No gas coming out of hob and so many valves (1 Viewer)

TheBishes

Free Member
Jul 12, 2017
Jersey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi,

I have a 1995 Enlagh 540 on Fiat Ducato chassis and for the first time tried to use the gas but to no avail.

There are 2 full gas bottles with a regulator (left or right cylinder). I opened the gas cylinder and heard a gas noise. I had the arrow pointing towards the gas bottle I was aiming to use.
Inside the kitchen are 4 inline valves so I turned the one for the hob to vertical (inline) then there is another valve which has a viewing window which was red but is now clear. I turned this valve vertically (inline) and then tried the hob but there is no gas coming out.
I was told that the camper had to be level for the gas to work and I was on a pretty flat surface at the time. Am I missing something very obvious here ?

TVM

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
You may have crash protected gas tails (tube from bottle to regulator) which have green buttons at the bottle end which have to be pressed for about 3 seconds after turning on the bottle.... there may also be a reset button on the regulator.

If these don't solve the problem, then you may have a gummed-up regulator which is quite a common problem.

PS :pink: to the group.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Inside the kitchen are 4 inline valves so I turned the one for the hob to vertical (inline) then there is another valve which has a viewing window which was red but is now clear. I turned this valve vertically (inline) and then tried the hob but there is no gas coming out.
This sounds like you have an auto changeover valve, that's the only thing I can think of that has a red viewing window. Turn both gas bottles on, and open all the valves.

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Does any other gas appliance work? Fridge / Boiler. If so, ensure the appliance valves are pointing in the same direction. This will ensure it is a cooker snag rather than a gas regulator snag. If not, as suggested, open both bottles then check.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Can you put photos on as it might help

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TheBishes

Free Member
Jul 12, 2017
Jersey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks everyone. I will try some of the suggestions. It seems a lot of valves just to make a cuppa.
I've only had my first camper for a month and it was our first trip out and wanted to use the kettle.
I haven't used any other gas appliance. There is a water heater, fridge and flame heater.
Photos would have been the way to go. Doh!
As the camper isn't onsite here I will pop and try and then upload some images.
Cheers

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Thanks everyone. I will try some of the suggestions. It seems a lot of valves just to make a cuppa.
I've only had my first camper for a month and it was our first trip out and wanted to use the kettle.
As the camper isn't onsite here I will pop and try and then upload some images.
Cheers
Once you have gas, you can leave all the valves on the inside of the MH alone. You will just open the bottles when required. After you show photos of the gas locker set up, you even find you can leave those alone too.(y)
Just had a thought. When you turned the gas knob on the hob to the on position, did you push it in as well to get the gas out?

Upvote 0
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
Does the cooker have a lid . If so have you pushed it back far enough ?
Some have to be well back to enable gas to flow .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
Does the cooker have a lid . If so have you pushed it back far enough ?
Some have to be well back to enable gas to flow .
As a complete newbie, I made this mistake.
Make sure the hob cover/lid is fully open even if you intend to use the grill or oven as there is a shut off switch which stops gas from getting through if the lid is fully or partially down.
Apologies if you know this already but I didn't.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back