No discount with Comfort insurance by being a member of this group! (1 Viewer)

TinTentTourist

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
LA15 The Furness Peninsular, Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 754
Exp
Day 1 will be 10th July 2019
I just had a good quote from Comfort for my new MH, and asked about the discount for being in this group as mentioned by other members. (5%)
Bailey (the assistant) reeled off a list of at least 6 clubs that were eligible, but stated repeatedly that this was not one of them.
Perhaps things have changed, but either she has it wrong and I am unable to correct her or a negotiated discount has been lost on the Comfort staff.
Can anyone assist?
Cheers
Martin

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
My fault most likely, I have been critical of them this last 18 months. Some of you might remember they did a deal with another forum offering insurance in that forums name.

I fancied doing something similar, and we planned this for about 10 months. I gave an insurance advertiser i already had notice to quit and turned down new business from another. Just as we were about to go, the girl I was dealing with left and the son took over he pulled the plug and essentially said he'd rather not work with motorhome fun as he didn't want to pay me a commission for members that he was going to get anyway. This left me well out of pocket and rather annoyed. He still runs the scheme for the other forum but will not do the same for us. So at every opportunity.I like to tell people what a prat I think he is, If that is costing you a discount I'm sorry.

OP
OP
TinTentTourist

TinTentTourist

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 754
Exp
Hi Jim, I don't have a issue with shunning prats!
I only posted because a number of members recommend Comfort and mention the discount for being in this club.
Their price for me as a newbie was good, and the discount would be less than £20 so not a big deal, but in the interest of accurate info within the insurance forum, I thought I should mention it.
I know things will change year on year, so as long as we share experiences, we will stay fairly up to date.
Further info for others...
I would also add that they would not insure me unless I had a Thatcham Class 1 alarm or a Thatcham Class 5 or 6 tracker fitted, as the list price of my vehicle is over £55k and the policy is new for old up to 3 years. I was then given 14 days to get one fitted, and email the certificate to them as proof.
To me that is a £600 (fitted) alarm option that some may wish to avoid or £600 tracker (fitted) with ongoing contract at £168 per year or £399 for three years.
Cheers
Martin

PS does Fun have an insurer that it recommends, I have yet to take a policy out?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If Comfort has the policy that you want then don't mind me. I don't wish them ill will, nor would I discourage anyone from using them. If you fit their requirements, in that your needs are straight forward, you are in the right postcode, and your van is within their price parameters with the right tracker then they offer a good policy.

Personally, I'd use AIB or Safeguard, but my needs are not straight forward, in as much I need commercial use and tow trailers etc. Both of those are brokers with numerous underwriters so can get the cover I need.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Hi Jim, I don't have a issue with shunning prats!
I only posted because a number of members recommend Comfort and mention the discount for being in this club.
Their price for me as a newbie was good, and the discount would be less than £20 so not a big deal, but in the interest of accurate info within the insurance forum, I thought I should mention it.
I know things will change year on year, so as long as we share experiences, we will stay fairly up to date.
Further info for others...
I would also add that they would not insure me unless I had a Thatcham Class 1 alarm or a Thatcham Class 5 or 6 tracker fitted, as the list price of my vehicle is over £55k and the policy is new for old up to 3 years. I was then given 14 days to get one fitted, and email the certificate to them as proof.
To me that is a £600 (fitted) alarm option that some may wish to avoid or £600 tracker (fitted) with ongoing contract at £168 per year or £399 for three years.
Cheers
Martin

PS does Fun have an insurer that it recommends, I have yet to take a policy out?

Try NFU in Chichester they don’t ask for Alarm or Tracker. May cost a little more but you save by not having the ongoing costs of the Tracker and the fitting in the first place.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
You don't get the discount for the other forum any more either! We used to get it but from last year it's gone!

Denise

P Jones

Free Member
Apr 15, 2017
Retford
Funster No
MH
ci carioca 694
Exp
My fault most likely, I have been critical of them this last 18 months. Some of you might remember they did a deal with another forum offering insurance in that forums name.

