No motorhome is perfect, but I wonder which one would be the best for us. (1 Viewer)

Kathy and Jon

Free Member
Dec 18, 2017
Countesthorpe
Funster No
:rolleyes: Looking into our new adventure, is really exciting and so so so time consuming :ROFLMAO:

After doing some research, we feel that the MH with a rear lounge, separate shower cubicle and a pull down bed sounds the best. As least you have a lounge to chill out in and a bed that you don't have to keep making up and taking down and you can go to bed earlier if you so wish, while your partners chills in the lounge and we believe is larger than a double, which it needs to be and a shower that you don't have to stand over the loo to have a shower.

Would there be any recommendations on makes

Thanks for your help :xThumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Depends on the length you want one at 6meters fitting that description could fit the Hymer 584 or 544. Years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Budget will be a factor...

If a chunky budget, Hymer Duomobile (2 sizes available) would be a good starting point.

If not so chunky, Hymer 544 (not strictly rear Lounge but would work as you suggest re different bed times) would be a great choice.

I’m sure others will be along too with their recommendations.

It’s exciting times, enjoy the selection process!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Im biased in favour of the B584 as it's what I have. Big lounge & excellent drop-down bed + a single if needed from the side seating. A rear lounge offers something that ex-tuggers (I'm one) find attractive but, especially in an A-class, the best seats in the house are the cab seats when rotated. You also have the view from the windscreen. A rear lounge mh works well for families with children in that the van is divided into two very separate areas. For a couple I see that as a disadvantage.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Your best bet is to go look at lots of vans, maybe at a few dealers. Layout is probably the most important consideration but don't forget overall size i.e. will it fit your driveway or storage place. Hymer and Frankia are good names but by no means are the only manufacturers, there are a lot more. Similarly don't think A-class are the only body types - you may well find a coach-built, either low-profile or over-cab, or even a PCV would suit you better (although I can't recall a PCV with a drop-down bed). There'll be lots more recommendations along shortly, everybody has their favourite.

To get the most benefit from the forum get a subscription - it'll be the best £15 you will ever spend on motorhoming. You then have access to lots more resources, including Jim's excellent book on buying a motorhome.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Is it a new buy or a second hand one, is the budget high, medium or low?

We have just bought a Hymer A class 1998, 2 lovely, long sofas in the lounge for day use, these make into 2 singles or a huge double, plus the drop down bed, Merc rear wheel drive 2.9, excellent condition with a host of extras, with a £17000 budget.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Loads of manufacturers. We have a Rapido and very happy from a quality, after sales support (more about that in the New Year!) and layout. Just be wary about payload (broken record again!)

One of the problems with a drop down bed can be the ladder access and not disturbing other half when/if you have to get up during the night but you may have thought of that already.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
But adds to the overall length
No substitute for length, so I am told. HAHA. I would try hiring one with a drop down bed and see if you get fed up climbing over one another in the night if you want the toilet etc.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I would suggest either going to loads of dealers in your area or to one of the shows.
Main thing is budget.
Overall length you want/need etc.
Once you've established those two, then there's a few you don't even need to look at.
Once you've got those items sorted, go inside and look at the layout and see if it fits your hopes. There's a lot who say that it's all a compromise but most things in life are a compromise unless you've got the money available so you don't have to compromise.
My Moho isn't for you but I have a drop down bed and I get up in the night (as does Swmbo) and don't disturb one another. Swmbo often stays up later than I do and with the drop down bed, I don't get disturbed by the light she's using to read. However, admittedly, she can't watch tv as the bed blocks her vision.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
No substitute for length, so I am told. HAHA. I would try hiring one with a drop down bed and see if you get fed up climbing over one another in the night if you want the toilet etc.
Apparently, size doesn't matter. However, if there's unlimited space available, then yes but I had a limited space and the extra couple of metres would have meant no Moho at all.
In our Moho, it's not across the van but lengthways so no getting over one another to make a visit or getting up early to make a brew etc.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:rolleyes: Looking into our new adventure, is really exciting and so so so time consuming :ROFLMAO:

