Newbies (1 Viewer)

Gillski

Free Member
Feb 6, 2009
Middlesex
Funster No
Evening All

Me and my hubby (Gill and Lee) are looking to buy our first motorhome this year and can't wait - this site is full of brilliant information and many friendly faces!! We're still at the very early stages but with about 20k to spend on a second hand model we're planning UK trips lasting a few months at a time (taking two lively doggies with us).

Are there any makes/models you would recommend or avoid? (My hubby has a Renault van which he has been very impressed with and we've also had Ford vans and cars).

We're thinking that living space first and then kitchen space will be more important than sleeping so are discounting fixed beds and don't want anything too huge that we can't get down a smaller sized road.

It would be really useful to get some feedback from anyone who's in theirs for longer than a couple of weeks on what we should be considering.

Thanks in advance

:Smile: Gill and Lee :Smile:

To get the rainbow, you have to put up with a little rain.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Gill and Lee,

Welcome to FUN, you will get plentty of informed advice one here:thumb:

Our Andy has been motorhoming for years and he can put you wise on many aspects if you would like to have a chat to him.

OK he is a salesman:RollEyes: as well but hes a nice guy and dead honest and is well knowledgable.

Peter

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We're thinking that living space first and then kitchen space will be more important than sleeping so are discounting fixed beds and don't want anything too huge that we can't get down a smaller sized road.

Some of the best living areas mean you have to make them into beds every night :-(

But remember a Luton, fixed bed over cab, is a fixed bed that effectively take up no space. Some are cramped, some are excellent.

£20K will surely get you a first class first van - problem - that's right in the "juddergate" bracket of second hand Fiat/Peugeot vans. Be well aware of the problems. You may well do better with under £20K and the older judder free Fiats if indeed Fiat delivers the goods.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

Gillski

Free Member
Feb 6, 2009
Middlesex
Funster No
Thanks Hilldweller - I've not seen an overcab bed in action but from the photos they look a bit claustraphobic, although making up a bed each night may turn into a pain.

I need to sign off for now as this site is a bit addictive and I need to turn in for the night but will be on lots more I'm sure.

Thanks again
Gill

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Gill and Lee, choosing can be a minefield; many people admit not getting it right until their 3rd motorhome:Doh: They are really expensive mistakes to make. Take your time and look at as many as you can, go to shows and you will literally see hundreds. After a while your ideal layout will become apparent and then its just a matter of finding one for the right price, which in the present climate shouldn't be too difficult. Best of luck and welcome to the fun:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back