Newie and no idea what's what (1 Viewer)

Drbella

Free Member
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello,
Looks like a great forum. I'm just back from a USA road trip in a Ram Dodge Roadtrek 190 - great machine. Does anyone know if there's a UK equivalent in terms of size and versatility?
Many thanks
Isabelle

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
They pop up over here from time to time

You will find them over here from time to time. Gold RV down in Hampshire is the uK agent for them.... a similar vehicle is the Pleasureway.. and Great West.... the Roadtrek comes in 19',20' and 21' in slightly different layouts.

If you want a small yank .. I have a 23'3" for sale on ebay, Preloved and also Gumtree.

I have owned a couple of RAM vans over the years.. great items.. just wished the electric bed was a little wider... the Great West does do one with a slide out where the bed is so it is wider.

They are very expensive to buy in the USA and hold there prices.

Bob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
for those that do not know

For those that do not know...

Roadtrek (made in Canada) and Pleasureway are small campers on the Dodge and GMC and Ford chassis.. the bulk of the van is kept, but dependent on model a new back is grafted on in fibreglass... they are in effect a two person van and the rock and roll 3 part settee is used or they have a coupl of long singles or a double that can be made up... most have an air con in the main roof and a small generator in the chassis black and grey tanks... toilet depends on the model .. small cooing range area where the double side doors are (often removed on the one's that have a graft back)... most are single rear wheel drive, but have seen the odd double back wheel... normally around a 5.9 V8 engine... captain chairs up front.

Around $100k or more new and seem to keep there prices in the USA. The odd one turns up in the UK.. as said in a previous post Great west did a turtle top (not very attractive in my view) but had a small pop out (slide out)... Ideal weekender... size wise they are fairly easy to park.. bit like my RV.... Parts are easy to get for the base vehicles.

Bob

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Drbella,and welcome :thumb:the only problem with the ram vans is the same as all yanks -they have great big gas guzzling engines which means they are harder to sell in this country :Smile:Try looking at panel van conversions as hilldweller has said or if you can do without shower and loo take a look at http://www.wellhouseleisure.com/ type conversions,both types hold value better than the yanks and are easyier to sell :winky:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
no air con, no generator etc., etc.,

Hi Drbella,and welcome :thumb:the only problem with the ram vans is the same as all yanks -they have great big gas guzzling engines which means they are harder to sell in this country :Smile:Try looking at panel van conversions as hilldweller has said or if you can do without shower and loo take a look at http://www.wellhouseleisure.com/ type conversions,both types hold value better than the yanks and are easyier to sell :winky:
terry

Terry has a vested interest in panel vans and as he builds his own he cannot see the wood for the tree's:winky:

UK panel vans do not have chassis generators, airconditioners in the habitation area, do not have holding tanks for black and grey or the many things that yanks have.... while I accept they are harder to sell, they are sell much better than a converted van in the UK... You have used one, so it is not a hard sell.. compare what you have used and what is on offer over here and it becomes a no contest.

For the miles you do in the UK you will find the fuel is not the issue.. never has been to the yank owners, just an issue to those that own euroboxes.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Plus you can always have a yank petrol engine converted to LPG.

If you need any pointers you can always p.m. me.... I have owned yanks for 28 years now... only one euro-box and one caravan and never again. Oh parts are dead easy to get in the UK...

I needed a calliper a couple weeks back 36 hours from time of the call for recover to the time it was back on the drive including the over night parcel with the calliper.... try that with a european van conversion.

Bob:RollEyes:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry has a vested interest in panel vans and as he builds his own he cannot see the wood for the tree's:winky:

UK panel vans do not have chassis generators, airconditioners in the habitation area, do not have holding tanks for black and grey or the many things that yanks have.... while I accept they are harder to sell, they are sell much better than a converted van in the UK... You have used one, so it is not a hard sell.. compare what you have used and what is on offer over here and it becomes a no contest.

For the miles you do in the UK you will find the fuel is not the issue.. never has been to the yank owners, just an issue to those that own euroboxes.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Plus you can always have a yank petrol engine converted to LPG.

If you need any pointers you can always p.m. me.... I have owned yanks for 28 years now... only one euro-box and one caravan and never again. Oh parts are dead easy to get in the UK...

I needed a calliper a couple weeks back 36 hours from time of the call for recover to the time it was back on the drive including the over night parcel with the calliper.... try that with a european van conversion.

Bob:RollEyes:
Hi Drbella,Bob's talking twaddle again :Doh: Yes I do do self builds ie for my self ::bigsmile:As you are a newby the last thing I would recomend you to buy is a self built van unless you have a very limited budget or just want a basic van :thumb:(mine is neither- Link Removed )As things stand a PVC from a mainstream converter may well suit your needs and they hold there prices very well :thumb: As such you would not loose thousands if you decided to sell aftera short time.
At the moment the yank vans are having a rough time in the UK simply because most people are aware of the cost of fuel and around 12 mpg is not a desireable thing hence they are taking big hits on price which unless things change they will IMO carry on doing so :Eeek:If you fancy a big Yank then there are some bargains to be had but you must do your home work on them as you could easy loose thousands on them.Indeed (don't tell Bob I said this::bigsmile:)Bobs van is quite small for a yank and has a lot of goodies for the price and if I was interested in a Yank I would have a good look around it,as well as a few more :winky: Remember BoB IS JUST COMMING TO REALISE that the market place is small for thirsty (even though very well specded )vans :Smile:so come sale time in a year or two you may well be stuck with one or take a even bigger loss than you think.On the flip side euro vans tend to hold there prices so after the couple of years tend not to loose as much ::bigsmile:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back