Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Looking at a prospective place to park near to The Badachro pub in Scotland on Google Earth, there is a sign that says "No overnight parking of caravans !":Doh:

What do you make of that and is it a legal sign ???:whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Exp
9 years !!!!

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
As you are not a caravan you are therefore not breaking the law!
On public land there will be bye laws in all probability. The sign has to provide specific warning so no staying in vehicles over night is specific, no camping may not be if you have 40 foot USRV. No sleeping in vehicles is also specific. Anything else and you are free to stay and sleep
Remember it is not the police who will endoprce most bye laws but bye law officers, they will be tucked up at home in nice warm beds and do 09.00 to 17.30. If you are approached by an irate member of the public, explain you are not local, sympathise with him, ask him to show you the bye law and where the warning sign is.
When I spent time in Scotland last year we came across such signs often,however we stayed overnight and all the local dog walkers etc we met were very friendly and even wished us a good holiday .

Vlad

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
From the information I obtained from Highland Council it is legal. The signs are probably a result of the Highland Regional Council (off street parking spaces) order. As the council said, "Please also note that our car parks/lay byes are not suitable for overnight stays".

The legal definition of "caravan" includes motor caravans, not just the tugged variety.

As to whether the order will be enforced overnight it probably depends on the amount of nuisance caused. It used to be the case in Scarborough Borough that council enforcement officers were "tucked up at home in nice warm beds" but since the changes which came in this year that is no longer the case.

Last edited:

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
"No overnight parking" signs were always only "advisory," and our Highland Council have now agreed that they all be removed. Most have gone already, but there are still a few around, and some crafty locals have taken to erecting their own in various guises. They are not legally enforceable on public roads.

Link Removed

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
There's places to sleep and places to sleep! Clearly in Gods country common sense has won the day .You can in quiet, beautiful locations,park up enjoy the view and spend the night without fearing being disturbed by an enforcement officer.
Or you could go to the remote wilderness that is Scarborough park up in a car park,knowing the enforcers are out there and take your chances!:ROFLMAO:
Its been said before locations the key, it's easier to wild camp in quiet secluded areas than it is to,what some call freeload,in suburbia!:winky:

Vlad

Last edited:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
There's places to sleep and places to sleep! Clearly in Gods country common sense has won the day .You can in quiet, beautiful locations,park up enjoy the view and spend the night without fearing being disturbed by an enforcement officer.
[HI]Or you could go to the remote wilderness that is Scarborough[/HI] park up in a car park,knowing the enforcers are out there and take your chances!:ROFLMAO:
Its been said before locations the key, it's easier to wild camp in quiet secluded areas than it is to,what some call freeload,in suburbia!:winky:

Vlad

No I'll take my chances with Scotland the locals are great(few Jobswths)
the locals in Scarborough are also OK
but the Scarborough Jobsworths are a pain in the posterior.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

How do you do that? :whatthe:

All I get in the browser is the google co.uk address not the rest of it, do you save it to your own maps?
Will check back in t'morning, gotta turn in.

... open Google Maps, type a search into the address bar of the map, in this example, " The Badachro pub, Scotland "

that goes to the map showing the pub. ... I went to street view and did a virtual drive along the road until I found the car park.. then zoom in on the sign..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
"No overnight parking" signs were always only "advisory," and our Highland Council have now agreed that they all be removed. Most have gone already, but there are still a few around, and some crafty locals have taken to erecting their own in various guises. They are not legally enforceable on public roads.

Link Removed

I may be wrong, but as I read it this report is about laybys ... not car parks.. Do the council make that distinction ?

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
... open Google Maps, type a search into the address bar of the map, in this example, " The Badachro pub, Scotland "

that goes to the map showing the pub. ... I went to street view and did a virtual drive along the road until I found the car park.. then zoom in on the sign..

