded as free camping and is it permitted? Tia

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Maybe it does not apply to motorhomes after all.....

Pete

Yes some of it refers to hotels and so on, we have lots of rules and regulations to meet with tourist rentals, so it covers all tourism.

Screenshot_20210216-115442_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210216-115405_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210216-114127_Chrome.jpg

The only way they can stop it is because of road traffic rules, state as long as your property parked in it or not it not illegal. 🤔
But still having everyone carrying on as they are is not helping.

Screenshot_20210216-121110_Viber.jpg

IMG-76ef4455247ced62b3a0105809c5fa6b-V.jpg

Bob.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
yes,normally full in winter most places anywhere coastal..
Camperstops are normally best suited to months outside July and August.....normally built in an open aspect and cater for the Northern European winter visitor...in the summer the Spanish appreciate a more coastal location with adequate shade...this applies to the Med coast.....in the north of Spain, Galicia, Asturias and Cantabria where the temperature is less of a problem the Camperstops are less shady and these are frequented by everyone....including ourselves...
In the days let's say 1998 till 2010... campsites on the Costa Brava ran at 97% full during the winter months....about this time an influx of winter visitors became evident....more retirees, motorhome sales up, less people going to Marocco...Spain and Portugal became the place to be...well it looks likely that the popularity has stretched it too far.....once again we have to play by different rules.....

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
I only seem to be able to book a ferry to Cueta and of course I doubt they would let me do that in reality and also doubt Morocco would let me in from there ( UK national tourist)

The screenshots are translated from 6 Feb2021

Screenshot_20210216-095006.png

Screenshot_20210216-094010.png

Screenshot_20210216-095006.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
I guess its all about where you want to be, warm and sunny and that's why so many from the UK head south, by plane, car, motor home and boat. I was always the same until I discovered 'North'; sailing in the Baltic is amazing, driving in Norway, Sweden, the lake lands of Finland, Estonian Bogs, just extraordinary. Mountains, lakes, fiords, mile (kilometer) after mile of empty roads. Wild camping but beware of bears, lynx, coyote and wolves. Mosquitoes and horse flies, mushrooms and wild berries. Sudden snow in May and June and freezing temperatures and then BOOM its plus 30 C.

Be aware the Aurora Borealis, its untested and atmospheric bombarding space wind and stuff, you will need Aurora cream (like sun cream but for caustic space stuff). Falling pines, raging rivers, broken bridges, human swallowing bogs and mind bending fungus.

And then the summer days are 20 or more hours of daylight, you will not sleep, you will go mad as the sleep deprivation slowly creeps up on you. The multi colored houses will effect your vision and for the too many trees you will not see the wood. Be even more aware of of little men with pointed ears seen wrapping parcels in small wooden houses, there is rumor of an old man with a long white beard. I warn you, be on your guard.

Anyway, don't tell anyone as its a secret part of the world just a short Stena trip away via an hallucinogenic city close to the North sea and then a bridge type tunnel to quicken the heart rate and send words of joy flowing over your tonsils close to a mermaid that is much too small.

And, yet again I know you will not like meatballs, sauerkraut, sausages that taste of processed meat. Deep fried pigs ears, blood sausage, deer pate and moose surprise. The total lack of understanding and impossible ability to find roast beef, John Smiths and yorkshire pudding will finally break you. And if you break; the Vodka can be bought at 80%, don't smoke and drink at the same time!

Don't come here its not safe, I want to keep it for myself as I am trained to deal with all this euphoria and you are not.
You've sold it to me!!

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Authorities have suspended flights between Morocco and Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and Brazil following the discovery of new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) variants as of Jan. 20. Authorities had also suspended flights between Morocco and the UK, Denmark, and South Africa due to similar concerns in December.

Most international passenger flights remain suspended until further notice; however, some airlines operate limited repatriation and charter flights. Emergency and cargo flights are exempt. Sea travel to Spain, Gibraltar, and France remains suspended. The border with the Spanish autonomous cities of Ceuta and Melilla, located on the northern coast of Africa, is closed until further notice.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Final straw was when we walked down to the lake edge with the kids to find a lady of middle age in the buff with a bar of soap having the wash of a lifetime in the lake, followed by loud music blaring away from the rest.

We quickly decided to move on.
She would be a tough old cookie to do that in a Highland Loch! 😂

Sep 26, 2018
Uk Suffolk, Spain Terrazas de la Torre.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick xl
Exp
I’m a newbi
Anyone at Cullera this Winter? It's only a little south of Valencia so probably affected by this, if it's true.
Will affect lots of the local cafes & bars, and supermarkets..always had a few nights there going south in Feb, and returning north early May.

regards
Allen
They won’t even know you are gone, be more room for the locals that spend .

