No V5 France experiences

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by suavecarve, Mar 19, 2017.

1. suavecarve

suavecarve Funster

Ratings:
    +1,999
    Well my V5 is currently with the DVLA and in 2 weeks France beckons.
    It may not be back in time.
    I totally understand that i will be breaking the law as i am not going to stop going just because i dont have the original with me. I have a photograph of it with me.

So my question is, has anybody ever been stopped in france/europe and failed to have their V5 or insurance or driving licence or MOT with them and what happened ?

2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +10,416
    Been stopped a couple of times but had originals, so not answering your question really.
    HOWEVER, Main difference with the old French and Spanish police is that fines are "on the spot" so if they want to have you it will be cash there and then.. Get a funny one and you risk not being allowed to move without doucuments :eek:..

Life is a gamble, (y)

• Like it Like it x 2
  3. maison

maison Funster

Ratings:
    +6,128
    We were involved in an accident when a lorry reversed into our parked car six years ago in France.

Police arrived to deal with the incident and asked for our (V5). We had a photocopy in the car and explained that the original was in our house, in France, only a few miles away.

They accepted the photocopy without any problem, but it may have been different if anyone had been hurt.

• Like it Like it x 2
  4. campa cola

campa cola Funster

Ratings:
    +8,324
    Regularly Asked for Passports but driving licence (twice only) at some borders, last year. If you go over many EU country borders these days you can be stopped indiscriminately, only by luck of timing was I not pulled into various check points for weighing and a general shakedown, so personally I would not like to chance it. Very different experience to my similar 2013 extensive trips where no borders were manned and was not stopped at all.

Also Breathalysed in the middle of nowhere in Finland, at a mandatory stop, I dread to think what would have happened had I been over their limit....Somebody told me the French police sometimes do a mandatory stop, document check and breathalyser of people driving vehicles out of their ports!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  5. bb wales

bb wales Funster

Ratings:
    +138
    Was stopped in Portugal in February and fined €30 for not having my docs with me, I explained to the GNR that I had nowhere to keep them without them getting wet, shame he said €30 please but you could carry a photocopy. All he wanted was the V5

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +19,056
    You should be able to get a temporary V5C .... read my post here:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/driving-abroad-without-v5c-doc.135107/#post-1954618

7. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +53,384
    A garage in France wouldn't change the clutch on my car without a copy of the V5.

God knows why and it was a real hassle to get it sorted.

8. suavecarve

suavecarve Funster

Ratings:
    +1,999
    i ve just read the thread that @Minxy Girl linked in.
    I have a copy of the V5 that i took (certificate of upgrade as well) and it appears that, in general, this is acceptable.
    No reports that i can find on here of someone being fined for not having one and faxes/photocopies/photos seem to suffice

• Like it Like it x 1
  9. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +53,384
    I think copies are fine. That's what we carry now.

In my case the garage did accept a copy sent to them by email(y)

10. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Ratings:
    +3,652
    "A" Frame warning!!:D2:D2:D2

I was stopped 3 times in Spain 2006/7.(n)(n)(n) All 3 times Sunday, all 3 times by "Guardia" on motorcycles!!. The "offence" towing with "A" frame. (I was let off with a warning each time). They accepted my copy of the V5 and insurance doc`s, and MOT, without question. (Mind they where hard to tell from the originals!) properly sized and printed both side etc;.(y)

From that, my take would be that under roadside conditions, the Police would be hard put to even KNOW they where not "original"?.

EDIT: With regard to Minxi`s post. Another reason to make sure you have copies of anything you send the D(ozy)VLA! And I always send it recorded delivery!.

Some years ago, My mate moved house, and as a good citizen should, he sent his licence etc for updating his address. When it cam back his entitlement to ride a Motorcycle was missing. They refused point blank to reinstate it. He actually finished up taking a fresh test!.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  11. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Ratings:
    +3,133

I heard about the licence "problem" and always " loose" mine, so that I have proof that I have all my entitlements.

Got to be ready for them. :)

• Like it Like it x 3
  12. Larby

Larby Funster

Ratings:
    +5,902
    I will need to keep my C1 soon so just in case it disappears I will take a copy of my Driving licence details as held by the DVLA

upload_2017-3-21_8-18-1.png

• Like it Like it x 1
  13. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Ratings:
    +3,652
    How strange a coincidence that is, I "lost" my pre 70year old licence too.:).

Message for Jim. Do we have a "Tongue in the cheek" Smiley? anywhere?.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +11,187
    Over the years I've have two incidents in France in cars both times the police were not interested until they had seen the V5. First time I had a car broken into in Lyon my V5 was in my briefcase in my customers office they would not do a thing until they had the V5. Second time in a supermarket car park in a village near Lyon (we give that area a wide birth now) couple of kids on a scooter rode up one the back hopped off opened passenger door tried to snatch the boss's bag couldn't get that so grabbed the laptop wich was on her lap. Again police refused to do anything until the V5 was produced.
    You may not get fined but without a crime report your insurance won't pay out.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. rod_vw

rod_vw Funster

Ratings:
    +53
    Interesting experience in Gran Canary some years ago....

Not personally involved with the accident but in charge of the vehicle after when asked by the police for the V5C. I requested that I copied it first before handing it over which I did. I then offered the officer both copies and he took the copy! I was then told that I could collect it from the police station the next day not as though it was very important as they only had a photocopy.

Rod

16. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Ratings:
    +5,440
    Been travelling all over Europe for over 40 years and I've never been stopped or asked for documents. Saying that, I always carry them with me anyway.

17. Fletton

Fletton Funster

Ratings:
    +4,793
    Anyone with a smartphone/tablet with a camera... can take a decent picture of any doc... save as a pic or pdf... and upload it to the cloud (dropbox etc)...

I do it with anything i deem important.. from V5 , manuals for stuff etc and even reciepts for some goods that I might need for warranty etc...

All in their respective folders..

It is then accessible anywhere.. and on any device or PC if you have an internet connection..

18. StephandJohn

StephandJohn Funster

Ratings:
    +87
    Does this mean that yoou have to carry the V5 with you in case the van gets nicked with all your docs in it while you're away/

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +11,187
    To be legal yes.

• Like it Like it x 2
  20. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +10,460
    DEFFO in France! If you have left your V5 in the MO, Police report will mention it, saying that you have made it easy for the robbers, which might affect the amount of money your insurance will give you.

• Informative Informative x 3