Sorry I'll say that again. Did that easilly enough but all I still had in my browser address bar after I found the place was "www.googlemaps.co.uk", it didn't give me the exact location with all the detail that your address did to take me back to the same spot. Does that make sense? :shout:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
No I'll take my chances with Scotland the locals are great(few Jobswths)
the locals in Scarborough are also OK
but the [HI]Scarborough Jobsworths are a pain in the posterior[/HI].
Now that is a really constructive comment which is absolutely going to do the cause of motorhomers a power of good isn't it? - NOT :Angry:

In Scarborough Borough the problem was that camping by people just where they liked led to complaints by local residents. It was then suggested by certain members & officers that certain Council car parks (or parts of them) be officially designated for the overnight stay of Camper Vans. When the proposal was properly looked into it was discovered that change of use would be required and that planning policy would be breached, specifically that permission for new caravan sites would not be granted as sufficient existed in the borough already. Private applicants had been unsuccessful in gaining consent for sites in the past and it would be inconsistent for the Council to treat itself differently.

This is a similar situation to that met in other parts of the country. The only way in which change of policy will ever have a chance of being achieved is if people approach local authorities constructively and politely with evidence as to the benefits of making such changes. Simply bandying about insults will harden attitudes against making changes.

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Exp
9 years !!!!
Badachro Inn update !!

Been in touch with the pub via e-mail ! :thumb: They say no problem at all and look forward to our visit !:winky:

If you G.Earth Badachro, you will realise that it is a gem in the wilderness that is the Highlands ! Now looking for a wildcamp in the Inverness vicinity along the A835 !!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Last edited:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
go to a site with ehu and pay ya dues u tight git :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
You've always got that other spot further on :thumb:

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Exp
9 years !!!!
Been in touch with the pub via e-mail ! :thumb: They say no problem at all and look forward to our visit !:winky:

If you G.Earth Badachro, you will realise that it is a gem in the wilderness that is the Highlands ! Now looking for a wildcamp in the Inverness vicinity along the A835 !!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Looking at G.Earth, spotted a place opposite The Kessock Hotel just over the Inverness bridge !!:thumb: Any comments ?????

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Looking at G.Earth, spotted a place opposite The Kessock Hotel just over the Inverness bridge !!:thumb: Any comments ?????

You will pass this place, on my pub stop map. It's on the A835
Link here Link

Inchbae Lodge Guest House
Last Updated by Keithhep on Oct 24, 2012
Water
Grey dump
Inchbae Lodge Guest House
By Garve
Garve, Ross-Shire IV23 2PH
01997 455 269
inchbae.co.uk

Last edited:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Now that is a really constructive comment which is absolutely going to do the cause of motorhomers a power of good isn't it? - NOT :Angry:

In Scarborough Borough the problem was that camping by people just where they liked led to complaints by local residents. It was then suggested by certain members & officers that certain Council car parks (or parts of them) be officially designated for the overnight stay of Camper Vans. When the proposal was properly looked into it was discovered that change of use would be required and that planning policy would be breached, specifically that permission for new caravan sites would not be granted as sufficient existed in the borough already. Private applicants had been unsuccessful in gaining consent for sites in the past and it would be inconsistent for the Council to treat itself differently.

This is a similar situation to that met in other parts of the country. The only way in which change of policy will ever have a chance of being achieved is if people approach local authorities constructively and politely with evidence as to the benefits of making such changes. Simply bandying about insults will harden attitudes against making changes.

Not bandying Insults merely pointing out that is the way I see it
Scarborough council control a large area and while the council may do a spendid job some of their employess can be a bit along the Jobsworth model.

Personally I dont use Scarborough at all now but park up wherever locally
it is both legal and safe. and following on from that how much trade has the
town lost un necessarily (Which is bad in this day & Age)?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Exp
9 years !!!!
MHF does it again !!

Thanks for that Keith !! sent them an e-mail ...just the right distance from Moffat too, 5 hours .:Cool::Cool::Cool:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not bandying Insults merely pointing out that is the way I see it
Scarborough council control a large area and while the council may do a spendid job some of their employess can be a bit along the Jobsworth model.
Jobsworth is an unwarranted insult in itself in that context. A council employee enforcing parking rules is no different from a checkout operator in a supermarket who refuses to give a discount.
Personally I dont use Scarborough at all now but park up wherever locally
it is both legal and safe. and following on from that how much trade has the
town lost un necessarily (Which is bad in this day & Age)?
No idea how much, indeed it might have increased. Have you asked them or just made an assumption to fit a preconception?

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999

We've stayed there, go to the far end as there is a bottle bank and makes a racket, beats me why they put there bottle in there at around 1 am in the morning :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back