Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
@Enword
Just thought I would get my own back.:)
Three test pieces I had to make in my first year at Reavells apprentice training centre in 66

This is the first, and was fairly straightforward, file a lump of metal flat to dimension, shape and bend the bracket and bolt and rivet them together.
IMG_20170227_124507.jpg
IMG_20170227_124512.jpg

Second piece, shape it and then file the loose part to fit both ways around with no more than 1 1/2 thou tolerance all round.

IMG_20170227_124603.jpg
IMG_20170227_124708.jpg

Now this was the the hard one. You were given a block of steel, which had to be reduced in thickness by about a 1/4", thats across the face not the sides, only way is by hacksaw, this taught you to hacksaw straight, well after you had thrown a few in the bin you got the hang of it.:)

Next you drilled a hole and reamed it for the dowel pin, now you had to cut a piece off the block and form a crenellation, which again had to fit both ways with a 1 1/2 thou tolerance. Finally you chiseled the "X" on the front.

IMG_20170227_124831.jpg
IMG_20170227_124956.jpg

IMG_20170227_125250.jpg

We weren't allowed emery paper, all finishes had to be done with a file and chalk. Could I make them today? 1 and 2 yes, 3 not a chance.:D

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
There is a military museum in one of the rooms at the place de Seville, they show some test pieces from the armourments college apprentices.

Well worth a visit.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
That is very impressive @olley skill & patience needed, some of my mates went into engineering & had to do similar, I was glad I went down the welding route lots easier for a dumb ass like me.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
That is very impressive @olley skill & patience needed, some of my mates went into engineering & had to do similar, I was glad I went down the welding route lots easier for a dumb ass like me.

It is, isn't. :LOL:
Truthfully it isn't that impressive, anyone can do it, if they are trained properly, Reavells took in 10 apprentices a year, so theirs a whole stack of guys out there with the same test pieces. :)
I suppose a CNC machine could make the third one in 10 mins, to a 1/10 of a thou. Rather than the week or two I took.:(

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
AFter the previous thread on apprentices I was wracking my brain where my test pieces went. I did an electrical apprenticeship, 1 year fulltime at college with a day release for my ONC in electronics. The 1 year course included, Bench fitting, machining, sheet metal fabrication, welding and the usual electricians stuff. At the time I thought it was pointless. But those basic skill we learned have proven to be useful over the years.

My test pieces were a plumb bob made on the lathe, a double headed spanner which had to be made with a hack saw, file and pillar drill nothing else and a really strange bracket thing which had case hardened parts, brazed and riveted parts and more that I honestly can't remember now.. The sheet metal fabrication section we had to make biscuit tin including the rolled lid etc. For the welding we had 6 mini projects, 2 for gas welding, 2 for arc and 2 for mig. I remember one of the gas ones becuase I was proud of it. We had to weld a pipe to another pipe in a T joint. Took me ages to get that right but boy was I proud of myself when I finally go it right.

Love your projects @olley (y)(y)

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
That brought back memories for me (not good ones). I had to go to head office in Sheffield every year for my filing and fitting exam 1966 on, passed but hated every second of it as they weren't friendly towards branch apprentices. I vowed to never go to Sheffield again and managed it for 22 years until a job change made visits a requirement again.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
After the test pieces we had to make our tools for the rest of the year gromett, a quick look in my tool box brings up a few I have left after 40 years, the tap wrenches and tool makers clamps were in sets of three, BA spanners I think about six. I also still have a scribing block and hacksaw.

IMG_20170227_125518.jpg

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
AFter the previous thread on apprentices I was wracking my brain where my test pieces went. I did an electrical apprenticeship, 1 year fulltime at college with a day release for my ONC in electronics. The 1 year course included, Bench fitting, machining, sheet metal fabrication, welding and the usual electricians stuff. At the time I thought it was pointless. But those basic skill we learned have proven to be useful over the years.

My test pieces were a plumb bob made on the lathe, a double headed spanner which had to be made with a hack saw, file and pillar drill nothing else and a really strange bracket thing which had case hardened parts, brazed and riveted parts and more that I honestly can't remember now.. The sheet metal fabrication section we had to make biscuit tin including the rolled lid etc. For the welding we had 6 mini projects, 2 for gas welding, 2 for arc and 2 for mig. I remember one of the gas ones becuase I was proud of it. We had to weld a pipe to another pipe in a T joint. Took me ages to get that right but boy was I proud of myself when I finally go it right.

Love your projects @olley (y)(y)
your Apprenticeship was almost the same as mine except i did the C+G technician

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I think @Gromett must have been to a similar company as me. I went to EMI, supposedly to do electronics, but the first year in the training school was nearly all mechanical engineering. We had to make the plum bob, the spanner, the rolled edged tin plus an 'toolmakers clamp' that still sits (unused) in my toolbox.

We didn't do welding though but did a whole load of chassis construction (affectionately known as chassis bashing!) despite that fact that most electronics by the late 60's had moved to circuit boards and semi-conductors.

