Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Folks,

I have a problem . . namely no 240 volt, worked fine first day on hook-up, then tripped both at site supply post and in van ( Burstner Elegance ), reset the RCD, bloke came from reception reset the site supply, i checked supply at post was ok using a 2 pin plug with usb charging my phone, then tried plugging in the phone into 3 pin mains inside the MH, circuit breaker then tripped out, nothing else plugged into mains,

What else can i check for ?, the control panel is working fine as is the 12 v lights, water pump etc,

I am on site at Camping Raco in Benidorm,

Thanks,

Ken.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Don't use the adaptor that you used for the phone (if I understand your description of events correctly). EHU should be charging the batteries & running the fridge OK (and heating water (if you have that). The last thing you used before the trip went would be the culprit. Either get a new one or an electrician to look at it.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Worry not it is not too complicated to find out what is wrong and to put it right when you have traced the fault :)

1st check that all your 240v appliances (including fridge & heater/boiler) are off and nothing is plugged in to any of your 3 pin sockets then try the mains again. If it still trips out then you will have to start checking the vans 240v incomer & wiring for a short or earth.

It may well be that the RCD (Residual Current Device) in your mains incomer is defective, this can be checked (dependant on how competent you are with electrics) by disconnecting the out going wires from the unit and trying the 240v again, if all is OK then whilst you have it disconnected, using a multi-meter check the wiring for short cct or earth!

Once you have isolated the fault the remedy should be fairly easy - wiring fault, repair it or RCD fault - replace it

If the RCD is at fault and you are abroad an cannot get a "like for like" unit then (again dependent on competence) you can buy a standard household RCD and wire it in as a temporary replacement

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs
Worry not it is not too complicated to find out what is wrong and to put it right when you have traced the fault :)

1st check that all your 240v appliances (including fridge & heater/boiler) are off and nothing is plugged in to any of your 3 pin sockets then try the mains again. If it still trips out then you will have to start checking the vans 240v incomer & wiring for a short or earth.

It may well be that the RCD (Residual Current Device) in your mains incomer is defective, this can be checked (dependant on how competent you are with electrics) by disconnecting the out going wires from the unit and trying the 240v again, if all is OK then whilst you have it disconnected, using a multi-meter check the wiring for short cct or earth!

Once you have isolated the fault the remedy should be fairly easy - wiring fault, repair it or RCD fault - replace it

If the RCD is at fault and you are abroad an cannot get a "like for like" unit then (again dependent on competence) you can buy a standard household RCD and wire it in as a temporary replacement
So why would a Faulty RCD trip the post. ?

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
So why would a Faulty RCD trip the post. ?

Dependant on the fault - if the RCD itself is short cct then it will trip the post - it also often depends on the capacity of the post and /or the condition of its RCD as to whether the van or the post or both trip under short cct conditions

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs
Dependant on the fault - if the RCD itself is short cct then it will trip the post - it also often depends on the capacity of the post and /or the condition of its RCD as to whether the van or the post or both trip under short cct conditions
Never know an RCD go short circuit then Hold in after.??

OP
OP
beerdrinker1
Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for your responses guys, I too, think the RCD is the source of problem, only obstacle is that, the previous owner had a safe fitted in the wardrobe its fitted right against the left hand bank of screws on the cover of the RCD making it impossible to remove the cover !!!!!, now got to sort out removing the safe . watch this space !.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
Never know an RCD go short circuit then Hold in after.??

I have - on a boat the RCD failed completely due to water ingress and melted the plastic & welded the contacts - unlikely but it can happen(y)

Y'know @The Flute - I did not realise I was sitting a technical exam in the workings of RCDs, ELCBs, RCCBs, thermionic valves, PNP junctions, phantastrons, mag amps, resonant frequency's (oneover2pirootLC=theresonantfrequency;)) etc.:cautious:

I was just trying to be helpful to a fellow funster in trouble and did not mean to upset you in any way :)

Reactions: JJ

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs
I have - on a boat the RCD failed completely due to water ingress and melted the plastic & welded the contacts - unlikely but it can happen(y)

Y'know @The Flute - I did not realise Ibeas sitting a technical exam in the workings of RCDs, ELCBs, RCCBs, thermionic valves, PNP junctions, phantastrons, mag amps, resonant frequency's (oneover2pirootLC=theresonantfrequency;)) etc.:cautious:

I was just trying to be helpful to a fellow funster in trouble and did not mean to upset you in any way :)
Sorry not upset in anyway. Was just trying to work out what the RCD fault could be that would trip Post and Rcd. In 25 years I've only ever seen about 3 fail completely. But they won't hold in at all. Or go weak on a ramp test.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Ken, I would borrow someone's lead and try that first, it might be something simple like water shorting it causing the problem. :eek:
When I read :whistle: I am on site at Camping Raco in Benidorm, :rolleyes:
;) Before you start ripping the van apart. :LOL:
Good luck. (y) Bob

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
Sorry not upset in anyway. Was just trying to work out what the RCD fault could be that would trip Post and Rcd. In 25 years I've only ever seen about 3 fail completely. But they won't hold in at all. Or go weak on a ramp test.

