No gas supply to fridge burner pilot

Discussion in 'Fridges & Ovens' started by Mrmagpie1000, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Mrmagpie1000

Mrmagpie1000 Funster

Ratings:
    +9
    Afternoon!

Scratchy head conundrum time. Recently purchased a very nice McLouis Ducato based 4 berth (2003). I made sure everything worked, including the fridge on gas. It took a minute or so for the pilot to light but all was well and good. It works fine on hook up and solar (although obviously not as cold)

It's been sat around for a week or so and I've just changed over to a new gas bottle. The issue now is the fridge pilot won't light. It's an electrolux RM6361. I've done the simple things first and stripped and cleaned the pilot which was a bit coked up, and cleaned the jet. I've got a good clean spark. However I don't have gas coming into the feed pipe into the burner. I've had the top vent off to see if the feed was a T from the main gas pipe but it doesn't appear to be so.

Where does the burner feed come from? Is it hidden at the back of the fridge? I've had a good look at getting it out but short of dismantling the rear kitchen cupboard and scraping away a load of expanding foam wedging the side of the fridge in place against the partition I'm struggling!

I'm a fairly competent tinkerer and I'm happy to have a go at anything. Has anyone experienced any similair issues? I'm wondering if 14 years of corrosion has blocked the pipe. I've run a flexible rod as far as i can (bass guitar string) and the inside of the pipe runs free as far as i can go. There appeared to be a faintly tacky clear substance in the pipe although only a small amount.

Many thanks o_O

Guy

2. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

Ratings:
    +5,183
    Maybe silly question, but have you turned on the new gas bottle after changing it?
    Is the hob receiving gas ok?
    You may need to run a bit through the hob to get air out.
    Hope you get it sorted.

3. Mrmagpie1000

Mrmagpie1000 Funster

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi

I've ran the hob and the heating boiler on the new bottle so far with no issues. However the fridge was running on the old bottle which was at the very bottom. Is there a way of purging the fridge through in case it has a lock of some description?

Thanks!:)

Guy

4. namwaldog

namwaldog Funster

Ratings:
    +2,442
    Have you tried at different locations? The reason I ask is that our last motorhome had to be fairly level for the gas to flow to the fridge.
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that if the MH is on a slope of greater than 10(?) degrees from level there is an auto cutoff mechanism on them.
    Probably spouting a load of tosh here!!:whistle::whistle:

5. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Ratings:
    +25,038
    The 'pilot' light is the 'burner' . Try loosening off the pipe to the jet to check gas is coming out when you hold in the override button until sensor keeps gas on. when you removed the gas pipe to the burner did you clean & replace the perforated jet that sits on end of pipe & did it actually sit back correctly as it is easily dropped. Done it myself. luckily I spotted it

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Mrmagpie1000

Mrmagpie1000 Funster

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi

There seems to be no supply at all to the pipe feeding the burner. When i took it apart (nut, pipe, jet) i checked the feed from the pipe with nothing attached to it (raw feed, for want of a better word) and no gas was coming out. The fridge pilot spark was sparking but there's nowt to ignite. That's my scratchy head issue. The gas feed to the fridge is fine and i can't see an over ride button as such that would start the gas flowing if you get my meaning

Thanks

Guy

7. Mrmagpie1000

Mrmagpie1000 Funster

Ratings:
    +9
    ........And I'll try a different level tomorrow! Although our drive is pretty level it's not exactly board flat.......

Thanks

Guy

8. Mrmagpie1000

Mrmagpie1000 Funster

Ratings:
    +9
    Dodgy thermocouple? Thus preventing the system releasing gas to the burner?

Anyone experienced this issue?

(Sitting with a beer after unpacking and storing Mrs. K's motorhome kit bonanza.......including.....a plastic fruitbowl :sneaky:)

Cheers

Guy

• Like it Like it x 1
  9. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Ratings:
    +7,864
    Level has nothing to do with gas supply - it affects the flow of the refrigerant. A failed thermocouple cannot affect initial lighting of the fridge - it's over-ridden by holding the knob in. If it fails the flame goes out once you release the knob. You need to check that gas is getting to the fridge inlet pipe as a first step. You haven't by any chance turned off the service valve?

10. Mrmagpie1000

Mrmagpie1000 Funster

Ratings:
    +9
    Service valve is in the open position. All valves are in line and correct. Gas isn't being released to the burner somewhere. Ignition is an auto switch. There's no physical press and release like there is on the gas heater. I'd expect a decent flow of gas from the pipe but there's nowt.

Many thanks for hanging in there with my probably irritating questions people.

Much love.

Guy

• Like it Like it x 1
  11. The gasman

The gasman Funster

Ratings:
    +266
    Does the fridge have a reset? Have you checked the instructions? Web site? If it doesn't have a button then it will be electric and may require a reset.

12. Mrmagpie1000

Mrmagpie1000 Funster

Ratings:
    +9
    Many thanks for responses so far!

I shall dig through my paperwork in a bit.

Cheers

Guy

13. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

Ratings:
    +5,183
    Do post make and model of the fridge when you find the paperwork. It can help if other funsters have the same model. My previous camper was 2002 so maybe similar but I had to hold the button pressed in to keep gas flowing until thermocouple kept flow open.

• Like it Like it x 1
  14. Mrmagpie1000

Mrmagpie1000 Funster

Ratings:
    +9
    Ladies and Gentlemen

I am an idiot who is beyond redemption.

Sorted.

I have indeed dug the instructions out and, after doing a very un-manly thing (reading them correctly) i found that i could have saved myself an hours fiddling.

Still. I have cleaned the burner. And learnt where stuff goes. And found a cubby hole to store the fruit bowl.

Thank you for your patience. I will be in the corner with the D cap firmly 'pon my head.

First evening out tomorrow. With cold beer on board.

Many thanks all

Guy x

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Love it Love it x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  15. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

Ratings:
    +5,183
    Go on then, what was it?:D

• Love it Love it x 1
  16. Mrmagpie1000

Mrmagpie1000 Funster

Ratings:
    +9
    Er.

The instructions. Ahem. Push and HOLD the button. A few times if need be. And lo and behold it worked.

What a div. Still i have realised that this forum tolerates idiots! :D2

If anyone wants any advice regarding motorcycles please feel free to ask :D

They don't involve gas. Well. Not the ethereal stuff at least.

Guy x

• Nice One! Nice One! x 2
    • Love it Love it x 1
  17. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

Ratings:
    +5,183
    We're here all weekend!(y)

• Like it Like it x 1