Nightmare return to the UK at the end of 90 days. (1 Viewer)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
No it isn't.The requirement is you cannot export more than 10,000€ without a declaration.They can ask how much you have .Once. Once you have told them if they don't believe it ,it then becomes harassment.
they have no right to search wallets or bags without arresting you.

o some folk want those who are being paid good money to do the ****ing job properly & learn what the laws are.
Once they've asked & you have answered if they don't believe you ,then arrest you.
It is simple,put up or shut up.

No if it kicked off there'd be bodies about , before mine

i just hate jumped up ****ing jobsworth ****s. Especially foreign ones.

& another thing if I've got to put on paper overshoes no one is entering my vehicles without them,mask ,gloves , sanitiser, etc.

If someone actually asked me how much money I was carrying my first answer would always be" wtf has it got to do with you"? As they have no right to ask & nor is there any need for them to know.
If they ask "are you carrying in excess of the 10k" then that is an acceptable question.
After the damage done by french dounes last year id made up my mind this time if any customs wanted to search my vehicle they would be taking me to a proper facility with an English speaking translator and i would be in the van with them.

The mess and damage they did last year was out of order

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
The trouble is coming back to the UK even after tests don't anybody realize they can still bring back the virus and it could, another variant , I find this irresponsible to go abroad in this Pandemic , a lot on here would love to go back to European countries, but we are protecting ourselves and others , and ,don't tell me you are careful, because who knows where the virus is .
Oi, you can't come on here and state the bleedin' obvious ;)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
After the damage done by french dounes last year id made up my mind this time if any customs wanted to search my vehicle they would be taking me to a proper facility with an English speaking translator and i would be in the van with them.

The mess and damage they did last year was out of order
When they arrive with marigolds,torch a big tub of lube and say bend over😳😳
That’s when the damage gets done😂😁

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Must be f-ing wonderful never to be born without any defective genes, nor catch a virus that affects your own immune system which causes it to kill part of your own body, or have cancer that does the same, mustn't it? There are a lot of other people - some much younger than me, who I'd much rather remove from the gene pool, myself. Sadly the one on this thread may have already begat .....

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No it isn't.The requirement is you cannot export more than 10,000€ without a declaration.
You need to read what I wrote correctly before jumping on your soap box, I never said you have to declare anything under the limit but you do if it's over it or risk it being taken if they decide to do a search and find it, this is what I wrote to save you going back to re-read it:
Wrong, it IS his business to find out how much cash you have ... declaring it isn't a problem even if it's over the limit so long as it isn't nefarious but not answering truthfully when asked isn't - if they do a search and undeclared cash is discovered, you could be fined and if they are really snotty they may seize it too so that you have to prove where it came from.

They can ask how much you have .Once. Once you have told them if they don't believe it ,it then becomes harassment.
they have no right to search wallets or bags without arresting you.
If they suspect you haven't answered honestly they can continue searching etc as much as they like they are the ones who control border access and if they have a suspicion that you're telling porkies etc will likely do so, the biggest issue, which you appear happy to approve of is that someone purposely lied to the official!

If someone actually asked me how much money I was carrying my first answer would always be" wtf has it got to do with you"? As they have no right to ask & nor is there any need for them to know.
If they ask "are you carrying in excess of the 10k" then that is an acceptable question.
Not an attitude I'd suggest trying otherwise you'll probably need to start your own crowdfunding page to get people to contribute to your fine!

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Screenshot 2021-03-28 at 08.10.44.png

might not get through without a search

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
the biggest issue, which you appear happy to approve of is that someone purposely lied to the official!
You can't 'lie' to someone asking questions they cannot legally ask.
Not an attitude I'd suggest trying otherwise you'll probably need to start your own crowdfunding page to get people to contribute to your fine!
Why not? I have always been the same and with the same attitude .Please and thank you to start with and we are off on the right foot. Start to get intimidating, abusive and there will only be one winner, me.
To them it is just a job to me it would become personal.
Fine? I'd Never pay one.
Same as the rubber glove question, I've plenty in the van,just remember you'll be going home tonight???

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You can't 'lie' to someone asking questions they cannot legally ask.
Prey tell why it isn't legal for them to ask ...

