No Steering Wheel Controls - Is There An Alternative? (1 Viewer)

Alesupper

Free Member
Dec 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SP
Hi All

Our Fiat Ducato based MH does not have steering wheel controls for the stereo system. I have this on our cars and miss it when driving the MH, so I wondered if there was any method of obtaining some kind of steering wheel controls for the stereo system. The main thing that I would like is the ability to adjust the volume and maybe skip forward to the next track.

TIA

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It depends what unit you have in, in a previous PVC we had a Pioneer (I think!) unit and were able to buy a steering wheel kit for it which could be attached and used as it if had been installed originally. Perhaps doing a search for your unit might bring up some accessories.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Alesupper

Alesupper

Free Member
Dec 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SP
You can upgrade the steering wheel, but it does involve messing with airbag, and then I believe the ecu
I've not manage to find anyone online who has actually successfully done this. Have you?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Alesupper

Alesupper

Free Member
Dec 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SP
It depends what unit you have in, in a previous PVC we had a Pioneer (I think!) unit and were able to buy a steering wheel kit for it which could be attached and used as it if had been installed originally. Perhaps doing a search for your unit might bring up some accessories.
Thanks, I will look into this. If it came down to it, I would be happy to buy a new stereo unit if it meant I could have this facility.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
My steering wheel volume control is crap so I wouldn't bother with an OEM wheel. When I press for volume down it sometimes goes up or doesn't work.

Upvote 0

Incarpaul

Free Member
Sep 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Boxer Campervan
Exp
Do you have buttons on your present steering wheel? If so then check rear of your radio or get the radio model number and see if it’s compatible with Steering wheel controls and buy the interface depending on age of van.

if your steering wheel don’t have controls it a whole different job, might need wiring and then activating in the BSI

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
There are numerous forums for Mercedes and VW Sprinters in Europe and the US.

I even fitted VW sat nav from A T5 multivan into my T5 van. VW said it could not be done, I did it. The only thing I needed help with was the canbus signal connector. I gleaned that from a German enthusiast site.

I also upgraded our 2007 Sprinter van steering wheel controls and fitted Mercedes Comand.

So, it can be done. I just don’t think it will be as easy to locate someone to do it and the knowledge.

Can you post a photo of your radio head set and steering wheel please ?

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
<Broken link removed>
Cheap and cheerful. Might be worth a punt.
I had one of these years ago. It worked on IR light like a TV remote. It was designed for left hand drive vehicles to be clipped into the right side of the wheel where it would be close to the radio. But for UK vehicles where the wheel is on the other side, when you put it on the right side of the wheel, it was a long way from the radio and didn't work much of the time, particularly in strong sunlight. I found it worked OK when I mounted it upside down on the other side, but then it was too annoying to be useful. Maybe they've got better?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back