NIG claim (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Earlier this year we were robbed while at a Repsol garage just south of Barcelona. As we are stuck in UK at present, waiting to get back to Marjal, decided to ring the claim line a NIG.
Story was we (5er) pulled into a drive through dump station and SWMBO got out and using hand signals helped me align the 5er on top of the grate. She would not, however, “open up the sluices”, so I got out to do so, she was standing next to the passenger door. Then a guy, not Spanish apparently, came up to her and asked something about a tap on the wall, about 3m away. She thought he did not know and stepped over to help but as she did so he did a runner. She did not mention any of this to me at the time and we drove off. Later (70 miles) at the toll she told me about it and discovered her handbag was missing. Now I know all of you would know what had/ was going to happen by the second line of this but we fell for it at the time. The guys “mate” jumped in, opened door and away with her handbag. I did not see or hear (remember the sluices) a thing.

Passports, CC’s, spare keys for Navara and 5er, phone PDA etc, total claim £700 not including passport replacements at £300 (not covered).

Result from NIG, no. “You did not adequately secure your vehicle”, i.e. lock the door.
OK pretty valid reason and if I had not locked it when paying for gas or walked any distance from the unit etc fair enough, but I was in contact with the vehicle and believed my wife was at the door. BTW I was on the same side as her but had my back turned. Theft by deception I guess.
Any ideas or should it just be harsh lesson well and truly learned?
JK

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi Mate,, thought you would of got away by now.. :Sad:

Think you will find you`ve got a hard fight on your hands re your insurance,,

Your supposed in insurance company`s eyes to lock/secure doors as soon as you alight from any vehicle. irellevant of how far you are away from the door/s.

But wish you luck.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Jackomet, sorry to hear that. I think NIG are being mean-spirited. This is certainly not a good advert for them. You were there with the motorhome! Its not like you left it in a carpark unlocked which is what those locked and secure clauses are there to protect the insurance company against. I would not let it rest, write to the boss, and if you get no joy, take it further. Maybe point them to this thread as well:Smile:

That said....
Handbags are magnets for thieves, they are so convenient and an easy way to carry valuables and because of this the toe-rags know that most handbags are worth stealing. Many people lose everything when a single handbag is stolen. This will ruin your holiday. Passports, keys, cash, credit cards etc. I do hope you had stuff spread around so it didn't ruin your holiday. Ideally cash and cards should be split between all the people with an emergency card stashed where only you can find it in the motorhome.

Advert:Smile: As readers of the Link Removed know, this is a common distraction crime but is also one of the easiest crimes to prevent. Should Funsters who follow the advice within the handbook, even if they are distracted, get robbed exactly like this, they would not lose anything at all and rather than have a spoiled holiday they probably have a fit of the giggles::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jackomet
Nov 10, 2008
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Yep Maurice still here, have booked/re-booked on Easyjet 3 days in a row and each time, up until 2 hours to take off, they are "scheduled", then they cancel. So 3 trips to Gatwick and back, lucily we only live 12 miles away. I wonder if they are using the "weather" bit to help fill up the odd plane that does fly! Bit anoyed that I am also paying €18/night for the site at Marjal I'm not bloody using. Still the electric is cheap, unless some sleazy git is hooked up to mine.

Jim, yep I'm giving it a try, why not got plenty of time as I/we spend 10 months of the year traveling around Spain/Europe etc. So it did not actually spoil a "holiday", made me grind my teeth for a couple of weeks though.
Thanks to both
JK

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Really sorry to here about your experiences and the shabby way the insurance company are treating you, I do hope you get it sorted in your favour.

Just another point does your insurance company allow you to leave your vehicle in Spain or anywhere else for that matter while you return home, only i tried to find a company that would allow this without any success.

All the best

johnnerontheroad

Free Member
Dec 11, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
JK,

Have you tried to claim on your home insurance you should be covered for possessions away from home?

Good Luck

Dave

Last edited:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
The vehicle insurance company will of expected you to take out seperate personal insurance which should, cover for theft of documents,phones,cameras, illness etc. Similar happened to me a few years ago and i was actually loading the car at the time, in the time it took to turn around pick the next item up and turn back stuff had gone walkabout, I didnt have to move more than a pace or two from the vehicle to do do what i was doing, the stuff was being brought out for me to pack.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Really sorry to hear about your misfortune. Woudnt you just love to get a hold of the scumbags that robbed you. I suppose you would ruin your trip even more if you were to fester on it.

Insurance companies are insurance companies and Iv'e never met one who actually gave a s###.

Do as Jim reccomends and harrass, them you never know.

Cheers

Jim
:Smile:

OP
OP
Jackomet
Nov 10, 2008
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
No the insurance does not cover the 5er being left in Spain.
BUT 1, it's fully alarmed and secure extra locking (also the windows are glass double glazed)
2. If we had been able to stick to our schedual we would have been back before
Old Mo left and he was "keeping an eye on it" i.e. nicking my beer, as was our next door site Alan.
3. Marjal is a pretty secure site, thats why I'm paying long term rate €18/night not using it.
4. Difficult to steal a 5er
6. If it was broken into I feel (after this last caper with NIG) the the date on the claim would tie up with me being back there.

I am still pursuing with NIG and talking to my House insurance and if nothing works out SWMBO goes back on the streets.
JK
Thanks for the comments
p.s. Easyjet just cancelled my flight for today (early so no trip to Gatwick)
Just spent 3 hours clearing the drive and then the bloody gritter truck turned up, I want to go home (to Marjal)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
If we had been able to stick to our schedual we would have been back before
Old Mo left and he was "keeping an eye on it" i.e. nicking my beer, as was our next door site Alan.

Thats it blame me you t**ser,, if I had not broken in and took the beer/eggs/bacon/sausages etc from your fridge the place would have stunk like a rancid goat.. :winky:

And if you had left the electric hooked up and instead of being a tight b*st*rd I would not of needed to break in, in the second place.. :ROFLMAO:

The first place was to have a nose round your drawers and wardrobes,, cheap crappy cloths you buy,, I dunno.. :Blush: ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Jackomet
Nov 10, 2008
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Listen Pal, and I use that term very loosely, if your Judy had not told me that you had this "thing" of going through my good lady's clothes, I would have never given you the overide alarm codes. What you did not realise, however, was that those sausages were plants, well I don't mean plants, they were floor sweepings of what was left over from the Marjal "all you can eat" Saturday BBQ stuffed in a cats large intestine. So I hope you enjoyed them. But I want my €2/gallon wine back when I next see you.
JK

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp