Apr 19, 2021
Liverpool, UK
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
Since 2016
Hi all,
just been on our first trip out, before we left I always do a check on Tyres,engine oil,water etc
then check the heating and water in the van, when it came to checking the water/ pump, the pump
had failed ( not even powering up) I ended up fitting a whale pump from the local Go Outdoors (last one they had )
the original pump was a reich 15l/ min. 1bar the whale pump is a 19l/ min.
Got it all working, but when we arrived on site I put the hot water on the Truma system on and waited for a while then
opened the hot water tap, it spluttered for a bit while forcing all the air out, left the hot tap open for what seemed to be ages
....no hot water, the heating worked fine though.
Also noticed that the toilet flush wasn’t as powerful as previous,but the cold water pressure seemed fine. I’m thinking that
the new whale pump isn’t holding pressure for the hot water tank and the water is running back into the water tank.
Any ideas please.
regards Steve

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Did the old pump have a non-return valve, has the new pump got one?

OP
OP
B

burstner t660

Free Member
Apr 19, 2021
Liverpool, UK
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
Since 2016
Not sure, but I’ve ordered one exactly the same as the original one, but my thoughts are pointing to the whale pump only because it doesn’t specify any bar symbol on it and the original reich pump does, thanks for your reply.
Regards
Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
One way valves are an option because whilst essential on a pressure switched system they are not required on a microswitched one. Your Whale pump will be fine if you add a one way valve.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Have you closed the Truma auto dump valve?

Have you closed any tap draining valves?

Does water flow ok to cold taps?

OP
OP
B

burstner t660

Free Member
Apr 19, 2021
Liverpool, UK
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
Since 2016
One way valves are an option because whilst essential on a pressure switched system they are not required on a microswitched one. Your Whale pump will be fine if you add a one way valve.
Thanks, think I’ll wait for new pump, think the hot water tank is draining back into the water tank because every time I open the hot water tap it’s full of air.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Thanks, think I’ll wait for new pump, think the hot water tank is draining back into the water tank because every time I open the hot water tap it’s full of air.
I don't think water will be draining back and, even if it was, a new pump won't solve that.
Has water even reached a hot water outlet?
My guess is that the non return valve to your boiler is stuck in the closed position and no water is getting into it at all (although I'm not sure how you get 'spluttering'). A new (stronger) pump might clear it, else remove and release or replace the NRV.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Have you opened hot taps without heating to make sure you pushed all the air out of the hot water tank?

OP
OP
B

burstner t660

Free Member
Apr 19, 2021
Liverpool, UK
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
Since 2016
I don't think water will be draining back and, even if it was, a new pump won't solve that.
Has water even reached a hot water outlet?
My guess is that the non return valve to your boiler is stuck in the closed position and no water is getting into it at all (although I'm not sure how you get 'spluttering'). A new (stronger) pump might clear it, else remove and release or replace the NRV.
Thanks for your reply, will try that.
regards
Steve

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, Steve.
(Doesn't usually help much, but there's always a first time.)
Best of luck!

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I think that you need to join the gang it will be the best £15 you will ever spend

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back