Nightmare return to the UK at the end of 90 days. (1 Viewer)

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
The only point in the tests in my opinion is some deluded thought that it enforces the 10 day isolation as you wont get results of day 8 till at least day 10.

Otherwise its pointless in every way .
How many people actually complete the test correctly anyway? I know I didn't manage to do 20 seconds at the back of my throat..more like a second then I gagged and it touched my tongue.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
How many people actually complete the test correctly anyway? I know I didn't manage to do 20 seconds at the back of my throat..more like a second then I gagged and it touched my tongue.
Our test kits specified only 3-5 seconds. I think I just about managed 3 seconds ......

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Thank you. It gives me an idea what to expect. (y)

I also fully agree with the testing but the bad way it has been set up with zero leeway for error and the excessive cost for citizens who have a right to be here is disgraceful.
Just watching the super spreading truck drivers and officials and in our case the Duane just rubs salt into the wounds of people who take great care to protect themselves and others.
Also what about people who have no access to internet or knowledge of how to use it.
If you look at the testing figures Super Spreading Truckers is such fake news. Poor buggers struggle to even mix in a cafe.Think Continental truckers who we depend on for much of our food do a fantastic unrecognised job..Hats off to them.BUSBY.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Well our 10 days are complete. I did not receive a single call, text or email from the £32billion Track & Trace mob. The wife had 1 follow up call from them on day 2. Complete waste of money
Sorry if i did not see any previous posts of yours. Did you hotel quarantine? If so which hotel and how was it? We are due in on Monday, we think, but they wont tell you we are going to Holiday Inn Heathrow M4.

EDIT : sorry again, i read on and see you house isolated (well went home)

Last edited:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If you look at the testing figures Super Spreading Truckers is such fake news. Poor buggers struggle to even mix in a cafe.Think Continental truckers who we depend on for much of our food do a fantastic unrecognised job..Hats off to them.BUSBY.
I wonder if prices have anything to do with it ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Interesting reading above. We have and are going through the return to UK from a RED LIST country. Arrival Monday.

We have talked to "experts" both here and UK until we are blue in the face. We have read reams and reams of things we should/should not do. We have filled countless forms. Today we will go for a 2nd PCR test within 24hrs as the one we took yesterday (NEG) we took too soon as Germany change from 72 to 48 hrs before arrive (going via Frankfurt as Emirates are not flying into UK)
We were NOT allowed to board the aircraft a couple of weeks ago even though we followed what we were advised to the letter.

We are not allowed the 5 days test to release as we are coming from a red list country.

At a stage now whereas we will just do what we can and keep fingers crossed.
Far too many "experts" giving false info.
Someone had a go at me for complaining about the costs related in the UK. Reading above i feel justified in yet again complaining. And yet again i will say it's a rip off.
Rant over, calm down now.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Interesting reading above. We have and are going through the return to UK from a RED LIST country. Arrival Monday.

We have talked to "experts" both here and UK until we are blue in the face. We have read reams and reams of things we should/should not do. We have filled countless forms. Today we will go for a 2nd PCR test within 24hrs as the one we took yesterday (NEG) we took too soon as Germany change from 72 to 48 hrs before arrive (going via Frankfurt as Emirates are not flying into UK)
We were NOT allowed to board the aircraft a couple of weeks ago even though we followed what we were advised to the letter.

We are not allowed the 5 days test to release as we are coming from a red list country.

Someone had a go at me for complaining about the costs related in the UK. Reading above i feel justified in yet again complaining. And yet again i will say it's a rip off.
Sounds like you have had a stressful time. Are you having to go into hotel quarantine? That was my biggest worry as we have a dog.

Edit - have just read above that you are having to hotel quarantine. Good much and I hope the time passes as quickly as it can. Are you stocked up with good books or kindle?

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Sounds like you have had a stressful time. Are you having to go into hotel quarantine? That was my biggest worry as we have a dog.

Edit - have just read above that you are having to hotel quarantine. Good much and I hope the time passes as quickly as it can. Are you stocked up with good books or kindle?
Yes have the Kindle well stocked. Hoping we can get a delivery of Budweiser & Prosecco:LOL:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

Wishing you all the best with your hotel quarantine. While I’ve been complaining about the cost of PCR test packages, hotel quarantine is the ultimate rip-off! Please let us know how you get on.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

I don't envy you and yours one bit Bob, and your post relating the problems experienced, (like those of others too), make me glad that we didn't venture abroad this winter, however, I do wish you both all the best with the "red tape" procedure, and with the hotel quarantining. Good luck for the trip back. (y)

Come back for your jabs have you?
We used to have a "spanner" emoji for the likes of thoughtless and provocative posts such as yours. Unfortunately, we no longer have that facility, however, allow me to try and put that right....................

