LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
More free downloadable recipes https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B4KLLCSW/?tag=mhf04-21

1705924370678.png

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Hey Fun Foodi's
You are all experienced and by the looks of have adjusted your cooking to perfection.

For the newbies .. Don't Rest your meat unless you want the meat to continue cooking past your chosen settings.

It does not make the meat juicier, moisture is chemically bonded to the protein molecules ..its called myoglobin(it also gives meat red colour.

Often when a stake is rare, people think the red juice is blood ..it is not it is myoglobin, if it was blood it would soon go black and congeal.

The moisture is not held in the fibres of the meat like a sponge so resting only allows the internal temp to continue cooking, the fibres of the meat don't expand allowing juice to fill them up .. making it more juicy or tender.

The heat breaks down the bond between protein and myoglobin and releases the myoglobin, so more heat .. the dryer the meat and less red colour.

Chef Heston Blumenthal has done his scientific research into resting meat and found Resting has no advantages other than to allow further cooking.

Bear in mind if you are already successfully using a recipe that includes resting, then it works for you.

For others that want to cut cook to eat time down cut out the 30min resting and just add a few minutes on the cook timer.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Just downloaded mine for free too(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Hey Fun Foodi's
You are all experienced and by the looks of have adjusted your cooking to perfection.

For the newbies .. Don't Rest your meat unless you want the meat to continue cooking past your chosen settings.

It does not make the meat juicier, moisture is chemically bonded to the protein molecules ..its called myoglobin(it also gives meat red colour.

Often when a stake is rare, people think the red juice is blood ..it is not it is myoglobin, if it was blood it would soon go black and congeal.

The moisture is not held in the fibres of the meat like a sponge so resting only allows the internal temp to continue cooking, the fibres of the meat don't expand allowing juice to fill them up .. making it more juicy or tender.

The heat breaks down the bond between protein and myoglobin and releases the myoglobin, so more heat .. the dryer the meat and less red colour.

Chef Heston Blumenthal has done his scientific research into resting meat and found Resting has no advantages other than to allow further cooking.

Bear in mind if you are already successfully using a recipe that includes resting, then it works for you.

For others that want to cut cook to eat time down cut out the 30min resting and just add a few minutes on the cook timer.
I just googled this and every piece of evidence that I saw says you should allow meat to rest. So, what's the answer?

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Hi yes old style cooking habits all use resting but modern scientific research shows resting has no benefits other than increasing cooking time.

Ha ha yes, even famous chefs use resting.. but it is 2024 now !! new cooking techniques and technology exist .. Blumenthal is an advocate of using modern techniques and technology, he is a respected chef,.

He scientifically analysed resting tecniques and non rest .. using analysis of weight loss +moisture content + texture: and proved there were no benefits gained by resting other to increase the time the meat is exposed to heat ..accumulated heat, therebye cooking it for longer.

You can continue using your recipes using resting but can also save 30mins resting or so "onto table time" with no loss .

However if your recipe comes out exactly perfect as you like it with rest time you may need to add a 3-4mins to cooking time with no rest.

Check Blumenthal's research rest v no rest Google.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
The comprehensive analysis for resting myth, including Blumenthals contribution, is below if you want to wade through it.

It won't change a thing .. her indoors still rests the sunday roast beef and roast chicken ha ha " if you don't like it TOUGH !?, Ive been cooking since I was a liitle girl ..mum taught me"

I daren't bring the subject up any more, I'll just carry on eating my wimp-me burgers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back