No longer steaming up the van (1 Viewer)

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Last time we were away 'er indoors decided to do some of that fancy steaming cooking, but oh my lord under the shelf above the rings was dripping wet and the cupboards above were full of damp and steam. It seems the extractor fan blew into a silly little box shaped (roughly) affair that simply covered over the outside vent. Trusty saw in hand I took a 100mm 90° bend, maybe 87° to be exact, and cut it to fit between the extractor fan and the outside vent. Advantage thrice fold 1. quieter 2. no more steam in the cupboards or under the shelf as the air flow is now more laminar and effective and 3. and most important, 'er indoors is chuffed and thinks I've done a sterling job, another beer for me I thinks

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sound like someone didn't bother fitting it properly in the first place!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
Sorry guys n galls out playing in Strasbourg at the moment back home Tuesday will take photos of the PQ mod. @Minxy Girl that's how Laika fit 'em and in my opinion it aint good when taking into account the original cost of one of these beasts and that my mod added maybe 5euros (retail) and maybe 100/150gramms.

Phil

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sorry guys n galls out playing in Strasbourg at the moment back home Tuesday will take photos of the PQ mod. @Minxy Girl that's how Laika fit 'em and in my opinion it aint good when taking into account the original cost of one of these beasts and that my mod added maybe 5euros (retail) and maybe 100/150gramms.

Phil
Which begs the question as to why they bother at all then ... seems a stupid 'economy measure' to me.

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
extract 1.jpg

This is what Laika call an extractor housing
extract 2.jpg

Take it off and there is the extractor fan and the exit with nothing between to direct the airflow.
extract 3.jpg

Slightly different angle to show the positions of the two parts. Mucky init, as found when first opened.
extract 3a.jpg

Inside of the fan housing
extract 3b.jpg

Another piccy of the inside of the fan housing, imagine the turbulence inside here also creating noise, I HATE noise, unless of course it is ME making it, then it's not noise it's a craftsmans music.
extract 4.jpg

This is my cut down version of the this from bricodepot for the princely sum of 3.20 euros.
https://www.bricodepot.fr/saintes-s...vitaire-des-eaux-usees-et-pluviales/prod7847/
extract 5.jpg

Then I filled the housing with fibreglass or any other insulating or noise reducing stuff you can find. Remember fibreglass irritates ... but a bit in the knickers of 'er indoors might be funny.

All screwed back together and now the extracted air finds its way to the exit without chasing around the housing looking for a way out. Cos the housing is not hermetically sealed to the van body work then the extracted air can escape into the cupboards taking with it the steam and nastiness you first tried to put outside, NOT NOW . The conversion cost less than 4 euros, took about 1 hour including measuring, and measuring again and measuring yet again because she asked me a bloody question and I forgot the measurements and finally cutting. I added the fibreglass firstly to cut noise and also as an extra thermal barrier to reduce/stop condensation around the pipe. This concludes this episode of the PQ guide to bodging an extractor.

@Minxy Girl you've got to forgive them, they are only engineers ... it takes a real time served bodger to come up with solutions like this.

@RogerThat @Lenny HB photos and destructions as promised.

Phil

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
@RogerThat Thank you, as I mentioned to @Minxy Girl it takes a time served bodger to come up with solutions like that. A mere engineer or designer wouldn't have a clue, they would want to design the bent bit of piping from start, cost of development, research, tooling etc etc would run into £millions not just the 3.20e for the likes of me and thee:LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back