NFU insurance countries covered (2 Viewers)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
We need to find somebody who covers high value vans AND offers full cover in Croatia and new-for-old replacement upto 2 years
Yes and Yes and Yes. This is my response today:

Thank you for your query regarding your motor home insurance cover. Your policy does provide cover for Croatia however this is on a Third Party Only basis. The restriction of cover in a country is no reflection on the political system or social stability of that country. We have no infrastructure support in these countries to deal with comprehensive claims to the same standard we aspire to in the UK.

Unfortunately we have no ability to extend the cover to Comprehensive. We appreciate you have already booked your holiday, I have taken sometime to browse the internet for you and I believe the majority of companies work on a similar basis as ourselves. Below I have attached the contact details for the British Insurance Brokers Association who hold details for all insurance providers in the Uk and may be able to offer further help and guidance.

If the British Insurance Brokers Association can help and provide you with another policy that can provide comprehensive cover in Croatia please let me know and I can arrange the cancellation and appropriate refund on your existing policy. As standard we hold no administration or cancellation fees.

So I need a solution guys, anyone have cover as Robert describes?

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Anybody with Comfort? they do cover Croatia "fully comp" but not sure of their maximum value, possibly up to £150k but not sure.

We have just renewed again with SAGA and Croatia is fully covered and the girl said Morocco needed a green card and was then "fully comp" but £75k max value, possibly a touch more if you twisted the underwriters arm but still not enough.

Martin

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I can't imagine Comfort would provide the cover you describe. They had an issue with mileage per annum and value of the vehicle when I looked for cover.

We had anticipated travelling to Croatia and wouldn't have thought to check the cover so really pleased that this issue has come up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This is from Comfort's policy:

upload_2018-1-15_13-22-48.png

From other threads on fun they now charge a lot more for a Green Card for Marocco I think it is £23.50 per week plus £20 admin charge, I assume it will be similar for other non EU countries.
Another point with NFU as it is a car policy. Do they cover gas explosion & awnings which are covered under proper Motorhome policies?

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
This is from Comfort's policy:

View attachment 206989

From other threads on fun they now charge a lot more for a Green Card for Marocco I think it is £23.50 per week plus £20 admin charge, I assume it will be similar for other non EU countries.
Another point with NFU as it is a car policy. Do they cover gas explosion & awnings which are covered under proper Motorhome policies?
Lenny did they cover you on the VIN from the dealer too? And do they dislike hi value vans?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We need to find somebody who covers high value vans AND offers full cover in Croatia and new-for-old replacement upto 2 years
Standard here.Not a lot of use to you in UK though. Although there is one UK company that trades here but I would assume you'd have to have a spanish address to be able to use it ? Abbeygate just remembered the name.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny did they cover you on the VIN from the dealer too? And do they dislike hi value vans?
No, they will only cover UK registered vans. Vans over £40k have to have either an alarm or tracker, over £75k a tracker. Don't know about an upper limit, I scrapped in under £75k as I insured it for what I paid for it. From other Funsters posts apparently they now ask you to insure for the list price and one Funster said he was asked this on renewal, hence why I was looking at NFU as I don't really want a tracker.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
No, they will only cover UK registered vans. Vans over £40k have to have either an alarm or tracker, over £75k a tracker. Don't know about an upper limit, I scrapped in under £75k as I insured it for what I paid for it. From other Funsters posts apparently they now ask you to insure for the list price and one Funster said he was asked this on renewal, hence why I was looking at NFU as I don't really want a tracker.
So I seem to remember that your dealer drives it to the tunnel for you, what did you do in the UK without a plate?. Not sure why I am fixating on this as its only a once in a blue moon thing. But then so is going to Croatia.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
So I seem to remember that your dealer drives it to the tunnel for you, what did you do in the UK without a plate?. Not sure why I am fixating on this as its only a once in a blue moon thing. But then so is going to Croatia.
Last van I used NFU then cancelled when it was registered as they were twice the price of Comfort, this van used Safeguard then went back to Comfort.
Was thinking about chagingto NFU if Comfort are starting to insist vans are insured for list price. I was looking to see if NFU covered Montenegro & Albania as we are thinking of going there and saw that Croatia wasn't covered.
I wonder how many people have driven in Croatia thinking they were fully insured I know Robert has.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Last van I used NFU then cancelled when it was registered as they were twice the price of Comfort, this van used Safeguard then went back to Comfort.
Was thinking about chagingto NFU if Comfort are starting to insist vans are insured for list price. I was looking to see if NFU covered Montenegro & Albania as we are thinking of going there and saw that Croatia wasn't covered.
I wonder how many people have driven in Croatia thinking they were fully insured I know Robert has.
Just spoken to comfort and they do want list price, so I had to give them mine raw, she explained that this was because they insured the vehicle up to 3 years old and less than 15k as a new replacement if a write off.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Dont forget Comfort have started charging for a green card to places such as Morocco as one or two members on here have recently discovered. Still free with Safeguard.

