No doubt a topic that has been discussed.......cleaning motor home roof. (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2014
Kent
Funster No
MH
Autocruise
Exp
2 weeks! def Newbie......
After just recently purchasing our new MH which now has pride of place on our drive....I was wondering exactly how to clean the roof?.....there is no rear ladder.

I am aware about the use of power hoses not being used, but I want to ensure the roof is protected as good as possible from the elements and bird poop!, also maintaining the solar panel.

so any tips on wax / shampoo and ladders used would be appreciated!

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
After just recently purchasing our new MH which now has pride of place on our drive....I was wondering exactly how to clean the roof?.....there is no rear ladder.

I am aware about the use of power hoses not being used, but I want to ensure the roof is protected as good as possible from the elements and bird poop!, also maintaining the solar panel.

so any tips on wax / shampoo and ladders used would be appreciated!

I send the wife up ....:clap2:

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
image.jpg

What you need is one of these a rosey

My life expectancy has now been reduced
I don't expect to survive the goth weekend rosey will kill me

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I use Graham's method.. a multipurpose ladder that can be used as a platform ..

like this Broken Link Removed

It can be used to reach really awkward areas like above the windscreen, especially if you have a luton body .. this with a decent car wash brush that takes a water supply is all you need.

Unless absolutely essential, don't go on the roof.. not only is it dangerous, especially when wet and slippy, I've read several tales of people falling off and ruining their next holiday.. but even if strong enough, your weight can distort the roof panel and break the seals around the roof lights ..
If you must go on, use something to spread the weight, like a scaffold plank.. I've always found bare feet gave me the best 'feel' and less likely to slip.

I used to go on the roof of my RV , but it had a very strong roof, composite plywood with a rubber membrane.. quite different from most European motorhomes, it did not bend or buckle under my weight and being so big it was a lot easier to use a deck scrubber and hose to get the muck off.

Plenty of propitiatory caravan cleaning products on the market.. most have a favorite... I like Silky but you can use any car cleaners. Traffic film removers are very good.. Screwfix have one at about £3 for 2lt and if nothing else avaible use washing up liquid..

If you have an awning, now is the time to also give it a good clean.. my method is is simple, very effective and cheap..

Bucket of warm water , good squirt of Fairy and 1 cup of cheap thin bleach.

Open the awning and wash BOTH sides with a soft broom or car brush.. roll it back in while still wet and soapy.. Leave for half an hour.. open up and hose off.. brand new awning. !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
personal I go up on the roof and only you are in a position to decide if your fit and agile enough to get up there and work also it depends upon your weight, apart from the above I use a hose and bucket & sponge, it doesn't take that long and it gives me the opportunity to check the condition of the ancillaries fitted on the roof, I am also sad enough to polish it with autoglym. I do it about four times a year then wash and polish the rest of the van. Back to how I do it is use a ladder with foam rubber on the part that touches the van at the edge where the roof meets the side wall.

Reactions: SMB
Upvote 0

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I have a ladder with pillows taped to the top.
Can do it from each side without going on top.

I used to stand on the garage roof to reach, but that stopped when I went through. (It wasn't an accident, it was stupidity.)
Broken ankles and toes isn't good.
Instead of a month's trip to Italy I had a month in a wheelchair.

In anticipation of a reply.......
Graham, Shuttit!

Plan B:
Get a vehicle valeter to do it.

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I do mine once a year in the spring always go up bare feet bucket and long handled brush. Give a good wash with a wash n wax. While up there check everything is ok 15 minutes job done for another year.

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I believe these two gentlemen may be available for rent to the right people .......

FHighUps.jpg

Andy63 and Busman. :)

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
We have the Telescopic Ladders from Maplin

Broken Link Removed

They are often reduced in the sale.
Steve is washing the van roof at the moment on the site at Thirsk Racecourse.

Upvote 0

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Here a few of my thoughts :-
Power/Pressure washers - If you use one make sure that you have a wide fan and keep it moving otherwise you might damage your van.
TFR or Traffic Film Remover
- There are a lot of different makes of TFR and a lot of them contain caustic which burn the dirt away. ALWAYS read the dilution instructions, because too strong a dilution will result in your graphics disappearing and or bleached white run marks down the side of your van.
Ladders - I always use lengths of pipe insulation, which protects the van and prevents slipping. I use a multi ladder similar to Grahams (Maplins sell them)
Fairy Liquid - No no no, it contains salt as well as lots of other nasties and definitely no bleach please Any good car shampoo will do the job, just make sure you use lots of water before shampoo and after as your van will be covered in fine grit.
Walking on the roof - I always make a judgement call before venturing on to a customers roof.Most modern vans are OK to walk on the roof occasionally.

