"No Overnight Parking" signs in Highland (1 Viewer)

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We have had a couple of trips over to mainland Orkney now, getting the hang of the motorhome, and now we plan to go a bit further afield, over to North West Sutherland for a few days.

I read that Highland Council have removed some or all "No Overnight Parking" signs. Can anyone confirm that they have all been removed, or just those on major roads?

I understand that they are not legal anyway, and are not enforced? If there are any left, what are people's views on ignoring them?

Steve

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
If there is a sign to say "No Overnight Parking" just move on ...... there are so many possible parking spots you will find one without a sign not very far away.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
If I cannot find anywhere else to overnight I ignore the signs in the firm belief at best I will be asked to move on. As yet have had no trouble. However I obey the signs in urban areas with house and people about. I am sensitive to what other people might think

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Does this look like a new 'legal' one ?

It's on Skye at Glen Brittle

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.2...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sJq51mBPtQ34PpNhS_oGPtA!2e0
Is that a lay-by or a car park Jim? The ones erected without backing of a legal order were, I believe, all in lay-bys. I did read somewhere that annoyed locals had, in some places, erected their own replacements.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Is that a lay-by or a car park Jim? The ones erected without backing of a legal order were, I believe, all in lay-bys. I did read somewhere that annoyed locals had, in some places, erected their own replacements.

It's a car park outside Broken Link Removedthat we used with a tent a couple of years ago. We were thinking of revisiting this area with a camper van ..
The site's main attraction is the location, the car park's main attraction is that it's free and it shares the same vistas, same access to the beach, walking etc.

The site costs are
Adults £8, Child £5, Electric hook-up £7

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
We were at Glen Brittle just this week. The "No Overnight Parking" is 0f the standard Highland Council variety, and is unenforceable. Highland were ordered to remove them all, but they state that in remoter areas it will be done as and when the available workforce becomes available. We stayed there along with several others. IGNORE THEM!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Shieldaig !!!!!!!! Stayed for 3 nights !
image.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back