No water - argh! (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
Just got my motorhome out for first time this year. Got to site. Filled her up with water. Turned taps on, but alas, no water is coming out :-(

I should have checked when I was at home, but I was in a rush so I thought I would fill her up on site.

Do you reckon pump is bust?

I have checked under van and there's no water leaking out.

Luckily dishwashing block and toilet block are only thirty yards away.

Anyone got any bright ideas on things I could try?

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
No bright ideas just a checklist I would go for if it was me

is the pump isolator on the control panel set right. With the taps in, does 'wiggling' the isolator make any difference
is the fuse behind the control panel good (approximate location, could actually be anywhere)
Do you hear a pump normally, if so, can you now
on 12v, do your lights flicker when you turn the taps in (ours have in the caravan, the MH and now the camper) if so do they now
can you get to any pipework? If so can you disconnect and blow through it?
does any of the pipework run under the van outside and if so can you tell if there are any blockages.. I'm thinking either frozen or furred up..

Someone who really knows will be along soon with better ideas no doubt if you have already thought of those

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
No bright ideas just a checklist I would go for if it was me

is the pump isolator on the control panel set right. With the taps in, does 'wiggling' the isolator make any difference
is the fuse behind the control panel good (approximate location, could actually be anywhere)
Do you hear a pump normally, if so, can you now
on 12v, do your lights flicker when you turn the taps in (ours have in the caravan, the MH and now the camper) if so do they now
can you get to any pipework? If so can you disconnect and blow through it?
does any of the pipework run under the van outside and if so can you tell if there are any blockages.. I'm thinking either frozen or furred up..

Someone who really knows will be along soon with better ideas no doubt if you have already thought of those

I can hear the whirring noise the pump makes and I don't think anything is frozen as I had drained the system.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I can hear the whirring noise the pump makes and I don't think anything is frozen as I had drained the system.

Well I would have guessed that if the pump is making the same noise it always has its probably not the pump.. my novice brains tell me it would sound different if it was broken.

In terms of frozen, I've seen comments about blowing through the pipes when you drain down to ensure all the water is gone from lower parts that might 'hang' under the van. Not something I've done myself because all my pipes are internal but a possibility perhaps?

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
All of the above, and, what happened to mine was that the pickup pipe in the water tank had come detached and it was a tank off, curse and cuss job in the heat of a Moroccan camp site at Marrakesh! It's still working though!

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We have a similar problem and started a thread on it last week. Thanks to a lot of learned, helpful funsters we have got to the bottom of our problem.......it's not working!:rofl:

Seriously, our problem was the pressure switch, we're taking it back to our dealers on Monday on our way back north. Thankfully ours is still under warranty(y)

It's a real pain having to lug bottles of water for washing dishes etc back to the van and not being to just turn a tap.......just as well ours didn't go before now, as we've been on the road since late November.

Hope you get yours sorted out soon.

Bill

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
It is a Burstner Ixeo.

I've managed tonight as went to cinema, so will give all these ideas a try in morning. Thanks y'all!

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Could it be that the boiler drain valve has been left open in which case the pump is continually trying to fill the boiler with water?

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Could it be that the boiler drain valve has been left open in which case the pump is continually trying to fill the boiler with water?

That would mean water under the van.. They have none.
Just air-locked as said previously we hope.. Good luck..

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
truma heating? dump valve? ignore that, you have not lost water have you....

if its a submersible pump in tank, stick your hand in and tap it with tap open..it should then splutter into life. if not a submersible and on EHU try a hair dryer as may be frozen

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Mine takes ages to come through, I just alternate on, off, hot, cold, between bathroom and kitchen taps, mind you I can reach both of those easily:whistle: always comes through in the end though(y)

Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
Mine takes ages to come through, I just alternate on, off, hot, cold, between bathroom and kitchen taps, mind you I can reach both of those easily:whistle: always comes through in the end though(y)
It seems that your non return valve on the discharge side of the pump is not working and allowing the water to drain back into the tank.

The easiest way I found of clearing the airlock was to open a tap so the pump runs then get hold of the pump and shake it while it is submerged this normally clears airlock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back