1618041849404.png

Regards,

Jock. :(

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We used to have a "spanner" emoji for the likes of thoughtless and provocative posts such as yours. Unfortunately, we no longer have that facility, however, allow me to try and put that right....................
No, no, no Jock. The spanner reaction meant ‘useful’ post. Give him a ‘popcorn’! :rofl:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
No, no, no Jock. The spanner reaction meant ‘useful’ post. Give him a ‘popcorn’! :rofl:
Again Marian, it depends on one's interpretation of the emojis. For me it meant the contrary. He/she's already been "popcorned". ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Reactions: maz

Chrisreay

Free Member
May 11, 2020
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Renault Master L2H2
Exp
42 years
Who would of thought people might have extra trouble and expense when travelling in the worst Pandemic since 1918?:unsure:
At least Boris didnt get the blame for the traffic jam in Rouen!:smiley:
Government's figures from ONS suggest it's not quite as bad as 2017-18 flu season, worth checking - the information is clear. The gross figures stated by Boris have been downgraded by 23% and then you must divide them into annual rather than cumulative totals - ie., halve them and take away 23%. You get around 48,000 as opposed to around 51,000 from 'flu in the 2017-18 season. It's nothing like as bad as the 1968 and 1957 'flus, both of which I caught, but we never noticed how many it was killing - young people, too. There appears to be no 'flu in the last 2 seasons.

Apr 15, 2020
Devon
Funster No
MH
PILOTE 650 E
Exp
The fun is still to come wait for the phone calls texts and threatening emails should you not answer the first call tgst incidentally will come up as suspected spam on your phone.

I did my day 2 test on sunday and as yet i have heard nothing back from testing company.

I saw some of the 20 or so options for testing companies charging £350

I could have got nhs testing kits free from my sister as she has to test regular at work and has a stack of them but not allowed to supply your own

And you are testing yourself where ill guarantee you dont reach the places the qualified nurses etc get to .

Piece of nonsense ...

Youll likely have seen the same as i did at calais with lorry drivers etc excempt from testing but wearing no masks and not social distancing.

Im just grateful i wasn't pushed in to the ridiculous priced hotel quarantine that you could get a 5 star hotel for the price of.
Sorry to hear of the tribulations you have encountered returning to the U.K.
Let’s be grateful that we have a government that has guided us through a difficult and unpredictable time. No handbooks on how to deal with pandemics, so very much trial and error. Let’s just be grateful that we are no longer part of the EU and were able to steer our own course with vaccinations.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985

Or firelighters

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Just bought shares in a test kit company....I’ll soon be a millionaire!
there's got to be immense pressure in the pharmaceutical companies to come up with better tests, those who get it right will make a fortune!

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
Government's figures from ONS suggest it's not quite as bad as 2017-18 flu season, worth checking - the information is clear. The gross figures stated by Boris have been downgraded by 23% and then you must divide them into annual rather than cumulative totals - ie., halve them and take away 23%. You get around 48,000 as opposed to around 51,000 from 'flu in the 2017-18 season. It's nothing like as bad as the 1968 and 1957 'flus, both of which I caught, but we never noticed how many it was killing - young people, too. There appears to be no 'flu in the last 2 seasons.
If that is true (and I have no reason to doubt it) it puts a very different complexion on things - though no less tragic whether deaths by flu or covid!

As stated above (and noted by the likes of Dr Campbell) there have been almost zero deaths attributed to flu over this period, but I find it difficult to believe that flu has just gone away and that many of the deaths we have seen over the last two years have not been due to flu rather than straight covid.

Taking Chrisreay's figures from above, if there were only 20% deaths recorded as from covid were actually flu related that would reduce the deaths from covid to 32,000 and the overall covid death rate to 64,000 over the entire pandemic! Still scary but not the 127,000 we currently have flashed on TV daily.

Perhaps once Covid is controlled we will be back to recording flu deaths in the 10's of thousands per year again?

Perhaps I'm wrong - I'll get my tin foil hat back on now...!:whistle:

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
Couple of points. Those flu death were without any lockdowns. How many covid deaths would there have been if there had been no social distancing and no lockdowns? Secondly whilst flu kills lots of folks, it doesn't have the same ability to hospitalise 10s of thousands of otherwise relatively healthy people in their middle years ( who subsequently don't die.)
IMO it was never deaths that sparked lockdown and panic, its was overwhelming the NHS with people who ultimately didn't die.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The reason that flu (and colds) has gone down so much is because we have been isolating or taking precautions because of Covid. Flu is like Covid in the way that it is transmitted, but is a lot less contagious. Therefore reduction in flu and flu deaths.

We have not had flu for many years since we started getting the flu jab in the autumn. But I always used to get a winter cold at some point, but not this winter (so far)!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back