No need for C1 medical for 12 months (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Wizzardi
Oct 31, 2018
Redruth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Peg 590
Exp
since 2009
Hi all, Just keeping you informed. Well rb62 (Richard) was spot on and the Knobhead on the dvla phone was wrong. I have just had my application returned with a letter telling me I need the D4, so will now have to get a medical done somewhere. Sorry to build your hopes up with the original thread.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Checked with my surgery and they are still doing D4 medicals and I have mine booked for the end of the month and will submit my renewal as normal for a 3 year licence which I would prefer. It will give me more certainty.
ezee
Done and posted off to the DVLA

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
I know doctors will charge different amounts for full Medicals but what sort of price have you been charged to have your own doctor?
I will try to phone my doc tomorrow (if I can get through) to ask but look forward to hearing from you.
I will be 70 at the beginning of April and will hopefully be applying to keep my C1 soon.
thanks
My doc was charging £150.00 last time whereas drivers online was charging £50.00

OP
OP
Wizzardi
Oct 31, 2018
Redruth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Peg 590
Exp
since 2009
Checked again with a different receptionist at doctors, and specsavers. I have now passed sight test and medical and have sent off the signed forms. All ok for another 3 years :smiley:. Specsavers was £10 and doctor was £90.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
You shouldnt be afraid of old farts with incorrect licences, you should be worried about incompetent b**st**s who should never own a licence to begin with. This old fart rides the 200mph zzr in the avatar with an advanced riders licence :giggle:
Is it all that farting that gives you the extra push to get over 200mph:LOL::LOL::LOL: l tried on mr R1 but Shat myself at 160 😩😩

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
My doc was charging £150.00 last time whereas drivers online was charging £50.00
If you do have any medical issues which can be relatively minor but nevertheless you take medication this route can cause delays, the DVLA then write to your Doctors for confirmation of your condition and any Medication and this can cause serious delays, you are then reliant on your Doctor/Surgery confirming any Medication that’s stated on the application and the Doctor/ Surgery are not in any hurry to respond.
l had this happen to me and had to beg the surgery to find the DVLA correspondence and respond to it. It took 7month and for 3 month l was in Europe. A nightmare through which l had followed the criteria,

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
How far in advance can you apply for the licence. Hubby's runs out in August

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
How far in advance can you apply for the licence. Hubby's runs out in August
90 days before the old one expires. If you renew it with more than 56 days remaining on the old license you do not have to provide a new photo or pay any fees. In effect that gives you a one month slot in which to make the application. My personal opinion is that this 1 month slot gets the application on a quick track because a new photo means more work for the DVLA verifying it against your passport photo.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Bloody Hell, the roads are going to be full of doddery old farts that don't hold the correct licence.
God Help us! :X3::rofl::imoutahere:
Watcha mean???
I'll have you know that the roads are already full of doddery old Farts that DO hold the correct licence. They can't read wot's on the licence though cos the writing's too small. :rofl:

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
After reading the OP I rang my GP about a medical as my licence expires mid May on my 70th, the answer I got was "don't you think I have more important things to do at the moment" He's always been a rude man.

So I rang the DVLA and, obligatory 15 minute wait later, I spoke to Marcus who told me that Yes, you do still require a medical to keep your C1 on Grandpa rights.

I explained that my doctor wouldn't accommodate a medical so he said I should just renew my standard licence and reclaim my C1 at a later date.

I said I thought that once you had foregone the C1 you could not reclaim it but he said you could reclaim it at any future point, so I said fine but I need it with the renewal in order to drive my motorhome, he said he couldn't help any further and I would have to try my doctor again as he is obliged to give me the medical, them's the rules?

Wondering now if I should ignore him and just do as Wizzardi is doing
Doctor said that to me He'd be needing a doctor himself!

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Reply to my query? Received yesterday

Thank you for your enquiry received on 4/6/2021.
Your case reference number is 04250045.

I appreciate you contacting DVLA to seek clarification on the matter.

I can confirm that you can renew your licence 3 months before its due to expire.

Driving licence holders who passed their car test before 1 January 1997 normally have higher entitlements (namely, C1 and D1). However, these entitlements end when the licence holder reaches the age of 70 years.

If you wish to keep these higher entitlements we recommend that you check with your doctor to make sure you can meet the higher medical standards for driving these vehicles.

