next silly question.. windows (1 Viewer)

herecomesbod

Free Member
Mar 28, 2012
isle of wight
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie!!
ok.. so far so good.. getting more knowledge by the minute !!!
the sliding plastic windows are stiff and stick. as with most things on this MH, due to lack of use more then anything!!
a friend mentioned using some 'something 85' spray?? but i cant remember what it was called or what it is!!!

also is there anything i can use on the windows to stop them being so brittle?
thanks again... i am luuurving this forum !!! x

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you could try a little silicon spray on the window runners...DONT use WD40....it contains a solvent and will attack the plastic window.

nothing you can do about the brittleness...sunlight and age will have taken a toll.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sorry, but your mate is wrong, dont use gt85 on the windows, it will damage them. Best thing is to strip them down and thoroughly clean them with soapy water. you may find the rubbers stick to the acrylic and will need to gently peel them free. once the windows are clean and dry put a bit of talc on the rubbers to stop them sticking

Sorry but nothing can be done about brittle acrylic, the sun has done its worst and it cant be undone

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
what about old fashioned bees wax applied on the runners? we bought a product that takes out all those ice rink lines that show up lovely in the sunlight. doesn't help the brittle problem i know, but at least they will look nice but brittle! :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
All the above are good but you can also try LIP BALM :whatthe: it will lubricate and not harm the windows also use it on the rubber seals :thumb: again lubricates and stops them perishing
terry

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
you could try a little silicon spray on the window runners...DONT use WD40....it contains a solvent and will attack the plastic window.

nothing you can do about the brittleness...sunlight and age will have taken a toll.

Me too silicone spray from LIDL.....or just try a candle...just rub the candle along the track lightly

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
All the above are good but you can also try LIP BALM :whatthe: it will lubricate and not harm the windows also use it on the rubber seals :thumb: again lubricates and stops them perishing
terry

Not sure but I think lip balm has petroleum Jelly, Vaseline in it, yes I would think very good and easy, Vaseline lubricates many things I have read:winky: we always used it on electrical contacts in large isolating boxes:thumb:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Not sure but I think lip balm has petroleum Jelly, Vaseline in it, yes I would think very good and easy, Vaseline lubricates many things I have read:winky: we always used it on electrical contacts in large isolating boxes:thumb:

Believe me it works :thumb: I spent a lot of yrs in double glazing and along with silicon spray lip balm was highly recommended for gaskets
terry

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back