Totally agree that the skills learned have served me well for life.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
How times change

They made compressore then and riveting was still thought to be a relevant skill in 1966? amazing

At that same time I was serving my apprenticeship as an electrician. We were made to practise 'cleat' wiring although you do still see it in the likes of India, it was no use to me. And using VIRCC cable although PVC was even at that time the only cable you could buy.
Old school teachers I guess.
My son wanted to be a draughts man and did his work experience in an architect's office. Six months later he had a job with them and arrived the first morning with his special pencils and drawing outfit only to be told they were moving over to CAD. He has never ever done a drawing on a drawing board to this day.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I think @Gromett must have been to a similar company as me. I went to EMI, supposedly to do electronics, but the first year in the training school was nearly all mechanical engineering.
I worked for the DoE as a Greenman. Basically we did all the electrics and electronics on site. This included domestic electrical for the staff quarters, Industrial electrics and electronics for the Generator/PowerStation/battery backup and sewerage works. Commercial work in the Kitchen, Cinema and Leisure centre (swimming pool etc). We also did vehicle electrics on diggers and dump trucks plus much much more. Oh and armoured cabling, pyro etc etc. Street lights plus more. I honestly couldn't imagine a better apprenticeship. I am just disappointed with myself that I didn't appreciate it at the time what I had.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
No pictures ,but the post reminds me of the workshop projects during my merchant navy apprenticeship. ..
The usual center punches and test pieces as above to test your filing accuracy..
I seem to remember that the most useful item we had to make was a scissor jack...
Andy.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Old school teachers I guess.
Not necessarily, even in the 70's before the training boards were abolished, we, as young entrants to FE teaching, were trying to get C&G and TEC's to update the skills used in the, then, modern workplace.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Wot wuz that?

Were did you finish up eventually?

I've always been amazed where your basic training leads during a life time.
I eventually had a company servicing the Dental profession - of all things

Greenman is the nickname given to the property management services and we worked for the PSA (property servicing agency) / DoE (Dept of the Environment as it was called previously) We did all the maintenance for Hospitals, Prisons, Air force bases etc. We had electricians, Pipefitters, Plumbers, Joiners etc etc. It is now all out sourced to private sector companies.

I then did various things, TV and Video servicing, Pig farm...... But finally moved my hobby into my career. Went to work at a Computer Games Dev House. Then onto a PC building company, then a Video conferencing company and finally set up my own hosting and network company. Now I am a freelance server admin and security consultant. Starting to get back into software development at the moment. Currently got a nice contract with a Canadian company writing a full business automation system (y) Loving it.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
So not much point is that apprenticeship was there then?

But an experience you never forget. It sets you up for life simply by giving you the confidence to tackle any thing.
Many kids today would definitely benefit from it, instead of going to university to do a degree in sociology or some such

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
PS: For all you mech/tech/elec types. There is a Candian Youtuber called AvE who does some fantastic videos.
He is funny, educational and entertaining. His mangling of multiple languages will either have you scratching your head or laughing your tits off.

He is a mining contractor from what I can make out. He goes all over the world fixing hyrdaulics and other mining gear.

In his home workshop he partakes in what he calls Bumblefuckery. He messes about, strips stuff down to see how it is made, experiments with stuff, lets the smoke out, blows stuff up, makes interesting projects. He does electrical, mechanical, electronics including arduino and much more.

Well worth spending a bit of time. Stick with him if your first vid or two doesn't catch your interest.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChWv6Pn_zP0rI6lgGt3MyfA

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
So not much point is that apprenticeship was there then?

But an experience you never forget. It sets you up for life simply by giving you the confidence to tackle any thing.
Many kids today would definitely benefit from it, instead of going to university to do a degree in sociology or some such

To be honest that apprenticeship set me for life. The electronics I learned included microprocessor theory, how transistor work down to the electron level etc. The mechanical stuff while not useful directly has given me a very useful fault finding mindset. The broadness of it meant I was never going to use all of it in my career but I loved it.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Been watching him for about a year now Grom, very interesting and entertaining, liked the friction drilling vid especially.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Been watching him for about a year now Grom, very interesting and entertaining, liked the friction drilling vid especially.
Been following him for about 6 months. My favourite youtuber (y)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
That was probably the most demoralising part of my apprenticeship at least half the things we had to do at college were outdated or irrelevant to the trade as it was then. we had to make front and back gutters in four materials lead ,copper, aluminum and nuralite by this time roofing had really split of as a separate trade and i've used very little of that in my working career
where as we did no electrical and very basic gas at all which was really the thing to know at the time as the heating industry was booming
i think most training always lags behind unless its in house

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
There's nowt wrong wi Sheff owd luv.

Who did you work for?
Granted it is better than it used to be and I now have family connections there, still don't like the place though.

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
There is a Candian Youtuber called AvE who does some fantastic videos.
I also have been watching him for ages. Absolutely excellent. If you appreciate his skills and knowledge, there are a couple of people I recommend:

Keith Fenner (Turn Wright Machine Works - not JUST lathe work, but watching him turn stuff is cathartic!)
https://www.youtube.com/user/KEF791/videos

SV Seeker - Doug Jackson has been building, from scratch, a 75' steel junk motor sailer. Building that and a Remotely Operated Vehicle to go along with it. He has previously built a submarine. He also seems to have built most of the tools and technology he uses as well. An absolute inspiration, all the more so because his day job is as an Oracle Engineer!
https://www.youtube.com/user/submarineboat/videos

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
When I was doing my apprenticeship in an electrical engineering company in Glasgow in the late 70's, I remember being sent to the stores for 3 items:-
- a left handed screwdriver
- a glass hammer
- a long wait...

I was also told to strip out all the copper from the rotor of an electrical motor...I was quite pleased with the result until it was pointed out I had just stripped out the copper from a brand new rotor... Oops!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
SV Seeker - Doug Jackson has been building, from scratch, a 75' steel junk motor sailer. Building that and a Remotely Operated Vehicle to go along with it. He has previously built a submarine. He also seems to have built most of the tools and technology he uses as well. An absolute inspiration, all the more so because his day job is as an Oracle Engineer!
https://www.youtube.com/user/submarineboat/videos
I have been watching him as well. I am looking forward to seeing him getting that massive chunk of steel on to a truck and moving it to the sea....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back