Why not? I have always been the same and with the same attitude .Please and thank you to start with and we are off on the right foot. Start to get intimidating, abusive and there will only be one winner, me.
To them it is just a job to me it would become personal.
Fine? I'd Never pay one.
Same as the rubber glove question, I've plenty in the van,just remember you'll be going home tonight???
I'm sure the border guards love you :rolleyes: ... they are doing a job so why make it difficult just to try to prove a point that doesn't need proving? Its okay to criticise if they are being rude for the sake of it and only doing an odd check every hour but when they are doing them one after another in quick succession if an arrival is being 'pedantic' it doesn't help the situation for either, nor for other arrivals who are waiting to be checked.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
It really doesn't worry me how long the border control takes or what questions I'm asked as I never have anything to hide or a firm schedule to follow. I'm retired, on holiday, fit, solvent, stress free and my family and loved ones are settled and well. I could live comfortably in the queue for days, fully aware that worse things happen at sea.
I'm only too thankful that I don't have to deal with the many stressed members of the travelling public huffing and puffing and telling me their Rights.
Que sera, sera.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Never had a problem myself in the past
But it was a Friday i crossed last week and had a 2 hour delay at uk customs

Helen Ariel crossed yesterday and never mentioned a delay

But the french customs i was through in 5 minutes
Small delay at uk customs. They were checking everything thoroughly. Also uk customs were the only snotty, negative people we encountered in the whole return process, snidley asking why we were travelling in the middle of a pandemic. Whereas all other border crossings, vets and pharmacies were friendly and polite. Glad we left a day early though as it was very quiet so can't imagine how long the que would be on a busier day.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Small delay at uk customs. They were checking everything thoroughly. Also uk customs were the only snotty, negative people we encountered in the whole return process, snidley asking why we were travelling in the middle of a pandemic.de?
Isn’t that a valid question? Or was it the attitude?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Also uk customs were the only snotty, negative people we encountered in the whole return process, snidley asking why we were travelling in the middle of a pandemic.

I genuinely don't understand why you feel that was that a 'snide' question by 'snotty' staff as presumably they were acting under instructions and you had a valid exemption for travelling during the restrictions.
:unsure:

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Small delay at uk customs. They were checking everything thoroughly. Also uk customs were the only snotty, negative people we encountered in the whole return process, snidley asking why we were travelling in the middle of a pandemic. Whereas all other border crossings, vets and pharmacies were friendly and polite. Glad we left a day early though as it was very quiet so can't imagine how long the que would be on a busier day.
Not the reported way it was said but asking why you were travelling in the middle of a pandemic was a very legitimate question.you clearly haven’t been through passport control going into the States in a non pandemic period!

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Border /immigration officials should be treated with respect ,they cann make your life very very awkward , the country you are going into doesn’t have to let you in . Being British doesn’t give you the right of free passage , you got to obey the rules and conditions of the country you want to visit . The worst border crossing I have been thru was going into USA , Detroit from Canada on a greyhound . The official was very inquisitive 🧐 . Another one I remember well was the one hound a day crossing USA into Canada in the mid west , guy asked me where you from I said Southampton England he said do you know benny hill 😂

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I don't get this reluctance to have the border people do their jobs. Even before we left the EU we used to be regularly stopped and asked to open the trailer in which we carried our m/bike so that they could inspect inside. I am happy in the knowledge that I have nothing to hide and I'm glad that their actions could be stopping illegal immigrants and narcotics from entering the country. Just let them do their jobs and accept it with good grace.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I'd love to be a border guard when those pompous Brits arrive ;)
... be careful what you wish for!😄
When they arrive with marigolds,torch a big tub of lube and say bend over😳😳
That’s when the damage gets done😂😁
:oops:
They have a legal and moral duty to check for illegal immigrants, and much more.

The stiff upper lip British attitude is pathetic in these circumstances.
With you doing the above lubricated check I think they'd need more than a stiff upper lip! :rofl:

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Have been detained in a room in an American airport with wife kids and parents wonder where I was and what was going on, turned out I had the same name and age as a chap they are after😳 they said thank you I said thank you and went of on my holiday, only doing there job and no doubt if I kicked off it would have gone bad for me.

Years ago came back into Heathrow from Singapore with more stuff than was allowed, taken into a room Mrs CC in another, customs bloke said is this all yours as if it is your (then girlfriends) also then we will have to charge you both with fines, fair enough I thought.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I genuinely don't understand why you feel that was that a 'snide' question by 'snotty' staff as presumably they were acting under instructions and you had a valid exemption for travelling during the restrictions.
:unsure:
As i said it was the way it's said snide vs the friendly and nice people we met at other border crossings and if we were leaving i could understand but returning in a motorhome just before the Brexit deadline it's not as though people have a choice at the moment to travel back.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Not the reported way it was said but asking why you were travelling in the middle of a pandemic was a very legitimate question.you clearly haven’t been through passport control going into the States in a non pandemic period!
Yes I've been to America several times never had any unpleasantness.

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
That's a mean looking beast....fancy swapping it for a Spanish registered Hymer plus cash difference.... I'll get more use out of it.....
I'm not very comfy on the GS - my legs are short. I
IMG_20181015_102952.jpg
've one of these - fewer miles than the one pictured here, which I took at the Ducati Museum. It's probably ten years since I've ridden it. On the list for when I retire.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back