no overtaking 3.5T (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have seen these signs previously but last time had a 3.7 ton MH, so basically ignored them

the sign shows 2 car symbols with LH one red implying no overtaking, with the letters 3.5T

this presumable means any thing cars included over 3.5t cant over take, the road south of Poitiers N10, has these signs for the whole length we have driven so far

It must mean no overtaking, we weigh about 4.5T plated at 5.0T so decided not to chance it and stuck in line of lorries, speed limit for most of road was 90kph for cars 80 kph 3.5T so not lot to be gained anyway, other than the lead lorry about 50 ahead of us slowed on hills to 70kph, a few lorries overtook, but hardly any

what would / do you lot do?

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
In my daily drive a Renault Trafic I am limited to 50/60/70 with a tracker so I stick to the limit. They have done this for a reason, perhaps a history of accidents?

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I seen these signs when we was in France a couple of months ago, unfortunately when i first spotted one i was already in the fast lane overtaking some crawlers, never heard anything off the French ol bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
funnily enough halfway along the road (40 odd miles) the police were out with cameras, so my decision not to overtake was good

was not intending on speeding, just slightly confused by the odd lorry coming by

I should add this is a dual carriageway

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes I was just going to say that flic is often hiding in the bushes (y) I'm always happy to give them a smile of satisfaction :D

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Yes I was just going to say that flic is often hiding in the bushes (y) I'm always happy to give them a smile of satisfaction :D

Your good, we give them a special two finger wave....from under the dashboard!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
It's the same down much of that stretch between Bordeaux and the Spanish border, especially the pine forested bit with the wide fire breaks beside the autoroute. The result is long lines of lorries chugging along theoretically unable to overtake, and cars driving long stretches in the fast lane trying to get round them, just like in Britain. Doesn't stop some truckers overtaking though. Not an issue for us 3.5t lightweights but doubtless a pain for others.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It's the same down much of that stretch between Bordeaux and the Spanish border, especially the pine forested bit with the wide fire breaks beside the autoroute. The result is long lines of lorries chugging along theoretically unable to overtake, and cars driving long stretches in the fast lane trying to get round them, just like in Britain. Doesn't stop some truckers overtaking though. Not an issue for us 3.5t lightweights but doubtless a pain for others.

that was the last place we were as aware of this signage issue, but that strtch is now mainly peage so I hear, so might not apply now, will find out tomorrow

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I have seen these signs previously but last time had a 3.7 ton MH, so basically ignored them

the sign shows 2 car symbols with LH one red implying no overtaking, with the letters 3.5T

this presumable means any thing cars included over 3.5t cant over take, the road south of Poitiers N10, has these signs for the whole length we have driven so far

It must mean no overtaking, we weigh about 4.5T plated at 5.0T so decided not to chance it and stuck in line of lorries, speed limit for most of road was 90kph for cars 80 kph 3.5T so not lot to be gained anyway, other than the lead lorry about 50 ahead of us slowed on hills to 70kph, a few lorries overtook, but hardly any

what would / do you lot do?

Obey the rule and don't overtake! If you're caught , it might cost you an arm !!!!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
At one of the factories where I worked the clocking in machine was known as "Herr Flic". Not only was it the authority on who was in and when but it was made by the Blick company. Sorry, going off topic.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Just be ware. Sometime ago I read an article in a French magazine, it was about the problem of Brits coming over to France and thinking they could just flout the French traffic laws.
The French police inspector remarked that many Brit drivers just think by feining ignorance and lack of language they can jaust drive off or if they have a little of the language can talk them selves out of the situation or just argue with the police. His attitide was that his officers were always right, and if you really want to argue, they also have guns and are not afraid to use them.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Slooooow down to the limit and enjoy the scenery :)

we were doing that, I only queried the overtaking bit of the law, not the speed limit

at what point do you over take, the limit is 80 kph, so if front lorry slows to 40 kph, do we all have to follow??

a good few of us are over 3.5T so it potentially applies to all of them at least

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
That judgement would be down to conditions .ie why did he slow what's ahead ??
Can I make it saftley ,how valuable is my licence If the plod are about ?
Fancy your chances go for it in the minimum time/space
We just tend to relax and enjoy never in a hurry to get anywhere ,others always tomorrow

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
we were doing that, I only queried the overtaking bit of the law, not the speed limit

at what point do you over take, the limit is 80 kph, so if front lorry slows to 40 kph, do we all have to follow??

a good few of us are over 3.5T so it potentially applies to all of them at least

Mmmmmmm, tough call. Perhaps you have to be there to weigh up all the options. What about overtaking a cyclist or tractor where there's double white lines? :whistle:

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Be wary on the N10 from Poitiers down as they police it heavily, the motorbikes hide and work in 3s usually.
The other year they had a fairground wagon running up and down just enticing wagons to pass they must have made a fortune. We seen 3 wagons pulled on the trip back up last March.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back