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Unfortunately I'd rather be able to select my own quiet spot and wild camp so to speak but I just don't see it as been an option as more and more people try and do the same..
I'm not particularly well travelled on the continent but my last trip over to Spain and Portugal left me feeling that it was only going to be a matter of time before something was done.. saw some absolutely beautiful spots on the coast in Portugal that had been turned into crowded campsites that I would have no wish to stop on anyway..
More familiar with Scotland but it is the same there..sheer weight of numbers of people wanting to please themselves..
Whilst I don't do it on the basis of saving money..I do agree that some of the fees been charged on sites is getting silly if all you want is somewhere to park up..in the main we have our own facilities which suffice most of the time..
Andy
I have toured Scotland a quite few times and have wildcamped and used THS sites, but can’t understand why people who are not comfortable with it or feel somewhat unsafe get really uptight with people that do, some wild camp for a variety of reasons e.g. I myself feel that that is what a Motorhome is designed and intended for, ok some for the financial aspect , that is a bonus as you can spend the fees saved on other things such as extra meals out, visiting extra attractions, live and let live I say, what works for you doesn’t suit everyone else, myself included, if I wanted to do all my touring and camping on sites I’d have a caravan, perish the thought, but I notice in club magazines now that new Cls/Cs are opening and asking fees upwards of £15 in Scotland for a tap and hole in a field no frills, if it had the luxury of a toilet or ehu then they want £25, that’s pricing a lot of campers with little ones out altogether also pensioners on small incomes also some THS in the Cornwall are £25 pun for a rally field with tap and w/c disposal, you might be lucky enough to have use of the toilet block.......just saying.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
It looks to me from that article that it's all ifs buts and maybes.

( Shame really I'd ban all the wildcamping if I had my way)

Good job you haven’t got your way then, what happened to live and let live, I agree with being discreet and responsible, but an outright ban is a bit draconian.

Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
We have always managed to find deserted or near enough empty aires for a few euros using camper contact in many countries.
some with facilities some without.
Always a bit scared of a knock on the door at night if it’s just wild camping.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We have always managed to find deserted or near enough empty aires for a few euros using camper contact in many countries.
some with facilities some without.
Always a bit scared of a knock on the door at night if it’s just wild camping.
Do not fear...I gave up door knocking many years ago...you are right in saying that finding a less crowded aire is a possibility....but on the coast they are more popular and more crowded I'm afraid....

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
I don't understand. If someone can spend upwards of £50,000 for a vehicle, surly they can pay to park it!
Some of us don't like to be on 'organised' formal campsites. A motorhome to me equals freedom and choice.

I can afford to pay for a campsite or paid 'Aire'. I prefer not to choose the campsite.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don't understand. If someone can spend upwards of £50,000 for a vehicle, surly they can pay to park it!
Nowt to do with paying for parking ... many, including us, don't like being 'corralled' into a campsite, we much prefer quieter places with few around us, not something you can have on a campsite abroad.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

OMG... this old chestnut.

Has it occurred to you that economics rarely comes into when off-site camping?

It is the freedom from rules and regulations, the avoidance of a load of white monstrosities all parked in a line AND avoiding narrow minded folk who only go on holidays and weekends in their vans that makes it so WONDERFUL.

I know the difference too. I am currently locked down on a small "aire" parked in a line of white monstrosities and dreaming of the moment the restrictions are lifted and I can get back on the road...

(At least it is in the sun drenched Algarve.)

JJ :cool:

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

I agree with all that was said in the last four posts about our reasons for not wanting to be on campsites and preferring to be in quieter locations and often with better views than campsites.

This is said by one who could afford a lot more than £50K and may one day, but I would still want to choose the same camping style and the MH would be bought with that in mind. We do not carry an EHU cable and always start off with full tanks, because we never know where the adventure will take us and for how long.

Geoff

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I agree with all that was said in the last four posts about our reasons for not wanting to be on campsites and preferring to be in quieter locations and often with better views than campsites.

This is said by one who could afford a lot more than £50K and may one day, but I would still want to choose the same camping style and the MH would be bought with that in mind. We do not carry an EHU cable and always start off with full tanks, because we never know where the adventure will take us and for how long.

Geoff

This is what we love, I am happy to pay my way, even gave a CL owner extra cash once as we had a fan heater in an awning for the kids when it was unseasonably cold. It more than covered the extra we would have used.

I like turning up when we want, leaving when we want, not when we are told we should.

You get to see some amazing places and the freedom is what we go for, not the cost.

We use a campsite in France every summer, owner waves and opens gate, we stay as long as we like, pay and wish him well and off we go. If all campsites were the same, we would use them.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
What's the difference between a large aire such as Gruissan or Honfleur, or indeed one such as La Mailleraye, and a continental campsite? Whilst we love some of the quiet out of the way aires we find, we love the hustle and bustle of continental families camping. A million miles away from CAMC sites!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
hustle and bustle of continental families camping

A nice way of saying you enjoy listening to soccer being played at 1am. :D

Us too, we used to love the noisy madness of Spanish sites when camping with the kids (y)

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
What's the difference between a large aire such as Gruissan or Honfleur, or indeed one such as La Mailleraye, and a continental campsite? Whilst we love some of the quiet out of the way aires we find, we love the hustle and bustle of continental families camping. A million miles away from CAMC sites!

You don't have to book and you do not have to leave at a certain time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back