no gas (1 Viewer)

the broons

Free Member
Feb 6, 2008
Funster No
help put our swift suntor to bed last sunday.tried the gas appliances today only to discover we are not getting gas through.the motorhome is fitted with a truma gauge could this be the problem. ps plenty gas in the bottle.:helpsos:

OP
OP
T

the broons

Free Member
Feb 6, 2008
Funster No
Hi Don thanks for your reply but it is propane we are using.I seem to remember reading that there is a problem with the truma fixed gauges.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Daft question (not being cheeky, used to work in IT support).

You haven't inadvertently screwed the bottle top valve closed rather than open have you?

Graham

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
1.Turn off gas fully at bottle
2,disconnect reg from bottle turn gas on --------no gas---replace empty gas bottle
3.got gas---turn back off --re connect regulator and disconnect pipe into motor home from reg
4.turn on gas ---no gas --replace regulator
5. got gas--- re turn gas off---re fit pipes to motor home turn gas on
6 inside motor home locate and check all supply taps are on (located in cupboard)
7if all on you should have gas to all appliances if off--- turn on
8. remove pipework from one side of tap check for gas
All of the above is assuming you are competent to carry out the checks suggested and can carry out a gas soundness check after each joint is broken and re fitted
A simple process of elimination
Working with gas is dangerous
Geo

OP
OP
T

the broons

Free Member
Feb 6, 2008
Funster No
Sorted

Thanks all for your suggestions.We have now sorted the problem,after replacing the fixed gauge with an ordinary propane regulator we now have gas to our appliances.We have spoken to a local caravan fitter who confirmed that the Truma fixed gauge has a common fault with oiling up inside therefore requiring the gauge be replaced.TRUMA are aware of this fault but as yet have not solved the problem.Thanks again.:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The problem is a well known and documented fault
The fix likewise
Make sure the new reg is positioned higher than the gas outlet on the bottles.
Geo

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1.Turn off gas fully at bottle
2,disconnect reg from bottle turn gas on --------no gas---replace empty gas bottle
3.got gas---turn back off --re connect regulator and disconnect pipe into motor home from reg
4.turn on gas ---no gas --replace regulator
5. got gas--- re turn gas off---re fit pipes to motor home turn gas on
6 inside motor home locate and check all supply taps are on (located in cupboard)
7if all on you should have gas to all appliances if off--- turn on
8. remove pipework from one side of tap check for gas
All of the above is assuming you are competent to carry out the checks suggested and can carry out a gas soundness check after each joint is broken and re fitted
A simple process of elimination
Working with gas is dangerous
Geo

Just shows that FUN is the place to get the right info straight from the 'horses' mouth unlike some.

Lindy and Geo are the stars. :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Glad you got it sorted.

The problem is a well known and documented fault
The fix likewise
Make sure the new reg is positioned higher than the gas outlet on the bottles.
Geo

Another thing you might consider is to replace the rubber hose which connects the bottle to the regulator with one of the stainless steel ones from Gaslow. From what I've read it is plasticisers from the hose which cause the problem; also they should be replaced every 5 years.

Our van is 4 years old and we haven't had any bother but I decided to replace the hose anyway, just in case, when I saw a discount offer in Practical Motorhome.

Another advantage is that the connection to the bottle on the Gaslow hose has a built in hand wheel so you don't have to use a spanner - which was very awkward in our gas locker. Previously I had to switch the bottles around when changing from one to the other but now I just need to unscrew from the empty and onto the full bottle - very useful in the rain at Newark last week :Smile:

Graham

Graham

P

PatM

Deleted User
Truma Gas regulator- B Holiday May 09

Do you know, I must be the only thicko in the Motorcaravan community that didn’t know about this- but I do now! Arriving at Sheepcote at w/end and wife not being able to light oven to do pizza + bad news. Attempted to change cylinder (again) and v nice Warden warned me that the cyl wasn’t empty (which means the other probably wasn’t that I changed last month...) I phoned around Saturday morning , Peacehaven, Johns Cross, to no avail- its wonderful when everyone knows about the problem and what you need- but haven’t got any in stock. Calor were helpful (at Shoreham Depot) but were unaware of the issue. So- I disconnected the regulator to 'shake out' this oily liquid that everyone was advising me about- and not a sign of it- Connected it all back up and still no flame. Dismantled it, filled it with good old WD40 (which is know to dissolve oil) and hey-presto, after a thorough drying- all working again.
I managed to source a regulator from Lee Davey - which has the 90 degree bend and will permit it to be mounted higher that the output of the propane- which meant some cutting of the bottle-box and careful manipulation of the 8mm copper feed to the 'van.
So, I’ve sourced a 90 degree elbow for the old regulator- which I cleaned out again- this time using my workshop facilities, air compressor etc and I shall keep it as a spare-
The point of all this- had I been (God forbid) 'abroad'- I would have been in deep doo doo. Why didn’t the manufacturers do a recall? It’s obvious after a few thousand failures that there was a design issue?
One closing comment, to pick up on what another correspondent writes- working with Gas is dangerous- you are supposed to be Corgi registered. But having seen some of the Corgi installations. I rest my case- it’s an age thing...

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
The regulations only require you to be competent to work on your own gas.
There appears to be no definition of competent.

They require the kit you worked on to for profit to be inspected by a Corgi registered engineer before they are commissioned.

The stuff about only Corgi registered people can work on gas installations is a profitable myth.

Your insurance company may want a current Corgi Certificate on your motorhome.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
I believe Truma have not done a recall on their regulators as they have put the problem down to 'dirty' LPG.

Liz14

Free Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
overcab
Exp
2 years
help put our swift suntor to bed last sunday.tried the gas appliances today only to discover we are not getting gas through.the motorhome is fitted with a truma gauge could this be the problem. ps plenty gas in the bottle.:helpsos:

Hi,

We have had same problem three times....have just bought gaslow s/s hose and regulator
will let you know if this sol:thumb:ves the problem...Gaslow guarantees it will with a 5 year warrenty.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back