Nicking motorhome Parts - BE AWARE (1 Viewer)

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
We caught a man with an irish accent attempting to steal the number plate from the front of our motorhome today.

Police unfortunately let us down.

He had an accomplice who was parked in a vehicle further down the road

Dont know yet whether the registration number is also nicked or stolen but keep your eyes out for this vehicle registration number if you are in the London / Essex Area.

VK57EMF

bmb1uk

Free Member
Jan 1, 2010
LEICS
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We caught a man with an irish accent attempting to steal the number plate from the front of our motorhome today.

Dont know yet whether the registration number is also nicked or stolen but keep your eyes out for this vehicle registration number if you are in the London / Essex Area.

VK57EMF

To busy manning speed cameras :Angry:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
To busy manning speed cameras :Angry:

But then if 90% of motorists didn't drive at grossly excessive speeds then speed cameras would cease to bring an any revenue and become redundant.

Unfortunately they are there because of the moronic motorists.

I know I've heard it a million times before - when caught doing 60 mph in a 30 mph it was just a momentary lapse of concentration.

When are speeding motorists going to stop whinging when caught.

This is a general comment and is not intended to suggest that bmb1Uk is one of those guilty of persistent speeding.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Unfortunately you have an older vehicle which is a real target for theives - its' easier to steal (no immobiliser) and less likely to have a tracker fitted.

Though on this occassion, they were just after your plate - it is probably because they have nicked one that they wish to clone with yours. Good spotting on stopping it happening - but may be a good idea if you look into security........if they have stolen a similar model, then there is obviously a demand for them, so make sure yours will not be on their shopping list!

Warning to anyone - moreso those with older vehicles - really lock them down tight!! If it means wheel clamps, steering locks, and security locks everywhere so be it - the harder it looks to steal, the more likely they are to go elsewhere.....

You can buy shear bolts for number plates too - or just rivet them on!

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Shear bolts or rivets are no match for anyone armed with a cordless drill :Sad:

If you want number plate security you need to buy the theft proof sort from the DVLA that cannot be removed without destroying them, they are not cheap however :cry:

OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Unfortunately you have an older vehicle which is a real target for theives - its' easier to steal (no immobiliser) and less likely to have a tracker fitted.

Though on this occassion, they were just after your plate - it is probably because they have nicked one that they wish to clone with yours. Good spotting on stopping it happening - but may be a good idea if you look into security........if they have stolen a similar model, then there is obviously a demand for them, so make sure yours will not be on their shopping list!

Warning to anyone - moreso those with older vehicles - really lock them down tight!! If it means wheel clamps, steering locks, and security locks everywhere so be it - the harder it looks to steal, the more likely they are to go elsewhere.....

You can buy shear bolts for number plates too - or just rivet them on!

Thanks remember they already had the front off last year xxxx

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
We have a tag axle "Delfin" parked down our road at the moment. Parked by 2 guys yesterday who left in a car. MH has trade plates, but is a 57 model.
The neighbours became concerned as nobody knew who owned it & parking spaces are at a premium, so they contacted the police who are on the case & trying to trace the owner or trader.:RollEyes:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
He will be a little red faced if he has left his trade plates in there - meant to be locked away every night, and never left on a vehicle!

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
One plate is on the dash , but the rear tade plate is fixed over the rear vehicle plate - just held on by glorified bubber bands aren't they ? :RollEyes:

We have a travelling fair in the neighbourhood, so lots of strange things tend to go on :Sad:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
The one on the dash will be the one with the tax on it (little triangle on top) - it basically taxes any vehicle it is in, and proves insurance on MID database.

They are meant to be used for transporting a vehicle from a-b, both points being off road - ie forecourt/garage, or on a test drive - not to be used for parking a vehicle, or for using long term. He will have some explaining if the police are involved!

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Have sympathy for me with the light fingered lookers on the forecourt, we are always missing something off a van that has walked.

