Newhaven Ferry Line safe for five years (1 Viewer)

Box Boy

Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Globecar Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Just been announced the French Government award from the 1st January 2018 of a five year contract to DFDS ferries. The public subsidy awarded cost 20 million Euros.
The annual number of crossings between Newhaven and Dieppe will remain at 1.690 with the timetable largely remaining the same.
It has been promised that the on-board restaurant services will be improved. :rolleyes:

I hope the discount on fares to the over sixtys still applies! :france:

I have always felt that Continental travellers arriving at Newhaven must be surprised at the run-down environment near the port compared with Dieppe. :eek:
Brian

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I like that crossing,,easier for me to get to than Dover and with 20% over 60 discount very reasonable prices,,,

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Good news, we do most of our crossings on that route as we are only 20 miles from Newhaven. With the discount and miles saved often works out cheaper than Dover, depending which direction we are going.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Great news. Love Dieppe with its excellent Aires and Restos. Hope they keep the OAP discount and reasonable fares!

Should be able to with all that subsidy:).........thought it was against EU policy!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Should be able to with all that subsidy:).........thought it was against EU policy!

It is illegal for governments to do it and there are sanctions(fines imposed on governments), but this subsidy is paid for by Dieppe Council and maybe there is no EU mechanism to take action against local councils.

Geoff

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
It is illegal for governments to do it and there are sanctions(fines imposed on governments), but this subsidy is paid for by Dieppe Council and maybe there is no EU mechanism to take action against local councils.

Geoff

I don't care it saves me money,,,BUSBY,,

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Good news, we do most of our crossings on that route as we are only 20 miles from Newhaven. With the discount and miles saved often works out cheaper than Dover, depending which direction we are going.
We did use it for the first time last year, and quite liked it. Trouble is, it's not much better than Dover for us, almost takes as long from here, but agree about the good aires, shorter crossing time (than most western routes), and lower cost. We thought it might be good for a quicky (trip, that is). Perhaps for just a week or so.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
[QUOTE="busby, post: 2620167, member: 17808"]I don't care it saves me money,,,BUSBY,,[/QUOTE]

I was not for or against - just pointing out to matamoros why it might be possible to continue it.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp

Geoff
Are you sure? In Scotland they have the Road Equivalent Tariff RET which is a £200m pa subsidy. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-41667403

Deleted User

Geoff

I seem to remember a few years ago that the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet had to withdraw some services because it was deemed illegal for the local authorities to subsidise the flights but could be my mistaken memory.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back