NFU insurance countries covered (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just looking around for insurance on our van and thought it would be interesting to get a quote from NFU as they will extend cover to higher value vehicles than our current insurer SAGA, just in case we ever find anything we want;)

Well the price we thought was OK at £265 unlimited glass etc etc BUT the big surprise was when the small print showed that Croatia was only covered on a Third party only basis. Anybody with NFU and did you realise this?

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I noticed that, I messaged them via their website before Christmas never received a reply. Keep meaning to ring them but not got around to it.
The policy booklet on the Motorhome page is actually a car policy, I do wonder if no one has updated the downloads as Croatia was one of the last countries to join the EU.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
No didn’t realise this
Are they allowed to do this as Croatia is EU.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Can if they want it's only 3rd party cover they have to provide under EU law. Directline only give 3 days full cover for any EU country any more you have to pay for.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I’ve emailed my local branch to ask

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I noticed that, I messaged them via their website before Christmas never received a reply. Keep meaning to ring them but not got around to it.
The policy booklet on the Motorhome page is actually a car policy, I do wonder if no one has updated the downloads as Croatia was one of the last countries to join the EU.
It was on screen in the office and also a booklet, and yes it just says car policy on the booklet.

Martin

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Can if they want it's only 3rd party cover they have to provide under EU law. Directline only give 3 days full cover for any EU country any more you have to pay for.
No that's not correct. They have to provide exactly what you have as coverage in your own country. Where the EU went wrong was in then adding
" but companies in each state can make a charge to extend it if they so wish" & Which the UK companies do by charging for same coverage in other states ,otherwise it reverts to the tPf&t usually.
Elsewhere ,like here, the coverage is EU wide no exceptions including Bosnia-Hertzogovinia,Russia, & Morocco.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Just looking around for insurance on our van and thought it would be interesting to get a quote from NFU as they will extend cover to higher value vehicles than our current insurer SAGA, just in case we ever find anything we want;)

Well the price we thought was OK at £265 unlimited glass etc etc BUT the big surprise was when the small print showed that Croatia was only covered on a Third party only basis. Anybody with NFU and did you realise this?

Martin
No I did not Martin, and I have ferries booked for Croatia in April? So on the phone next week, unless @Robert Clark comes up with something.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Have they started covering motorhomes again new business they had stopped taking on new motorhome customers.
BILL

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Have they started covering motorhomes again new business they had stopped taking on new motorhome customers.
BILL
We they quoted us and would take a cheque if we choose to take app their offer, so I guess the answer is YES.

Martin

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We they quoted us and would take a cheque if we choose to take app their offer, so I guess the answer is YES.

Martin

A Cheque?? How cutting edge is that!

Just renewed ours with Saga, its just crept over £300 this year, still a good deal for an A Class 8000pa but 12 years NCD and shropshire post code probably help.

The only issue Ive had with them is that they wouldn't cover Bosnia.

Jon

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
BUT the big surprise was when the small print showed that Croatia was only covered on a Third party only basis.

Martin,

Is it just Croatia that has this caveat applied or are there other countries stipulated too.

Cheers,

Andrew

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Martin,

Is it just Croatia that has this caveat applied or are there other countries stipulated too.

Cheers,

Andrew

This list is under the heading of cover that is restricted to "liability to the public" in other words "third party only"

IMG_1325.JPG

Martin

Last edited:
OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
A Cheque?? How cutting edge is that!

Just renewed ours with Saga, its just crept over £300 this year, still a good deal for an A Class 8000pa but 12 years NCD and shropshire post code probably help.

The only issue Ive had with them is that they wouldn't cover Bosnia.

Jon
Sorry Jon I used "cheque" as a very loose term to indicate "accept payment".

We are happy with the price and they will cover vans of a value that make some companies wince.

Martin

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I was surprised that you had app and cheque in the same paragraph.

I would have been OK with third party coverage in Bosnia but saga flat out refused cover.

How are NFU with Morocco Martin @funflair Can you upgrade? how long can you go for?

saga is good with Morocco 3 months green card FOC

Jon

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I was surprised that you had app and cheque in the same paragraph.

I would have been OK with third party coverage in Bosnia but saga flat out refused cover.

How are NFU with Morocco Martin @funflair Can you upgrade? how long can you go for?

saga is good with Morocco 3 months green card FOC

Jon

Jon

"App" should read "up" of course, if they only cover "third party" my understanding was that they would not offer extra cover, so there does seem to be a couple of big holes in their policy cover.

Martin

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
So I have written to NFU to find out options to cover me in Croatia on my existing policy and comprehensive level. Glad to see Slovenia is covered to cover that bit!
In the meantime in case the NFU do not come up trumps and I do feel confident they will find a way baring in mind that they sorted my VIN cover without grief, what are options for high value MH that include Croatia?

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So I have written to NFU to find out options to cover me in Croatia on my existing policy and comprehensive level. Glad to see Slovenia is covered to cover that bit!
In the meantime in case the NFU do not come up trumps and I do feel confident they will find a way baring in mind that they sorted my VIN cover without grief, what are options for high value MH that include Croatia?
In an ideal world NFU would realign their cover to match the competition, fingers crossed. Keep us posted what you contact says Michael.

Martin

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Just heard back from NFU

Comprehensive Motorhome cover includes Croatia

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just heard back from NFU

Comprehensive Motorhome cover includes Croatia
Hi Robert

That's great BUT not what the paperwork says third party so which one should we believe, going into the office today(y)

Can I assume that your Motorhome cover is actually just the "car" policy

IMG_1326.jpg

Martin

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Robert

That's great BUT not what the paperwork says third party so which one should we believe, going into the office today(y)

Can I assume that your Motorhome cover is actually just the "car" policy

View attachment 206965

Martin
I just got a further update

We provide the compulsory motor insurance requirements for certain countries, of which Croatia is one. This could well mean that it is just third party cover, if that is the compulsory minimum requirement.

We would not be to extend that cover, so you would need to check with the relevant authorities etc as to what your options might be. E.g you may be able to buy the cover in Croatia, or in advance of your trip. I'm afraid I don’t know.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
So if they won't cover Croatia not much chance of Montenegro or Albania then. I would have thought they would have been able to issue Green Card.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I just got a further update

We provide the compulsory motor insurance requirements for certain countries, of which Croatia is one. This could well mean that it is just third party cover, if that is the compulsory minimum requirement.

We would not be to extend that cover, so you would need to check with the relevant authorities etc as to what your options might be. E.g you may be able to buy the cover in Croatia, or in advance of your trip. I'm afraid I don’t know.
Thanks Robert it seems like a glaring gap in their cover though.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back