LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
It's the same down much of that stretch between Bordeaux and the Spanish border, especially the pine forested bit with the wide fire breaks beside the autoroute. .

You havn't been for a while have you.. :) It's been a toll 3 lane motorway for a while now... They must be turning over some right cash with all those trucks and cars !!!

Ref the N10. Poitiers - Bordeaux, Yes the sign means nothing over 3.5t... I have used it a lot 4-6 times a year.. Some trucks do overtake but at their risk, same as the 80kph limit... My van is 4.25t and must admit I have taken the chance a few times, crossing my fingers that my van looks the same as all those French vans that scream past me..

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
I found whem I came back from Spain in April that the lorries seemed to be playing a new game. when I pulled out to overtake they would deliberately speed up causing me to exceed my limit therefore putting me more at risk of being stopped for speeding. As soon as I was passed they would immediately slow again to their limit. Most annoying.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
You havn't been for a while have you.. :)

About a fortnight ago. Stretches of the Autoroute to/from Spain still have overtaking restrictions and long convoys of lorries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
You don`t have to go abroad we came up the A34 yesterday approaching a long hill sign posts said no 7.5t in outside lane.
We are only 4.5t so no worries, except we were behind at least 10 container carrying Artics.
Not a policeman in sight.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
That was the old N10 duel carrigeway, use it many times but never saw many French MH's obaying so never bothered.
It's now 3 lane MW toll rd (A63?) so no problem.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
David I live very close to the N10 and use it very frequently.My old van is 3,200.I therefore am legal to overtake these annoying lines of trucks.
I have been flashed as my van is 7 mtrs plus but not "yet" had any tickets phew.I thinks it's because when the pictures are analysed they look at the carte Gris and of course can see the weight is under.
In addition I frequently see near misses when a driver in the convoy gets tired of the 90 limit especially on a hill and suddenly pulls out of line and illegally overtakes.As an ex trucker I understand the frustration but seen some very dangerous stuff.
As an aside when I enter the N10 from a slip,should there be a convoy,they travel so close and are very reluctant to drop back to allow you to filter in often meaning you will end up stationary at the end of the slip,very dangerous .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Same as ours.....no overtaking.
unnamed.png

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Same as ours.....no overtaking.View attachment 45732

but with the added weight reference to potentially confuse

anyway, quite happy with the 80 kph limit, a bit tiresome on some long uphills where they could have but haven't added a crawler lane, been down as low as 45kph once today

but hey, look positive, we are on holiday anyway and have just seen 23.3mpg on computer for first time (y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I found whem I came back from Spain in April that the lorries seemed to be playing a new game. when I pulled out to overtake they would deliberately speed up causing me to exceed my limit therefore putting me more at risk of being stopped for speeding. As soon as I was passed they would immediately slow again to their limit. Most annoying.

Envy bad enough but truck envy in particular a mortal sin...

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
as mine is 3.5 ton. I can overtake. but as mine is very old, I would just hold the cars up. so just enjoy the trip.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
You don`t have to go abroad we came up the A34 yesterday approaching a long hill sign posts said no 7.5t in outside lane.
We are only 4.5t so no worries, except we were behind at least 10 container carrying Artics.
Not a policeman in sight.

I'd be willing to bet that was just past Newbury.

If so they've been doing that since just after Swampy came down from the trees - ie as long as it's been dual carriageway ! Even on a 'fairly high performance' motorbike, it's often impossible to 'make progress' thereabouts LOL

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back