No ignition / spark for 2003 domestic fridge (1 Viewer)

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
Bit of a long shot I appreciate but does anyone know if there is a dedicated fuse for the sparker that ignites a dometic fridge while on gas?

Today it was clicking away merrily when I turned the knob to the gas setting then all of a sudden stopped. I need to do more research and have a look at the manuals but just a long shot in case anyone has come across this before. Could it be a symptom of a gas problem?

TIA
Cush

OP
OP
Cush
Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Update. Fridge ignition is on the same circuit as ultrastore and job ignition, both of which are working.
is is common place or not unknown for the ignition units to fail?

Cush

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Depending on which fridge you have it may have a battery ignition, find the model number and google the instructions, all the ones I have had used a battery.

Have a look at this.

OP
OP
Cush
Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Dometic not domestic. Sorry.

RM6270 👍👍

Last edited:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Mine was a blocked jet last time....I sorted it in 20 minutes on a freezing February morning...Fuse wire did the job..

OP
OP
Cush
Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp

Thanks The Ex-Gasman

before I’d realized that you had posted that helpful video I edited my post with the fridge model details. A little older than yours I’m afraid. When the gas is selected the igniter starts automatically. Unfortunately not in my case. Hope it’s an easy fix for a hab inspector.
thanks again,
Cush

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Blocked jet will not stop the spark however any soot can short out the spark. First thing to test is the 12 volt supply to the ignition switch and then the ignition generator. Then can you can see the burner through the lower fridge vent? If so with someone pushing the ignition, can you see a spark on the cable going to the ignition electrode, is the burner assembly clear of soot and anything else.
Good luck.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
jumar. Did the blocked jet stop it sparking?
No...it sparked away for about a minute...but as there was no gas getting through it didn't Ignite...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Cush
Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
So a little update. Back up at the van today. Turned on 12 v and fridge sparking strongly.

Turned all off and drove outside the barn. Still sparking but less frequently and more quietly. Managed to light the gas though and heat from the flue. Let it run for about 10 minutes.

Turned all off and only an occasional spark. Now, trying again and no spark.

Pleasure batteries are healthy charge and getting more from the solar. 🤔

Cush

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
So a little update. Back up at the van today. Turned on 12 v and fridge sparking strongly.

Turned all off and drove outside the barn. Still sparking but less frequently and more quietly. Managed to light the gas though and heat from the flue. Let it run for about 10 minutes.

Cush
I suspect a faulty/failing ignition generator, not much else could cause a slow spark and be intermittent.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984

Cush
I suspect a faulty/failing ignition generator, not much else could cause a slow spark and be intermittent.

Jan 2, 2023
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 684FB
Exp
Since 1998
The ht lead to the spark electrodes can cause this problem it may be that it’s insulation has broken down or possibly damp causing the spark to find an easier Earth

OP
OP
Cush
Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
The ht lead to the spark electrodes can cause this problem it may be that it’s insulation has broken down or possibly damp causing the spark to find an easier Earth
Thanks Kelvin8tor would that have the periodic / spasmodic impact I’m experiencing?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back