sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I see it now Jon, apologies (also for incorrect spelling). Competitors? Morelo, Concorde, Phoenix etc? (I do not include STX or Vario for example as they are all la carte production) If so they (C,M,P) do not do Ducato. It is interesting how both NiBi and Carthago have both retracted from the >7.49 chassis, indeed Carthago no longer even make their HiLines which were on the Daily. Perhaps they see their markets as more of a mass one at the lower end? Not describing either "lower end" in the quality sense of the statement. NiBI currently produce, what, 550 + units, Morelo 300+, Concorde have been reducing their annual production I have read, to focus on resolving quality control issues. It would be good to have a seminar with them all talking about their vision of the market going forward.
M

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Michael. My point is that you can no longer buy an N&B on a truck Chassis. Unlike their competitors.

Jon
But they are all pulling away from the truck chassis vehicles and I don't think that N+B will ever go back, Concorde don't offer it on a Charisma anymore and indeed they have started to introduce the Daily into the Centurion market with two new floorplans, Morelo have dropped truck on the Palace range and now only on the Liner, I guess the costs of developing the truck variant can not be justified against the sales figures.

I am waiting to see if N+B will get on board with the new Mercedes chassis for the Arto.

Martin

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Maybe sales are dropping because people reaching that time of life no longer have automatic driving license entitlement and it's easier to buy something they don't have to take an extra test for, just a thought.

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Martin, the debate inevitably links to the increasing demand for car garages in the back and slide outs. (The latter will be inevitable if you take the US market as a template) Both higher end features but more importantly high payload consumers leading to both needing truck chassis to deliver in reality.
So will we see a clear delineation between upmarket, high end, call them what you will manufacturers and the mass market.
Do manufacturers choose volume over status?
I think it's a wonderful debate to be had, and I for one appreciate any insights.

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Maybe sales are dropping because people reaching that time of life no longer have automatic driving license entitlement and it's easier to buy something they don't have to take an extra test for, just a thought.
A very good proposition, which I confess had not crossed my mind and extremely valid in my opinion.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I had a conversation with N+B a couple of years ago along the lines of "it would be great if you could find a bit more kitchen space" their response was "why should we bother when we can see all the vans we make now" fair point of course and the same would apply to chassis variants.

Martin

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

Thats a factor but many of the truck chassis MH are over 7490 anyway. Its possibly more of an indictment on the short-term future of the german economy.

I do get how producing on one platform has a big cost advantage. The current Daily chassis is very good but it does have its limitations.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
But that is the divide between 3500kg and 7500kg vans surely, truck chassis variants that jongood wants to see have always been the preserve of people who have taken the extra "truck test" I don't doubt though that the scenario you describe will start to hit the over 3500kg vans in years to come so then does that mean that some people will decide to take a test and possibly even leapfrog right over the 7500kg limit and start demanding the higher rated chassis again.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thats a factor but many of the truck chassis MH are over 7490 anyway. Its possibly more of an indictment on the short-term future of the german economy.

I do get how producing on one platform has a big cost advantage. The current Daily chassis is very good but it does have its limitations.
I am not really convinced that the truck chassis works at 7500kg Jon, OK if you are happy to claim your 5% allowance it could be workable but for me at sub 7495kg it is tight though and most configurations that would be on heavy chassis would be well over 7500kg anyway.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Didn't I read that Morelo were taking the Daily to over 8000kg?

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well it's just a chassis with bits of metal and a few bearings so of course it's not rocket science to beef all that up but there must come a point where they ask themselves if the 3 litre block is man enough for the task so then they could beef that up but they would then be standing on the toes of their own truck chassis so can't see them going that far, I suppose it would just help the likes of Concorde and Morelo by streamlining a few of their car garage models onto the same chassis as now but without weight issues.

Martin

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Well it's just a chassis with bits of metal and a few bearings so of course it's not rocket science to beef all that up but there must come a point where they ask themselves if the 3 litre block is man enough for the task so then they could beef that up but they would then be standing on the toes of their own truck chassis so can't see them going that far, I suppose it would just help the likes of Concorde and Morelo by streamlining a few of their car garage models onto the same chassis as now but without weight issues.

Martin

So you make the chassis a bit beefier, you up the brakes and suspension which means you need bigger wheels and the its all getting a bit heavy so its needs a bigger engine which then puts the gearbox under pressure - and then you realise that you re competing with your own Eurocargo.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Re the latest "innovation" in clip above , what is it achieving ? There is actually no more space than just having a door on the cupboard , and is heavier and more costly to build . All it is doing is moving the intrusion from one side of the alcove to the other . Vorsprung durch technik NOT :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back