LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Peut-etre Ils sont une douleur à la derrière.

Oui?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Sorry I don't understand that bit, can you explain please?

This is one of many definitions...

"A catch-22 is a paradoxical situation from which an individual cannot escape because of contradictory rules."

In the UK it is recommended that the V5 is kept separate from your vehicle so it more difficult to sell it legally.. Similarly you don't have to carry your licence, CT or any identification!!

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
This is one of many definitions...

"A catch-22 is a paradoxical situation from which an individual cannot escape because of contradictory rules."

In the UK it is recommended that the V5 is kept separate from your vehicle so it more difficult to sell it legally.. Similarly you don't have to carry your licence, CT or any identification!!

And in France you must keep all your papers with you each time you leave your vehicle

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
And in France you must keep all your papers with you each time you leave your vehicle

I leave the CT, V5 and insurance in the car/CC but carry my ID and permit with me...Never heard you have to take everything with you when you leave the car !!

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
All papers means the ones which are not stuck of course. Driving licence, grey card green card. Grey card identifies the vehicle, green card, the thief can tell the insurance you sold your van to him with the name and number of your insurance, driving licence gives your name and address away. There is no law saying this, but if you get robbed they will use your lack of care to give you only the minimum amount of money. They can be very tricky!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
A garage in France wouldn't change the clutch on my car without a copy of the V5.

God knows why and it was a real hassle to get it sorted.

In France they won't do any work on your car unless you produce the Carte Gris ( registration document) I always thought it was because they couldn't understand my surname when I told them verbally & it was easier when they saw it written down. Apparently not--- want proof you're not paying for work on a stolen car :)

When I first moved to France I was so anxious to get everything right that the first ( and only) time I was stopped by a Gendarme ( think it was his training exercise) I foisted everything in my little folder at the poor lad--- Carte Gris, MOT, insurance, Passport, my electricity bill ( made sense to me) I was just reaching for the spare bulbs but he kept saying one phrase I didn't understand. Finally dawned -- driver's licence. He was very sweet and even waved me out into the road.

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
In France they won't do any work on your car unless you produce the Carte Gris ( registration document) I always thought it was because they couldn't understand my surname when I told them verbally & it was easier when they saw it written down. Apparently not--- want proof you're not paying for work on a stolen car :)

The unfortunate part for me is that a colleague sent it ( the V5) to me with a heading "Bloody Frogs" which didn't go down well with Green Flag I must admit,:D2

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Only the French, (bureaucrats) could come up with a situation, which in effect, says that you MUST carry a "handbag" full of paperwork at all times!.:doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back