Upvote 0

weebill

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2014
aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2006
I don't like to walk on the roof so I open up the heki to its full extent and clean all around as far as I can reach, this includes the solar panel.
Then the outer edges are washed down from on top of a multi ladder much as everyone else uses.

Upvote 0

mobic

Free Member
Oct 23, 2013
Linlithgow, West Lothian
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
I use an 'H' frame, with an 'A' step ladder secured at right angles with bungees. Rectangular wheeled
bucket, long handled soft bristled brush, Motorhome/Caravan cleaner, Black streak remover all ex Aldi or Lidl
and a fair dollop of elbow grease. If it's a bit windy add a wetsuit for good measure.
Also used the 'A' and 'H' for redoing the vinyl graphics.
Regards
Mobic

Upvote 0

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We've just cleaned our awning using Graham's tip, it's come up great. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Luckily there's a vehicle valeter right next to the the compound where we keep our motorhome.
£30 to wash and polish. And extra £10 t0 do the roof. Comes out looking like new :)

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
My plan is not to feed our stick thin 22yrs old for a couple of weeks then send him up on the roof to give it a good clean before winter.
There are laws against sending him up chimmerlies but nowts been sed about motorhome roofs. :LOL:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We've just cleaned our awning using Graham's tip, it's come up great. Thanks.

just re-read Grahams notes and don't see anything about cleaning the awning.. what was the tip ?

EDIT..
apologies..
I jumped to the end of the thread and missed your reply to Graham..

glad it was a success !

Last edited:
Reactions: GJH
Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Fairy Liquid - No no no, it contains salt as well as lots of other nasties and definitely no bleach please Any good car shampoo will do the job, just make sure you use lots of water before shampoo and after as your van will be covered in fine grit.

Since it was me who mentioned bleach and Fairy you you must be referring to my tip on how to clean the awning.. ?

it was a tip I read in an American motorhome forum, all I know is that it works and has never caused any damage to the fabric,.. .. it will remove all the nasty bird poo etc .. which will burn the fabric if not removed.. done correctly and flushed with plenty of fresh water it brings it up like new ..

I washed mine every six months or so and it looked like new when I sold it..had it for 5 years

I wasn't suggesting this solution to clean the bodywork, graphics etc..

Would be interested to know your method and what product you use.. ?

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Walking on the roof - I always make a judgement call before venturing on to a customers roof.Most modern vans are OK to walk on the roof occasionally.

How do you make the 'call' .. which roofs would you not venture onto .. and do you ask permission from the owner before doing so ?

most coach built van roofs are a very similar construction, ie ally sheet with a wooden frame.. not many have a fiberglass roof, if you venture near any roof furniture you risk breaking the waterproof seal.. if you were valeting mine I wouldn't want you walking all over the roof.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Interesting to read Mike's post as it shows the difference of approach between different professional valet services.

At Peterborough last year a van close to use was cleaned by a company exhibiting there. They were walking on the roof and using pressure washers in a manner that I should not have liked on our van. Granted the roof was pretty dirty (I can't remember the reason but the owner hadn't been able to do it for a while) but the treatment struck me as a bit too rough and risky.

Upvote 0

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
First and foremost if a customer says no walking on the roof even if it is a brand new van the customer is always right. Generally speaking I look at the age of the van and then having cleaned a considerable amount of motorhomes I can usually see if the roof is strong or not, there are some makes that I will not walk on the roof, but if there is any doubt then I will not venture onto the roof. I don't know which company Graham is referring too but having worked for a dealer and attended shows prior to opening I have seen some extremely bad behavior of so called valeters. Because of the volume of work some of these companies employ casual staff that have had little or no training so they see nothing wrong in blasting away at motorhomes.

Upvote 0

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I've cleaned the roof of the Autotrail, EXCEPT for under the solar panel, which has a gap of about an inch to the roof, any suggestions for getting it clean?
Thanks in advance..
Cheers, Dave(y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back