No hose at cassette emptying point? (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2014
Herts
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 560L
Exp
Since 2014, changed our MH 4 years ago
Just stayed at Miranda do Douro camping. New facilities but no hot water for showers. Several campers including me could not spot the chemical toilet disposal point. A Dutchman told me he had used the ordinary toilet in the shower block. The manager pointed it out to me on the MH service point. Brand new and a lovely push button to clean the chute under the hatch. No hose to rinse cassette and I saw several people use the fresh (only) hose. Is this the new norm?

Attachments

• 1C95FA95-5C89-483C-A203-24A52A7AF2EB.jpeg
    1C95FA95-5C89-483C-A203-24A52A7AF2EB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 152
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Ugh! When we were camping at Le Mans 24 hour race this year someone emptied his cassette in the portaloo. He then went to the drinking water tap to wash it out. He stuck the tap right inside the cassette spout. I had been using that tap for drinking water, as was everyone else - including him!

Now we always uses disinfectant on the tap before we use it -just in case.

Particulary here in Italy where you generally put you black waste down the grey water dump.

It is possible to wash out the cassette keeping it a foot away from the tap.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
cb_stalbans
Jan 27, 2014
Herts
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 560L
Exp
Since 2014, changed our MH 4 years ago
So it does sound as if new service points are going this way

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
We carry a small 1 litre plastic bottle that I fill with water from the fresh water tap and use it to finse the cassette out to get rid of any hangers on! When emptying don't forget to press the vent button, it reduces sploshing aa the cassette empties.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Ugh! When we were camping at Le Mans 24 hour race this year someone emptied his cassette in the portaloo. He then went to the drinking water tap to wash it out. He stuck the tap right inside the cassette spout. I had been using that tap for drinking water, as was everyone else - including him!

Now we always uses disinfectant on the tap before we use it -just in case.

Particulary here in Italy where you generally put you black waste down the grey water dump.

It is possible to wash out the cassette keeping it a foot away from the tap.
Even if you wash out the cassette from a foot away from the tap you are still contaminating the area around the tap. Just use an empty bottle and fill that up to rinse with. (y)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I always rinse out the cassette after emptying but would never use the fresh water tap.
I disconnect the hose that is on the fresh water tap anyway and give the tap a wipe as there’s always some Burke who selfishly sticks it where they shouldn’t.
Looking at the photo of the design, it makes you wonder if the person designing it has ever been camping or motorhoming?
If it’s on a site, you’d think that the site manager would put a sign up reminding people what not to do.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Looking at the photo and the fact that there is no tap on the emptying post, is it in fact the tap for the emptying? And other fresh taps are elsewhere?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Looking at the photo and the fact that there is no tap on the emptying post, is it in fact the tap for the emptying? And other fresh taps are elsewhere?
If so then the hose length suggests some people have massive cassettes! 😄

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Perhaps the only piece of hose they had so left it, I don't know any different than you, just a suggestion, that's all.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Frome looking at the photos it a drive over point so putting the casete over the road grid a swilling from a distance would not be a problem I always carry a spare hose and various fittings for whatever occurs
I try not to use hose's that are on any filli up point you never know what dirty basterds had it in ther black tank or cassette
Bill

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think the hose is that length for swilling down around the ground level dump point after servicing black and grey tanks. I would not assume that to be drinking water, and if it is I could guarantee where it has been :ROFLMAO:

The site information says;

• Tap at/near the pitch (max. 50 m)

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
That was my thought.

Deleted User
I think this is exactly as the op believes (fresh potable water and grey/black waste next to each other, which invites the morons amongst the residents to do what he/she describes).

Clearly a site owner who hasn't bothered to find out the requirements of motorhomers/caravaners [aka their customers], or they do not give a toss!

I don't stay long on campsites that treat their customers like this.

ps. with rare exception, I always rinse my cassette (with non fresh water fill hoses).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back