I dread to think of the shrinkage in the shop.

Peter

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Have sympathy for me with the light fingered lookers on the forecourt, we are always missing something off a van that has walked.

I dread to think of the shrinkage in the shop.

Peter

That explains why half the door knobs are missing on sales forecourts! - never thought people would be so tight!!

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.

VK57EMF

Why would someone want to steal a numberplate?
Am i just having a blond moment ?
Cant you just go and buy one from Charlie Browns or somewhere similar? Or do you have to have log books etc to prove its yours? Never had to replace one before.
I hope you've got your MH locked up tightly. Though if they already have the other plate ( Which they took last year ) they may have already got what they wanted .

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Yes you need your log book and licence to get a number plate these days, Theives stole the plates of my mums car whilst it was at a garage for repair a couple of years ago. They put them on similar cars that they have stolen (to either sell the vehicle on or use it in a robbery), We reported it and the garage got replacement plates for it but she was stopped a few times by the police who wanted to check the car out as it had 'stolen numberplates' on.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Showplates are easily ordered and used on all my tow vehicles.

navman

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
Why would someone want to steal a numberplate?
Am i just having a blond moment ?
Cant you just go and buy one from Charlie Browns or somewhere similar? Or do you have to have log books etc to prove its yours? Never had to replace one before.
I hope you've got your MH locked up tightly. Though if they already have the other plate ( Which they took last year ) they may have already got what they wanted .

Lots of plates get nicked... You should not be able to get a set made up without the registration document nowadays ( I think ).

Once they have them they can be used by the crims ( won't go into too much detail as you don't know who is looking :) ) but simples if you think about it.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
A number plate is no longer just a plate!

Due to ANPR and the MID database, no longer come someone get away with travelling without tax/insurance/licence.....let alone a stolen one!

So they take the plate off a vehicle that is on the road - and the ANPR is none the wiser, so long as it is the same make of vehicle. It just means they can slip by the police - this is why plate theft is on the increase!

There are a number of security devices around - but in order to pursuade them to go eslewhere, it is not about making it tamper proof - it's about making it more difficult or noisey. So shears or rivets usually suffice. Anything that will stop them attempting theft, as they won't want to use noisey tools or make a racket getting them off, when they can just unscrew someone elses!

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Hang on one cotton picking moment!

oldun:"But then if 90% of motorists didn't drive at grossly excessive speeds then speed cameras would cease to bring an any revenue and become redundant."

From me, another oldun:-

If 90% of motorists exceed the speed limits, and road accidents are not soaring, it shows the limits are too low, not that motorists are driving dangerously.

Please, oldun, you'll give all us olduns a bad name if we moan about the younguns doing what we used to do!!! (like taking a full race Porsche 904 round the Maidstone bypass at 140 mph on the day the 70 mph limit was introduced, just for the hell of it.)

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I must admit, whilst on the autobahns i did not see many hold ups if any due to accidents........in the UK you can't get anywhere!

Maybe faster speeds, and better road manners are in order?

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Showplates are easily ordered and used on all my tow vehicles.

Not any more, it is now illegal to supply "show" plates and anyone caught doing so can be fined £5k :Eeek:. The new laws state that if the number plate is issued by the DVLA then it must be legal in all respects. :winky:

john and carole

Free Member
May 8, 2008
brierfield lancs
Funster No
MH
american rv
Exp
just started
Round our way lots of number plates are stolen and put on another motor, and then they fill up with petrol and drive off with out paying.With the price of fuel it,s no wonder they do it(not condoning there actions).

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Well spotted, Gail! Thank goodness you managed to catch them.
Most people are honest but the rest who aren't leave a nasty taste.
Lucille

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
no plate

we were traveling around scotland a couple of years ago and pulled onto caravan site they asked our reg no as it was no longer on the back of mhome don t know how it came off but we suspected it had been pulled off for some reason prob to get petrol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back