After doing some research, we feel that the MH with a rear lounge, separate shower cubicle and a pull down bed sounds the best.
The only van I can think off with a rear lounge and separate shower is the Hymer Duomobile IMO a 100k is a lot of dosh for a van that is only half useable can't even swivel the seats.
Nearly all vans with a separate shower are either twin singles at the rear or island bed at the rear. Twin singles is the most popular layout throughout Europe at the moment & you get a nice big garage, island beds appear to be dying in popularity.
Providing you have decent cab seats either ISRI or Aguti they will be the most comfortable seats in the house and any layout that does not require bed making has got to be the easiest to use.
Our Hymer 678 DL has twin beds a huge garage, seperate shower, separate loo and it's only 7.5m long.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Also it’s not just your drive way that influences length, if you’re island hopping around Scotland the ferry is cheaper for 6m and below. As you say compromise.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Also it’s not just your drive way that influences length, if you’re island hopping around Scotland the ferry is cheaper for 6m and below. As you say compromise.
Are you sure you're from Narfook and not from Scotland?

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
What is your budget? I would work that out first then do a lot of online research followed by trips to dealers.

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
No substitute for length, so I am told. HAHA. I would try hiring one with a drop down bed and see if you get fed up climbing over one another in the night if you want

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We've got a separate shower in our Swift Bolero 680FB, alongside the French bed. Okay it's in the washroom "compartment" but it's still a separate shower, that is, it is fully enclosed when in use - and not by clingy plastic curtains either (I HATE those). French bed means climbing over in nocturnal visits but we've not found it a problem. Nice big lounge too. We love it!

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
Your best bet is to go look at lots of vans, maybe at a few dealers. Layout is probably the most important consideration but don't forget overall size i.e. will it fit your driveway or storage place. Hymer and Frankia are good names but by no means are the only manufacturers, there are a lot more. Similarly don't think A-class are the only body types - you may well find a coach-built, either low-profile or over-cab, or even a PCV would suit you better (although I can't recall a PCV with a drop-down bed). There'll be lots more recommendations along shortly, everybody has their favourite.

To get the most benefit from the forum get a subscription - it'll be the best £15 you will ever spend on motorhoming. You then have access to lots more resources, including Jim's excellent book on buying a motorhome.
Be good to have a drop down bed in a pvc .

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
18966253-2AA8-4BDB-A002-01C5161F21DE.jpeg
I will admit to being biased as I have one, but the Hymer B544 would suit your requirements very adequately. I have attached an internal photo, not mine but gives you an idea. There are long seats on either side, one L shaped so you have plenty of room to lounge when not travelling. I have replaced the very large standard table with a removable one made to my specifications, erected/dismantled in seconds.

There is a large drop down bed over the front seats and the near side seat pulls out to make a large single. The shower is separated within the bathroom by semi circular sliding doors. The SL model is the one to go for, from 2007 as it has underfloor storage. If you want further pictures of the interior of mine let me know.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
La Strada did a version (Nova I think)with a drop down bed in a panel van but I don't think it came down as low as in an A-class. It was only 6m long.

7755ian

Free Member
Dec 23, 2017
Nottingham/Derby border
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K Yacht 80
Exp
We have a Mobilvetta K Yacht 80 2017 it has an electric drop down bed at the rear which allows lounge usage through day Etc..a pull down over the cab, more importantly it comes with what other manufacturers charge extra for, as standard, underfloor heating, heated windscreen, cruise control, bluetooth, hill start, satnav, leather steering wheel, LED lighting, Italian designed, (None better) two flat screen fittings.
Go for an A class if you can, my partner thought all the coachbuilts look as if they were coming out the factory as a council tipper or van and they just dropped a habitation box on the back instead and cut a hole through for the cab access.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
We have a Mobilvetta K Yacht 80 2017 it has an electric drop down bed at the rear which allows lounge usage through day Etc..a pull down over the cab, more importantly it comes with what other manufacturers charge extra for, as standard, underfloor heating, heated windscreen, cruise control, bluetooth, hill start, satnav, leather steering wheel, LED lighting, Italian designed, (None better) two flat screen fittings.
Go for an A class if you can, my partner thought all the coachbuilts look as if they were coming out the factory as a council tipper or van and they just dropped a habitation box on the back instead and cut a hole through for the cab access.
Love the look of it but do both beds need a ladder to get in and out of?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back