No mains electric (1 Viewer)

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Unplugged the van from the mains at home and drove 2 hours to site. Mains now not working. Tried someone else's lead and still nothing so its a fault in the van. The mains trip switches are on so nothing tripped. But no mains. We'll be alright for the weekend on 12v and gas but Dores anyone know of anything else to try?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
In my experience it’s odd for the main inlet of power to go anywhere else than the fuse board / consumer unit first. If it doesn’t then it’s not protecting the supply.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
In your photo it looks like one of the cables to the consumer unit is unplugged.

I agree, but only if the lights are on, on the victron easyplus. It has a switch on the front panel, assuming that hasn't accidently been turned off?

For others, the blue thing is an easyplus.

It's an inverter/charger. The ehu goes direct to it, and it has the input MCB protecting that. I.e. if something goes wrong internally it will trip the 16A. It also has a feed from the batteries.

On the output side of the inverter it has the rcd feeding those 4 other MCB's. One of which will be feeding the original van consumer unit.

It's quite a clever bit of kit that will act as an uninterruptible power supply, automatically switching to making 240V from the batteries if the mains fails.

Another function is that you can set a maximum current draw from EHU of, say, 6A but if you put the kettle on it will get the rest from the battery.

And it charges the batteries...

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
Well the inverter doesn't work.... There's no 230v from any source.

All of the sockets in the van will be fed from the white CU. So if it is that cable that would fit.

The important thing is whether there are any lights on the easyplus.

Screenshot_20210925-144910_Samsung Internet.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
In your photo it looks like one of the cables to the consumer unit is unplugged.
that cable is not connected at either end. I assume he's replaced the original with a heavier cable and just left the original lying there. The connected one is thicker.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I agree, but only if the lights are on, on the victron easyplus. It has a switch on the front panel, assuming that hasn't accidently been turned off?

For others, the blue thing is an easyplus.

It's an inverter/charger. The ehu goes direct to it, and it has the input MCB protecting that. I.e. if something goes wrong internally it will trip the 16A. It also has a feed from the batteries.

On the output side of the inverter it has the rcd feeding those 4 other MCB's. One of which will be feeding the original van consumer unit.

It's quite a clever bit of kit that will act as an uninterruptible power supply, automatically switching to making 240V from the batteries if the mains fails.

Another function is that you can set a maximum current draw from EHU of, say, 6A but if you put the kettle on it will get the rest from the battery.

And it charges the batteries...
Yes it does all that but where it fails is "uninterrupted power supply"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 1
Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
Easyplus is switched on but no lights on it.

Do you have a remote control panel?

I know it sounds weird, but it needs to be set to inverter on for mains to pass through from ehu.

You need to measure voltage on the actual input really.

Upvote 0
Solution

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
For next time... 🙂

You need one of these - a non-contact AC voltage detector. Absolutely invaluable, I can detect AC on any cable in the van, with zero risk of injury, and it's trivial to find out where the AC stops and what's gone wrong.

I've also got one of these - £18, cheap Chinese plug-in socket tester which does seem to work. Not so useful, unless you do your own AC wiring (I do), but an easy way to test sockets (and wiring errors) without carrying around a meter and electrocuting yourself. It also does non-contact AC testing, like the Megger, but not as good, because it doesn't have a probe and you have to wave it around near the cable, and you can't distinguish between cables which are close to each other.

Also interested that there are two consumer units, but there's too many responses here to make any sense of that. If your Victron box actually is an inverter, the CU has to be on the output side, not the EHU side, because it also has to protect when the inverter is driven from the battery. I'm guessing that the last owner also put a CU on the input side, connected directly to the EHU, though I can't see the sense in that. The Victron will just have a relay that connects the AC in to the AC out. If it does battery charging as well, maybe the last owner thought the charger should be protected. I don't think that's necessary, but maybe an actual electrician here has an opinion.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Do you have a remote control panel?

I know it sounds weird, but it needs to be set to inverter on for mains to pass through from ehu.

You need to measure voltage on the actual input really.
Yes. The remote's set to charger only. Only change to inverter when inverting as it uses a few Watts but it's not in the off position.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
For next time... 🙂

You need one of these - a non-contact AC voltage detector. Absolutely invaluable, I can detect AC on any cable in the van, with zero risk of injury, and it's trivial to find out where the AC stops and what's gone wrong.

I've also got one of these - £18, cheap Chinese plug-in socket tester which does seem to work. Not so useful, unless you do your own AC wiring (I do), but an easy way to test sockets (and wiring errors) without carrying around a meter and electrocuting yourself. It also does non-contact AC testing, like the Megger, but not as good, because it doesn't have a probe and you have to wave it around near the cable, and you can't distinguish between cables which are close to each other.

Also interested that there are two consumer units, but there's too many responses here to make any sense of that. If your Victron box actually is an inverter, the CU has to be on the output side, not the EHU side, because it also has to protect when the inverter is driven from the battery. I'm guessing that the last owner also put a CU on the input side, connected directly to the EHU, though I can't see the sense in that. The Victron will just have a relay that connects the AC in to the AC out. If it does battery charging as well, maybe the last owner thought the charger should be protected. I don't think that's necessary, but maybe an actual electrician here has an opinion.
Ehu goes straight into victron and a cable from there to other C. U.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
For next time... 🙂

I've also got one of these
I either use a megger or just a terminal drive tester.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
St3v3 Don't know if this means anything but when I throw this switch either on or off I get a momentary light-up of all three lights accompanied by a relay clicking as they go on. Then straight off again. And that's without the ehu plugged in.
20210925_183320.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Following trying the inverter, tried the mains hook up again and the mains has come on. I don't know whether the load of an electric kettle on the unit has kick started something, say like a stuck relay. Honestly don't know what I'm talking about here but glad to have full power again for the moment at least.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
It could be the battery is really low. Leave ehu on, and the easyplus on and see how it goes.

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Following trying the inverter, tried the mains hook up again and the mains has come on. I don't know whether the load of an electric kettle on the unit has kick started something, say like a stuck relay. Honestly don't know what I'm talking about here but glad to have full power again for the moment at least.
Congratulations on your perseverance, how chuffed and relieved you must be.....

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back