Apr 23, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Soon too buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hiya

Im hoping some of you guys could offer some advice we have been looking at the rimmors and Ci's and have noticed that they don't have ovens or they have very small grills.

Im wondering how any one who has a van without an oven cope or get on?

thanks in advance

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
mines a frigidaire. best 135 quid i spent . came with lpg jets as well. so ideal.
compared to what is charged for camping m,home cookers its a bargain .
i know when we were building vw campers it always amazed me how expensive cookers for campers could be yet house hold so cheap.
mind in 2000 i only payed 199 quid for all my cupboards and units at b&q.
i know too heavy for many . but they really have stood up to being dragged all over the place , and you should see how the trailer twists when going off road etc .
but proper cooker and full size sink drainer was two of my musts and a big shower .

Upvote 0

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
of you guys who have a continental van do you find them good quality as i have found them to be a bit cheaper than their counterparts.

But I suspect that they won't be for much longer.

Our French MH has a microwave, no grill or oven. The thing that you choose to cook on or in is determined by the type of food that you choose to eat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
Our Nuevo has an excellent oven - regularly used and did a full roast dinner in it last time we were away, roast loin of pork with roast potatoes.
We're on our first long trip away in 2 weeks time of 10 days (previous longest has been 4) - the dogs have home cooked food, so the oven will be a must to roast their chicken.

We also use it for a pizza on our quick weekend stops where we set off when I finish work on Fri evening.
Unpackaged the pizza huck it in the oven whilst all the other set-up is done, feed the dogs, etc and then sit out with a cuppa and pizza for tea.

As said though, depends on what and how much cooking you intend to do.

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Our first 2 vans had ovens. The one we have now only has a small (and virtually useless!) oven above the fridge/freezer (techtower). I really miss having a proper oven and will insist on one when we change this van.

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Was a tugger for more years than I can remember never used the oven in any of our caravans and had motorhome for 9 years and once again never used it ..makes good place to store the cadac though.lol

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
really could all depend on how or how long you use the vehicle for at a time . if you use campsites or free park etc . or use restaurants etc. i,m sure long terming is nicer with the oven .

Upvote 0
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Our Rollerteam has a smallish oven. I use it a lot as we race motocross so often camp in some pretty horrific conditions. I have cooked mini roast dinners, Indian and Chinese, part baked rolls, jacket spuds etc. I had to buy another shelf to make it workable, however the stupid integral grill means that I have to be very careful how high my baking trays and dishes are as it protrudes downwards right in the centre of the oven. We will probably see if it's can be removed and the gas supply capped to make the oven more user friendly. When we go abroad we often cook outside on the Cadac. It all depends on where you go and what you want to cook. :)

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Our Rollerteam has a smallish oven. I use it a lot as we race motocross so often camp in some pretty horrific conditions. I have cooked mini roast dinners, Indian and Chinese, part baked rolls, jacket spuds etc. I had to buy another shelf to make it workable, however the stupid integral grill means that I have to be very careful how high my baking trays and dishes are as it protrudes downwards right in the centre of the oven. We will probably see if it's can be removed and the gas supply capped to make the oven more user friendly. When we go abroad we often cook outside on the Cadac. It all depends on where you go and what you want to cook. :)
But how can you do cheese on toast without a grill? :eek:

Upvote 0

J H

Funster
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Toast the bread on the hob and melt the cheese in a pan. Then pour or scrape the cheese onto the toast. Job done (y)

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That's another advantage of no oven :D, can't stand cooked cheese :D
You really must try to broaden your ambitions! :) You are missing one of life's great pleasures. :)

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
We lived over three years without an oven but I recently installed my own and it gets used a lot
Performance of this model is excellent and predictable
Follow this thread for my early enquiries and finally pictures of fitting.
Same negative comments as usual but it really is excellent
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rapido-oven-models.132104/

Upvote 0

michpiggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
West lancashire
Funster No
MH
Elddis advante 285
Exp
2 and 1/2 years of owning a motorhome.... 12 years owning a touring caravan
Hi we have a Hobby with a very high oven grill thingy.
It is too high for me to use so I use the 3 gas rings and have got a halogen oven oh and had a microwave put it for ping it rice ect.
Works a treat.
We also have a Cadac for IF the weather is nice hubby can cook outside.