You will need to complete a D2 application form and a D4 medical report.

These forms can be ordered here. Alternatively, you can get one from selected Post Offices® that offer driving licence transactions.

You can also download a D4 form online.

Who can complete the D4?
The D4 has to be completed by a doctor and you should ensure that all the relevant questions are completed.

Remember:

- To enclose your driving licence with your application

- No fee is required

- You don’t need to send ID unless you’ve had a change in your name since the last licence was issued or if you have an old style paper driving licence. For information on what ID to send and how this will be returned, please see the advice here

Where should I send my application?
DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1TU

How long will it take?
Paper applications are likely to take up to 6 weeks to process, but there may be additional delays in processing more complex transactions. There is no need to phone to chase up your application during this time as we are dealing with all paper applications as quickly as possible and in the order in which they are received.

I hope this information finds you well.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Also worth noting from the D2 notes that you only need to send a new photograph if there is less than 56 days remaining on your old license. This means getting your application in during the first few weeks of the the 3 months allowed. Less for them to process may help things move along, I got mine back in less than 6 weeks earlier this year.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Reply to my query? Received yesterday

Thank you for your enquiry received on 4/6/2021.
Your case reference number is 04250045.

I appreciate you contacting DVLA to seek clarification on the matter.

I can confirm that you can renew your licence 3 months before its due to expire.

Driving licence holders who passed their car test before 1 January 1997 normally have higher entitlements (namely, C1 and D1). However, these entitlements end when the licence holder reaches the age of 70 years.

If you wish to keep these higher entitlements we recommend that you check with your doctor to make sure you can meet the higher medical standards for driving these vehicles.

You will need to complete a D2 application form and a D4 medical report.

These forms can be ordered here. Alternatively, you can get one from selected Post Offices® that offer driving licence transactions.

You can also download a D4 form online.

Who can complete the D4?
The D4 has to be completed by a doctor and you should ensure that all the relevant questions are completed.

Remember:

- To enclose your driving licence with your application

- No fee is required

- You don’t need to send ID unless you’ve had a change in your name since the last licence was issued or if you have an old style paper driving licence. For information on what ID to send and how this will be returned, please see the advice here

Where should I send my application?
DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1TU

How long will it take?
Paper applications are likely to take up to 6 weeks to process, but there may be additional delays in processing more complex transactions. There is no need to phone to chase up your application during this time as we are dealing with all paper applications as quickly as possible and in the order in which they are received.

I hope this information finds you well.
You are lucky, they have had mine since March, can't get through on phone, won't answer e-mails or letters,
Absolute waste of space money, time and fresh air, needs to be taken out of Wales and put somewhere where people aree prepared to work, not whinge

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
My other half is 70 at the end of June. He got a medical and had already had a current eye test. £55 with D4Drivers. He said the Dr was very thorough and checked all the forms. Sent them off in April with no new photo as per the 56 day rule. Licence received back in May all OK but it runs out on 8th May and not the 30th June as previously.

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
You are lucky, they have had mine since March, can't get through on phone, won't answer e-mails or letters,
Absolute waste of space money, time and fresh air, needs to be taken out of Wales and put somewhere where people aree prepared to work, not whinge
The Welsh are not whingers generally,
If you saw the BBC news article, 50% of the DVLA staff
were infected by covid due to poor management
of safe distance spacing in the workplace
consequently staff are working from home
and the DVLA non covid compliance rules are under investigation

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
The Welsh are not whingers generally,
If you saw the BBC news article, 50% of the DVLA staff
were infected by covid due to poor management
of safe distance spacing in the workplace
consequently staff are working from home
and the DVLA non covid compliance rules are under investigation
When i contracted Covid in March 2020, along with over half of the other employees, and i ended up in HDU, we complained that the company had been negligent, and all we received were our P45's, and they shut the company down,
Those at DVLA want to think themselves lucky to still have a job.
I sent my age 70 renewal retaining C1, in March, they are still processing it,
I cannot continue with my part time driving job because i cannot provide a valid licence.
I am getting no financial assistance from anyone, except dipping into my savings.
Those at DVLA will, when they finally return to work, no doubt work paid overtime to clear the backlog they have created.
If they are working from home. what is the problem?? why can they not carry out their legal duties to return people's licences in the prescribed timescales.
No-one there answers, 'phones, e-mail or letters.
This whole country is in the 5h1t, and we all need to pull together to get out of it.
We don't need or want strikes like this,