The one on the boat was a mess - salt water corrosion/arcing etc.:)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The one on the boat was a mess - salt water corrosion/arcing etc.:)
Was it a Swift? I would look for a case of reversed polarity and the thing that set it off being a short circuit when reversed.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
Was it a Swift? I would look for a case of reversed polarity and the thing that set it off being a short circuit when reversed.

It was a boat - a Westerly if I remember correctly

OP
OP
beerdrinker1
Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks again guys, its times like this you realise how good it is to be a funster, first time I've had to request any help and here it is in shedloads !!!,
I have tried different leads and connectors, found water in a 2 pin adaptor and thought Yesss, but no ha ha, used a new one, checked every connection on extension leads and conversion leads, but still zero, tomorrow will attempt to move safe and remove RCD and gave look inside, found out that solar panel input not getting through batteries, so must be linked with problem, ah well almost time for a pint :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What else can i check for ?,

Ken.

Assuming you have a few circuit breakers in the distribution unit, turn them all off. See if you can trip the on board and/or post breakers with nothing but the rcd on.

If that works you switch on one breaker at a time.

Try and narrow it down.

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs
Does the test button work on the RCD?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Ken

A couple of years ago we had a similar problem and it turned out to be a dodgy contact on one of the main connections in the van, the live pin was arcing and getting hot, I think I just found it by accident while having a look I saw the scorched insulation.

Martin

OP
OP
beerdrinker1
Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Dave and San, process of elimination still taking place, but looking more positive, hope you two are doing well and looking after yourselves,
All the best,
Ken.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Dave and San, process of elimination still taking place, but looking more positive, hope you two are doing well and looking after yourselves,
All the best,
Ken.
We’re ok ken, thanks for the update and hope you get it sorted.
Let us know the outcome please, maybe of some use to others.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'm all right too (just in case you wondered), hoping you don't electrocute yourself.
I'll sleep better when we're all the wiser from the event...

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We have eliminated the RCDs on both the hookup post and the van they are OK as is the cable.
The problem seems to be in the Burstner fitted Reich E box, which controls the supply to the van.
The 20 amp fuse for the battery main charger on the 12v side had blown, this we renewed. The remaining 12v circuits are working fine. We disconnected the supply 240v (kettle) socket to the back of Ebox and then switched the hookup on with no problem, once we reconnected the supply to the Ebox both the post and the van trips went.
I don't have sufficient info on the E box to confidently progress to try and narrow down the source of what is obviously a fault/short on the 240v side of the E box. I suspect that the charger in the box has failed, blowing the 12v fuse and tripping the hookup post.
Having now checked out the internet on the 'box' it would seem that they are quite flakey when additional leisure batteries are fitted. Ken has 2 leisure batteries.
Any suggestions?
Cheers
Ed

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The original charger may only have been rated for one battery. I think the one supplied can be by-passed and then you need to fit a bigger one. Multi-stage, obviously. There is a guide for current output but I don't recall what that is but think it would need to be at least 40A.

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs
Not to difficult to fit an after marker multistage charger (with float) just finding somewhere to fit it.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
obviously a fault/short on the 240v side of the E box. I suspect that the charger in the box has failed, blowing the 12v fuse and tripping the hookup post.

just reading your post...and hoping you get it sorted.. its taking out the earth trip as opposed to the overload protection ??? if thats the case its an earth fault you are looking at...
can you disconnect the possibly duff battery charger and see if that sorts the problem..
apologies if ive misunderstood...
Andy

OP
OP
beerdrinker1
Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
We have eliminated the RCDs on both the hookup post and the van they are OK as is the cable.
The problem seems to be in the Burstner fitted Reich E box, which controls the supply to the van.
The 20 amp fuse for the battery main charger on the 12v side had blown, this we renewed. The remaining 12v circuits are working fine. We disconnected the supply 240v (kettle) socket to the back of Ebox and then switched the hookup on with no problem, once we reconnected the supply to the Ebox both the post and the van trips went.
I don't have sufficient info on the E box to confidently progress to try and narrow down the source of what is obviously a fault/short on the 240v side of the E box. I suspect that the charger in the box has failed, blowing the 12v fuse and tripping the hookup post.
Having now checked out the internet on the 'box' it would seem that they are quite flakey when additional leisure batteries are fitted. Ken has 2 leisure batteries.
Any suggestions?
Cheers
Ed

Thanks to Eddy's efforts, great skill, knowledge and determination, we have finished up with everything working well, apart from the on board charger, but by having 240v again, I can use my smart charger to keep the leisure batteries well topped up until i return home,

Pheww, thanks to all you guys for your contributions and very special thanks to Eddy, some beers coming your way :drink::drink::drink::drink::drink:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back