Free Member
Apr 3, 2014
Alton Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker SE
Exp
Newbie!
We have been away in motorhome for almost a fortnight but after a few day's use our gas appeared to run out. No problem, we have a spare that we bought secondhand on Ebay and judging by its weight is is more than half full. Fitted that and no difference. No gas. Bought a new cannister of gas with exactly the same result. No gas on any appliance in van. Just north of the cannnister there is an inline gizmo, a pressure regulating device so I believe. Could this have failed? There is a knurled screw in thing with what appears to be a hole in the centre. I have tried unscrewing this knurled screw but have only succeeded in scoring the knurled edge. Is this a bleed valve? We have had the van 2 years and have never had to change the gas up till now and have the van and all appliances reguarly serviced? Anyone out there able to offer any advice? I'd be most grateful. Jerry

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Is the gas not working on everything
eg fridge ,boiler, hob etc
what gas cylinders are you using?
No one has accidentally truned off the gas supply taps somewhere in the van have they?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
I would go with the regulator but are you on calor propane
butane
or refillable

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Do you have SecureMotion fitted ?
If so, then you need to press the two buttons in correct order

OP
OP
Jerrymjj

Jerrymjj

Free Member
Apr 3, 2014
Alton Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker SE
Exp
Newbie!
No idea what secure motion is so doubt if we have got it. We use Calor, 7kg red cylinders and the gas was working one night, did not actually run out but not working when we came to use it next. I'm really grateful for everyone's advice and it sounds like a trip to a dealer is called for. Sorry meant to add that I have tried to use boiler as well as cooker, all hobs, grill and oven and I've checked all the valves are on.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Definitely sounds like the regulator is gummed up and will have to be changed.
We had the same problem recently and our dealer sent us a replacement to the site we were staying on and suggested we get a local dealer to fit at their expense .

You haven't said where you are, but if in Kent don't go to Choose Leisure near Canterbury ... they took 3 hours to do the job which should have taken 30 minutes and charged accordingly. :madder:

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
If it's a propane gas regulator
They cost about £5 or £6 each if you can use a scredriver about a 10 minute job at most to swap over

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Definitely sounds like the regulator. Ours went in IOM and obviously panicked (not a member then) but sorted foc by Brownhills on return. Bought a second one just in case but also had stainless steel pipes fitted at that time because, apparently, it's the mix in Calor propane that erodes the rubber. Never had to use the spare but it's there JIC.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you post some photos of the regulator and hoses it would help with our diagnostics.
If it's a propane gas regulator
They cost about £5 or £6 each if you can use a scredriver about a 10 minute job at most to swap over
Most vans these days use bulkhead regulator which are over a £100.

OP
OP
Jerrymjj

Jerrymjj

Free Member
Apr 3, 2014
Alton Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker SE
Exp
Newbie!
It was the regulator. Bought one second hand from a breaker for £30 and all is well. Why on earth would it fail? Just suddenly stopped working. Thank you sincerely everyone for your help

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
It was the regulator. Bought one second hand from a breaker for £30 and all is well. Why on earth would it fail? Just suddenly stopped working. Thank you sincerely everyone for your help
Good news!
And thanks for letting us know ! I like to read follow ups!!( I'm nutty as you know!)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
They gum up. Have you got rubber hoses?

Deleted User
£30!:eek:
Should be less than a tenner:confused:

And that's new:cool:

Don't think that you will get a new bulkhead regulator for under a tenner, bottle top yes. £30 does seem steep for secondhand though, around £50 new.

Why on earth would it fail?

Apparently they do fail because of tarry deposits in the poly/rubber pipes especially if the regulator is lower than the bottle valve, lots use stainless steel flexible pipes because of this. Probably other causes as well, I'm no expert.

Deleted User
How do you work that out, it depends on the exact regulator the one on my van is £130.

That's what you get for buying sparkly new Hymer's:D

Bought a new manual changeover regulator from Hamilton Gas for under £50:)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Yes
Don't think that you will get a new bulkhead regulator for under a tenner, bottle top yes. £30 does seem steep for secondhand though, around £50 new.

Apparently they do fail because of tarry deposits in the poly/rubber pipes especially if the regulator is lower than the bottle valve, lots use stainless steel flexible pipes because of this. Probably other causes as well, I'm no expert.
, I fitted stainless steel after mine failed in IOM. Spare cist £28.00 but all vary.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That's what you get for buying sparkly new Hymer's:D

Bought a new manual changeover regulator from Hamilton Gas for under £50:)
Manual changeiver, that implies having to get out of the van when the gas runs out.
Noooo thank you.:D

Deleted User
Manual changeiver, that implies having to get out of the van when the gas runs out.
Noooo thank you.:D
I did think of an auto but I like to be in charge:D....then I know when one's empty.

I only changed because I wanted the changeover valve as I run with a UK bottle and a Spanish, it was a real pain in the a***e changing the pigtail every time, not a lot of room in my gas locker for 2 x 11k bottles.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

There I was complaining at 20€for a new bulkhead regulator a couple of years back.:LOL:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Nar, just got sensible in my old age. One of the pleasures of life when the red led comes on in the van I know its time to fill up.:ROFLMAO:
Mine doesn't go off late at night
images (19).jpg

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
£30 was a cheap fix and a diy learned. Well done

Join us or log in to post a reply.