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
When i contracted Covid in March 2020, along with over half of the other employees, and i ended up in HDU, we complained that the company had been negligent, and all we received were our P45's, and they shut the company down,
Those at DVLA want to think themselves lucky to still have a job.
I sent my age 70 renewal retaining C1, in March, they are still processing it,
I cannot continue with my part time driving job because i cannot provide a valid licence.
I am getting no financial assistance from anyone, except dipping into my savings.
Those at DVLA will, when they finally return to work, no doubt work paid overtime to clear the backlog they have created.
If they are working from home. what is the problem?? why can they not carry out their legal duties to return people's licences in the prescribed timescales.
No-one there answers, 'phones, e-mail or letters.
This whole country is in the 5h1t, and we all need to pull together to get out of it.
We don't need or want strikes like this,
When my C1 came up for renewal had a recent eye test used D4U for medical
( as previously my GP made a mess X 2 filling the forms and cost £90 )
I had a reply from DVLA stating they needed a stress test carried out by the NHS (that DVLA would pay for)
but due to NHS staff dealing with covid the DVLA were not at the time asking the NHS to carry out these
non medically essential tests, but in the meantime my C1 was still under review and not refused
I was therefore still allowed to drive (the DVLA letter confirmed this)
when 8 months later the NHS eased their restrictions and I had the stress test,
the DVLA issued my C1 within 2 weeks and was dated for 3 years from date of issue
not from date of previous licence expiry, so 3 full years entitlement,
and was authorised to drive in the intervening months,
getting them on the phone is a pain,
but someone will answer on average in about 15 minutes,
from what you have experiences yourself
I am sure you can sympathise with people anywhere who are put at risk
of contracting covid due to their employers working conditions.
really hope you get your licence soon, and that we can all get back to
our normal safe relatively safe world.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
I had a reply from DVLA stating they needed a stress test carried out by the NHS (that DVLA would pay for)
but due to NHS staff dealing with covid the DVLA were not at the time asking the NHS to carry out these
non medically essential tests, but in the meantime my C1 was still under review and not refused
the DVLA issued my C1 within 2 weeks and was dated for 3 years from date of issue
Thanks for that, but this situation is not helping my stress levels,
I am still driving, bit a bit worried if i am stopped as i cannot produce a valid licence, my copy is now expired, and the DVLA checker shows expired.
The odds are well against me if i were ever prosecuted for "no licence"
As i said this country needs to ;pull together and get out of this mess, not keep finding people and things to blame.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Can you please give me the number which you found they will answer within 15 mins,
every number i can find just has a recorded message saying "Industrial action is currently taking place at DVLA, and then cuts off"
They will not answer e-mails, or letters,
Absolute ignorant tossers.
Seriously considering driving down there next week and standing at their reception desk until i get my licence, will chani myself to it if necessary,
Totally fed up with this whole situation

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
Can you please give me the number which you found they will answer within 15 mins,
every number i can find just has a recorded message saying "Industrial action is currently taking place at DVLA, and then cuts off"
They will not answer e-mails, or letters,
Absolute ignorant tossers.
Seriously considering driving down there next week and standing at their reception desk until i get my licence, will chani myself to it if necessary,
Totally fed up with this whole situation
try using the web chat on
contact.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles

If you decide to drive down to protest
I can offer a " safe night parking"
as only 7 miles from the DVLA building

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
DVLA staff are on strike, because they believe they were put at risk during this pandemic,
I wonder if they have considered what would happen if everyone who had been "put at risk",went on strike??
NHS staff
Ambulance crews
Police
Fire Service
Shop workers
bin men
postal workers
delivery drivers
care workers
food processing / manufacturing workers
Scientific workers who created this wonderful vaccine
maintenance staff who look after the premises and vehicles so that those above can continue to selflessly provide us with the services we need.

All 3 of our sons are considered essential workers, and have only had minimal time off work since March 2020, as they are on call 24/7/365, and can only work from home a very small amount of the time, Have they gone on strike, no, because they believe like myself trhat we all have a duty to others to pull the country out of this situation, and not take a me, me, me attitude.

My deepest thanks go out to all those who continued to work throughout this pandemic, DVLA staff want to think about all of these people

Thanks
Joe

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back