NFU's policy is basically car insurance and they will not recover vehicles over 3.5ton. See 9 below.

What is not insured – Mutual Assist, National Assist and National plus Home Assist
WE will not pay for assistance where the VEHICLE:

1. is stranded in mud, snow, sand or water unless this is as a direct result of impact, collision or overturning of the VEHICLE.
  2. has been modi ed for or is taking part in racing, trials or rallying.
Or pay for:
  1. any parts, lubricants, uids or fuel needed to restore the VEHICLE’s mobility.
  2. any liability or indirect loss resulting from carrying out the cover provided by this service.
  3. any cost recoverable under any other policy of insurance or under the service provided by any motoring organisation.
6. any claim arising when the VEHICLE is:

a) carrying more passengers or towing a greater weight than for which the VEHICLE was designed, or

b) driven unreasonably or on unsuitable terrain.

7. expenses that would have been incurred normally on the journey.

8. any MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN, which could have been avoided but was caused deliberately, by YOU.

any VEHICLE 3500kg gross vehicle weight or over, or longer than 5.5 metres in length.

10.MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN caused by an inadequate or attempted repair carried out during the same journey unless WE had authorised the repair.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Just spoken to comfort and they do want list price, so I had to give them mine raw, she explained that this was because they insured the vehicle up to 3 years old and less than 15k as a new replacement if a write off.
They never used to do that and they state on their Policy they won't pay out more than the value you have declared, so if you insure it for less they aren't going to replace the vehicale if it costs them more. A way of getting more money out of you especially as 15K in 3 years is ridiculously low.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Dont forget Comfort have started charging for a green card to places such as Morocco as one or two members on here have recently discovered. Still free with Safeguard.

NFU's policy is basically car insurance and they will not recover vehicles over 3.5ton. See 9 below.

What is not insured – Mutual Assist, National Assist and National plus Home Assist
WE will not pay for assistance where the VEHICLE:

1. is stranded in mud, snow, sand or water unless this is as a direct result of impact, collision or overturning of the VEHICLE.
  2. has been modi ed for or is taking part in racing, trials or rallying.
Or pay for:
  1. any parts, lubricants, uids or fuel needed to restore the VEHICLE’s mobility.
  2. any liability or indirect loss resulting from carrying out the cover provided by this service.
  3. any cost recoverable under any other policy of insurance or under the service provided by any motoring organisation.
6. any claim arising when the VEHICLE is:

a) carrying more passengers or towing a greater weight than for which the VEHICLE was designed, or

b) driven unreasonably or on unsuitable terrain.

7. expenses that would have been incurred normally on the journey.

8. any MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN, which could have been avoided but was caused deliberately, by YOU.

any VEHICLE 3500kg gross vehicle weight or over, or longer than 5.5 metres in length.

10.MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN caused by an inadequate or attempted repair carried out during the same journey unless WE had authorised the repair.
Dont forget Safeguard do not insure what they call high value vehicles!

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Well unfortunately ours is knocking on a bit now, but we had it insured for £50k when we first bought it new to us five years ago.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back