Upvote 0
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
But how can you do cheese on toast without a grill? :eek:

Last time I used the grill was for crumpets......never again.....Bloody drop down door. Buttered them, turned around and boom...walked straight into the door that I had left down. Imagine my horror to see one of the beautiful crumpets slide in slow motion form the plate and glide towards the floor!!! Absolutely mortified, such a waste of good butter. :cry:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Toast the bread on the hob and melt the cheese in a pan. Then pour or scrape the cheese onto the toast. Job done (y)
We don't have a grill but do the toast on the hob, then mix grated cheese with some soft cheese and pepper, put it on the toast then blast with a mini blow torch ... mmmmmmmmmmm.

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That's another advantage of no oven :D, can't stand cooked cheese :D
Try my recipe Graham, it's much nicer IMV than just plain slices of cheese on toast as it has a much nicer texture and not overly strong.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Try my recipe Graham, it's much nicer IMV than just plain slices of cheese on toast as it has a much nicer texture and not overly strong.
Not just cheese on toast Mel. I can't stand Pizza, cheese sauces or any other cooked cheese.
I like cheeses like Cheshire, Wensleydale, Caerphilly and White Stilton but not keen on hard cheeses like Cheddar and can't stand the sweaty sock varieties :LOL:

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I use a small slow cooker and don't miss my oven at all. I can even bake bread and make cakes in the slow cooker. Mine is just a cheap one from Argos and pulls 90w max so runs off an invertor when we are travelling (sits in the sink). I also have a combi grill-microwave but that needs an EHU.

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I dig a hole in the ground and wrap a fish in newspaper and then light a fire and cover in sand.
Like Jamie f'n Oliver does:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I dig a hole in the ground and wrap a fish in newspaper and then light a fire and cover in sand.

Don't think you'd get away with that on a CC site though Chris! :D

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child

a few years ago on an evening when we had biggish campfires on the beach ,it was often the time to have a bread doe on the go, lift off a few shovel fulls of the fire and bury bread tins with some stones then put the fire back on top. in the morning you kind of got some bread . mind sometimes a bit scorched .
i think this encouraged the moroccan lads to bring bread round in the morning . ha ha .
think they felt sorry for us .

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'd defo get it certified, you need a safety cert
Not required and unlikly to get one unless you live in Germany.

We had an oven in our Autotrail never used it not got one in the Exsis use a Remoska they are brill.
Can't see the point of Remoska's & Microwaves they need an EHU we don't do EHU.

We don't have a grill but do the toast on the hob, then mix grated cheese with some soft cheese and pepper, put it on the toast then blast with a mini blow torch ... mmmmmmmmmmm.
Dam beat me to it.
At home we have one of those mini blow tourches for carmalising sugar etc., that would work quite well might put it in the van we love cooked cheese I think Graham is on his own.

We have Dometics poor excuse for an over the Tec Tower, oven is just about useable but the grill is not worth turning on.

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
When we had a brand new van my late Step Dad and Mum asked if they could use it for the finishing touches to a Xmas meal we were doing.

It was in Shrewsbury and of course we agreed.

An hour later there was cauliflower chees f'kin everywhere:D

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our oven and grill is used all the time, SWMBO does all the cooking and wouldn't contemplate a MH without one. We also have a microwave, basically for heating things up rather than cooking, and it runs fine from the inverter when off ehu.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We manage with no oven no problem but on holiday we don't cook that much anyway might be different if we are able to go a few weeks at a time

Upvote 0
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
http://www.outdoorworlddirect.co.uk...n=googlebase&gclid=CIGgqNiF184CFUwW0wodUHQNSQ

Just a thought has anybody tried this. Just wondered as we are thinking of a van that won't have an oven unless we order and wait a long time for the preferred option swmbo says we need it. At the moment we have micro and oven and use both. Only for reheating pre cooked meals. Think this may be the option when we are off grid

Upvote 0

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
We have a lovely oven that is brilliant to keep bread and fruit in. I believe you can use it to make things warm but we've not used it in that way. :) We do use the microwave but I'd happily swap the oven for a bigger cupboard.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Whilst the gas cartridge single burners (suitcase type) are very powerful I'm not sure how good an oven would be or how long a gas cartridge would last - they say 180 mins but at what setting - however it doesn't have a grill so very limited IMV.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back