I fancied doing something similar, and we planned this for about 10 months. I gave an insurance advertiser i already had notice to quit and turned down new business from another. Just as we were about to go, the girl I was dealing with left and the son took over he pulled the plug and essentially said he'd rather not work with motorhome fun as he didn't want to pay me a commission for members that he was going to get anyway. This left me well out of pocket and rather annoyed. He still runs the scheme for the other forum but will not do the same for us. So at every opportunity.I like to tell people what a prat I think he is, If that is costing you a discount I'm sorry.
here here pass them by. i have tried a few times. thanks , but no thanks, ok pj

OP
OP
TinTentTourist

TinTentTourist

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 754
Exp
Final word... insured with.... Adrian Flux. Much less dogmatic, almost like for like cover, slightly less money. Nicer people to deal with from my limited experience of both.
Thanks All.
Martin

PS no tracker required and insured old for new on price paid not list price - said they will argue if the replacement is more than I paid as I asked them! Not what Comfort said.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
They are not still doing discounts for the other forum from this year. We have been getting the discount for a few years up to this year even though we are no longer members.

Denise

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have been with Comfort for donkeys years and have never mentioned being a member on here. Their price has always been good and service excellent as I have made a claim a few years back.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
AIB Don't give No Claims Discounts so when it's time to move you are totally stuffed as no proof that you have not had an accident.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Neither do Comfort although they will say how long you have been with them! We've always found Comfort quotes to be very reasonable and have stuck with them for the last few years.

Denise

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Neither do Comfort although they will say how long you have been with them! We've always found Comfort quotes to be very reasonable and have stuck with them for the last few years.

Denise
When I signed up with Comfort a couple of weeks back they requested a copy of my previous insurance renewal so they could keep this on file as confirmation of previous NCD.

Section IX of their policy states this -
"This Policy does not provide a no claim discount, but it does provide no claim entitlement. If evidence of previous no claim discount is provided to us, we will maintain a record whereby we can provide evidence of that discount to you at a later date should this be needed. If no claims are made while you are insured with us, we will also provide confirmation of this entitlement. All policies are rated according to claim experience."

Jan 22, 2018
Sunny Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Nearly reasy to buy!
Am just seeking best value insurance and have almost decided to go with Comfort, but they say I have to notify them any/or every time my vehicle may be unattended for more than 48 hours -if it is parked anywhere other than the drive at home (or other secure storage site if that was what chosen at inception of policy). I hadn't ever thought about this, no other provider has mentioned it when applying for quotes, so could anyone tell me if is this common amongst all providers? I am a bit concerned that if, for instance, I leave my van parked at my daughters house and go away with her for more than 48 hours, notify insurance company and they will sting me with a charge because the postcode attracts a higher premium?

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
AIB Don't give No Claims Discounts so when it's time to move you are totally stuffed as no proof that you have not had an accident.
We had the same problem when we were leaving them but Caravan Club bettered their quote and we have now built up no claims with them over the last 3 years

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I HATE insurance companies...

They are all BANDITS...

JJ :cool:
Oh dear!
What a silly statement,especially from such a wise pie eating gentleman.
Insurance is a contract between the company and the policyholder,and most problems are caused by proposal forms being incorrectly completed and the policy not being read by the policyholder.
UK insurance companies pay out billions every year in claims so they can’t “all be bandits”.

And I’ve never met a widow who didn’t believe in life insurance.

Anyway,”HATE” is such a useless emotion.
:)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Over a 40 year career spent in insurance, mainly claims, yes I have seen many instances of insurance companies being shifty, dishonest, greedy call them what you will but I also saw many, many many more occasions where insurers were honest, decent, generous (!) and caring. Of course good news never gets any press so all you hear about are the complaints and problems people have.

Zacshoomans

Free Member
Aug 16, 2019
Bath
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo 2013
Exp
Newbies
We've spent much time talking to Comfort today and need to clarify re Thatcham 1. Yes they have requested a Certificate (which the dealer doesn't have), but when asking Comfort whether that eliminates us - they said no - just that the premium would be £18 higher.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Am just seeking best value insurance and have almost decided to go with Comfort, but they say I have to notify them any/or every time my vehicle may be unattended for more than 48 hours -if it is parked anywhere other than the drive at home (or other secure storage site if that was what chosen at inception of policy). I hadn't ever thought about this, no other provider has mentioned it when applying for quotes, so could anyone tell me if is this common amongst all providers? I am a bit concerned that if, for instance, I leave my van parked at my daughters house and go away with her for more than 48 hours, notify insurance company and they will sting me with a charge because the postcode attracts a higher premium?

With Comfort also and have the same (well similar, mine is parked on a CaSSOA storage site) condition. But I don't think they actually load the premium, unless you do it for more than a few occasions. I'd think they're just keeping an eye on their risk factor. Don't know if other insurances ask the same but seems reasonable to me and doesn't cause any problems.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back